Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Brand new belt is squeeling

About 10 days ago, I noticed that the serpentine belt was screeching for about 2 seconds sometimes when I first started the car. So I followed the advice I got on this forum on thread 59231, see
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59231

I ordered a new belt from Rock Auto. I installed a new belt about 5 days ago and everything went well. I followed the instructions in the videos at the links posted by 06YarisRS, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8EzgkgE25M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84xtpk8xCi4

I slid a pipe over the handle of my ratchet wrench handle to get extra leverage when loosening the bolt the alternator pivots on. This was recommended in one of the videos (they used a "shotgun barrel" rather than a pipe). I used a magic marker pen to mark the metal slot that the top alternator bolt slides in. I used a pry bar (as suggested in the videos) to tighten the new belt by returning the top alternator bolt to the place marked on the slot.

THERE IS ONE REMAINING PROBLEM, HOWEVER. I notice now that the belt is still screeching for about 2 seconds sometimes when I first start the car.

In addition, the squeeling seems to follow the pattern noted on this youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrVMtyIqIY )which I discovered through this forum, of the squeeling occurring when the ignition key is turned quickly, but not when the key is turned slowly. The video theorizes this is due to the onboard computer not having the time to tell the alternator to decrease its loading. I'm not sure about this theory though.

I just checked and the bolt on the alternator is still in the position marked by the marker pen. And the belt seems appropriately tight and in position.

QUESTIONS: Does anybody have any suggestions? What should I do about this screeching? Should I try tightening the belt even further?

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
2 options:

-wait 1 second before turning the key to the start position

-or tighten the belt but risk potential premature failure of bearings on auxillary units due to a tighter belt.

The perfect tension is as loose as possible with no slippage/squealing which reduces forces on the bearings. If you only have squealing during a quick key turn at start up then just wait for an extra second
Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Before replacing my belt, I ran the engine and saturated the spinning pulleys with brake cleaner a few times. I didn't really care about the belt as I was changing it. I think the pulleys can get glazed when a belt slips. Cleaning the pulleys may help. I agree with tmontague about finding the loosest tension without slipping. So, if you have squeaking, tighten it a bit, maybe a couple of mm at a time until the squeeking stops under all conditions. Since putting the Continental (former Gatorback) on mine, I haven't had so much as a chirp.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
what brand of belt is it?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
These cars are very picky about a belts. You should of got a Toyota belt and your squeal will go away. There is something unique about the Toyota belts.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Bando belt screech and seem to stretch.
Gates are better.
I don't understand why waiting a brief period before starting would affect the belt. Enlighten me.
Is this auto voodoo?
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
I don't understand why waiting a brief period before starting would affect the belt. Enlighten me.
Is this auto voodoo?
You may not be satisfied with the explanation,
but check this out:
https://youtu.be/HRrVMtyIqIY

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Before replacing my belt, I ran the engine and saturated the spinning pulleys with brake cleaner a few times. I didn't really care about the belt as I was changing it. I think the pulleys can get glazed when a belt slips. Cleaning the pulleys may help. I agree with tmontague about finding the loosest tension without slipping. So, if you have squeaking, tighten it a bit, maybe a couple of mm at a time until the squeeking stops under all conditions. Since putting the Continental (former Gatorback) on mine, I haven't had so much as a chirp.
Thanks for the tips 06YarisRS, tmonague and everybody. To answer all of your questions I used a Bando belt from RockAuto belt as 06YarisRS and xdarkxfirex suggested on this forum on thread 59231, see
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59231 . It was my understanding from reading this thread that these Bando belts from RockAuto are as good as OEM Toyota belts.

Regarding why slowly turning the key should matter, see the youtube video in my original post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrVMtyIqIY . They theorize, as I say in my original post, that this is due to the onboard computer not having the time to tell the alternator to decrease its loading.

Thanks again to everybody.

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 04-27-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #9
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
These cars are very picky about a belts. You should of got a Toyota belt and your squeal will go away. There is something unique about the Toyota belts.
These cars aren't picky about the belts, they're picky about having enough tension on them. There's nothing special about the Toyota belt, Toyota just buys the belts from most likely one of the big 3 belt manufactures (Bando, Gates, and Continental) and has them label them differently.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 AM   #10
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
These cars aren't picky about the belts, they're picky about having enough tension on them. There's nothing special about the Toyota belt, Toyota just buys the belts from most likely one of the big 3 belt manufactures (Bando, Gates, and Continental) and has them label them differently.
Thanks B.B.,

Do you have more information to back up what you say that there is no difference between Toyota belts and belts made by Bando, Gates and Contintental?

What about the problem of over-tightening adversely affecting the alternator (or other) bearings, do you have any comments?

A friend thinks that the Toyota belts maybe different in terms of the actual dimensions of the ribs and grooves on the inner surface of the belt.

He also thinks that the theory about the slow key turning allowing the onbaord computer to adjust is bogus. He thinks that turning the key faster and harder just makes for a better contact and more amps through the starter motor and thus more initial speed/load on the belt, hence the squeel.

Any comments by you or others would be appreciated.

R.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #11
RMcG

I believe I have solved the problem. See this post

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740

Thanks,

R.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:48 AM   #12
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
I believe I have solved the problem. See this post

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60740

Thanks,

R.
I had this problem before you have tighten it more. Squeaking is a slipping belt.
So tighten it more but not too much. Trail and error and you will get it..
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
bubbajones101

Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Just changed from dayco to continental. no squeal
bubbajones101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #14
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I had this problem before you have tighten it more. Squeaking is a slipping belt.
So tighten it more but not too much. Trail and error and you will get it..
Mine was squealing on start ups, I grabbed a bolt that fits in the alternator bracket, bolted it in slightly, used the bolt for leverage when using a pry bar to pry the alternator towards the front bumper, retightened the alternator adjusting bolt while applying pressure. Now it's silent even during cold mornings.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #15
DanielNorrisII@Gmail.com

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I had the same problem. Squeal for a second or two almost every time I started the car. Last time I was in for an oil change I asked them about it. They said the belt was good and had a looked around and noticed the gasket was leaking oil right by the belt. It was not a bad leak, never dripped to the driveway, but just enough to get a tiny bit on the belt and small amount at the bottom of the engine bay. Had my gaskets redone and have not had any squealing since.
DanielNorrisII@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Just retension the belt.

I installed a new serpentine belt on our echo last week and after a few drives it squeals. I need to retension it again, too.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #17
Fluxtasy
feed my pet

Drives: Yaris Sedan '10
My previous belt was a Bando and I did not have any issues with it squealing but as someone above mentioned, it does seem to stretch over time and the need to re-tighten it. Probably drove it for around 30k KM and saw cracks showing up.

So I decided to switch back to Toyota OEM belt. IMO this belt is much more fickle. There's no squeals at key start but whenever I turn on the AC and there would be squealing. Revving it up would make the sound go away. I've tried adjusting it a couple of times too. Anyway 2 days ago I brought it to someone and he loosen the tension just a little and it seems to be fine at the moment.

Last edited by Fluxtasy; 06-20-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Fluxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Been awhile since I've posted. Frankly, car has been great so..........however thought I'd share my belt story.

Changed my serpentine at 90K miles, have since rolled over 100k, used an OEM belt and the DIY tensioner mod found on the forum.

Really nothing to it, about $40 all in belt and tensioner, and maybe 15 minutes with a dremel modding the tensioner.

Prepped the alternator bolts a couple of days in advance with some PB blaster, loosened right up.

Couple of minutes to thread around the wheels, initial tension using the "twist" method mentioned already in the forum. Tightened up the bolts, found the lower bolt very easy to deal with using a six sided stubby wrench.

Oh yeah, gloves. Make sure you wear gloves. Don't want to slip off anything using any amount of force down there.

About a week after install I got a "chirp" on start, went and loosened the bolts, couple of turns on the tensioner, checked the "twist", tightened it up, no problems since.

cheers.

PIC - https://www.dropshots.com/NEexpat/da...04-05/16:16:35

*Still trying to post the link to the video here, however if you go to the above link and click on 2018 in the right hand column and scroll down a bit you can see the video there. Anyway...............................

Last edited by NEexpat; 06-25-2018 at 02:51 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, squeeling