Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
standard vs manual starter?

I called napa and they are not sure if the starter they have will work.Cold weather,non cold weather starter.He says maybe manual and auto no different?

My car is 2007 5sp hatch

He said call dealer to get proper number but dealer is closed due to covid.

Hoping someone here knows what I should do.I could get the proper one from amazon but wait weeks even with prime.

I have really no idea if the starter is bad but have appointmrnt tomorrow to have car looked at and would like to have the starter on hand if it is the issue.
UPDATE
Got the cold and normal figured out.

It looks to be how many KW the starter is so the cold uses more power to crank.

No definitive answear as to auto and manual starter though.

Really need to know asap as I am dead in the water.

P.S some say you cant bump start yaris.Havent tried yet.May heve to bridge clutch pedal switch first?

Last edited by Pinchlite; 04-07-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I think that there are different tooth counts on the bendix for auto vs manual. I start my parts searches at toyodiy.com or a toyota dealership website that has the official parts diagrams. Both ways let you search by VIN.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan

Maybe I'm misremembering that info. Looking at ToyoDIY, 28100-21062 is the cold weather spec (1.6kW) which was standard on everything in Canada. I see that part number listed for both auto and manual. It's the same starter as the Echo/xA/xB, so there's lots of places to get a used one from.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Maybe I'm misremembering that info. Looking at ToyoDIY, 28100-21062 is the cold weather spec (1.6kW) which was standard on everything in Canada. I see that part number listed for both auto and manual. It's the same starter as the Echo/xA/xB, so there's lots of places to get a used one from.
Thanks for helping!

Here is the one I was going to get originally

https://www.amazon.ca/Premier-Gear-P...6255857&sr=8-3

Decided not as ship is weeks away.

Here is my vin and starter from DIY....https://imgur.com/a/aeUUZAP

Here is what came up after entering vin...https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-...t/starter-scat
Here is the napa one

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/NET2...ndex=Universal

Why the hell would they not say manual or auto trans if there is indeed a difference?

I may just wing it and get the napa one.Nothing is open and trying to find used is not a one day affair.

I will try that site you mentioned and report back.Thanks again!

Last edited by Pinchlite; 04-07-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan

I think it's just an artifact of the way their parts database is set up. I remember some engines having different starters for auto/manual, might be the case for the 2ZR. Looks like the 1NZ is just the cold/not-cold versions.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yes, you can bump start the Yaris. I did it with my '07 sedan I had, and I did it with my '08 hatchback now. My starter was sticking in cold temperatures, so I bump started it when ever I could to try to save the flywheel teeth.

I recently replaced it with a cold weather starter from o'Reilly. I verified twice if there was a difference between automatics and manual transmissions since I have a manual. I was told there wasn't. Install was easy and relatively quick (took me longer to jack up the car onto 4 stands). I also took a peek at the flywheel teeth that were visible, and luckily they didn't appear to be worn down.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
Pinchlite

I got it push started this morning and have appointment today/I got cold weather starter from napa yesterday.Only diff is KW output.Hopefully this helps others with same question in the future.I decided on shop as the job in itself is fairly easy,but being a canadian car fighting with bolts is the major pain/killer.

Going to get the donut gasket checked while at it.Wish I already had that part because it most likelt needs changing.I think it may be causing that tinkling sound (manifold to pipe)when high rpm especially up hills.Its not any heat shields because some have been entirely removed and other one metal screwed in place.

No tinkiling sound from foot area all winter,Just started as the weather has gotten warmer.This tells me something is expanding more and causing the tinkling sound.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I think it's just an artifact of the way their parts database is set up. I remember some engines having different starters for auto/manual, might be the case for the 2ZR. Looks like the 1NZ is just the cold/not-cold versions.
Perfect.Looks to be so.That explains why no listings saying manual or auto.

Just wanted to make sure.Got the part and its going on this morning.Hopefully its the starter?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm with Cranky on your other thread. Check the fusible links.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'm with Cranky on your other thread. Check the fusible links.
Got it sorted bad starter.Also got a new rear bearing replaced.I did not know it was bad untill he showed me the play and noise.

Took 1 1/2 hour so not too bad in labour.