Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
transmission swap

ok, here's an absurd question mainly based on curiousity, but does anyone know approx how much it would cost to swap an automatic for a manual transmission in a 06 yaris hatch? ballpark?
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kralmrax
ok, here's an absurd question mainly based on curiousity, but does anyone know approx how much it would cost to swap an automatic for a manual transmission in a 06 yaris hatch? ballpark?

Why didn't you just get a stick in the first place?? Or is it just curiousity? I can tell you this, it won't be cheap! If I were to guess, I'd say upwards of 4-5k, you have to figure in labor from taking the auto out and putting the manual in, don't know if they would have to do too much "restructuring" per say.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
cheaper to order a new one with manual and trade in
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Sourcing the parts is harder than the labor itself. Clutch pedal, lines, slave/master cylinders, pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, tranny and other misc. crap. Being a new car, cost and availability of parts could be pricey to say the least. The labor isn't hard if you know someone who can do it. Most tranny swaps can be done over a weekend easy. At least that has been the case with our Z32 300ZX's and SR20 240SX's.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
i figured it would be pretty ridiculous, needed a car in a hurry and it was faster to go auto than stick with the yaris. i'm still damn pleased with the yaris but i will probably look into selling it and picking up one with a stick sometime in the near future. thanks for the quick replies!
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Yes, trading your auto for a standard shift Yaris can be less time consuming/expensive than doing a conversion, and there will not be any warranty issues for sure.
Wish you good luck in finding the car that you really like, and don't get too spoilt by the convenience of the auto too much in the mean time.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote