Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Twelve Years Later, Dream Realized

Flashback to Fall 2006, a younger me put in a pre-order for a Blazing Blue Yaris hatchback at the dealership. A few weeks later, a Bayou Blue Yaris came in and I bought that one instead since I just couldn't wait. However, I have always had an affinity for the Blazing Blue color and yesterday I finally realized that desire.

I scooped up this 2008 Yaris from the original owner who maintained it well.

In case you're wondering, my Bayou Blue Yaris was sold when I moved to Hawaii, and my second one (white) was sold to a colleague who wanted a reliable car for his son last year. I learned a lot about car detailing and how to do minor maintenance items on Yaris #2 which I found empowering.

I look forward to getting my Blazing Blue Beauty all cleaned up and sharing the journey with everyone!

Last edited by bradbowl; 11-20-2018 at 09:34 PM.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Looks like a much nicer version of my 2007. I really like that blue color, too. Sweet find.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Awesome find, congrats! Low mileage, but not too low, which is good. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Looks great. Congratulations!
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Sweet! I remember you telling me you always wanted a blazing blue. Mine is around that mileage now and climbing fast. Keeping it stock, or any plans for some mods?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Thanks everyone, I value your knowledge and expertise.

My first task is replacing the rear shocks since the dealership recommended that repair. Searching the forum and YouTube gives me confidence that I can do it myself. I see mixed comments from folks about if you should change the front and rear at the same time. It appears that the front shock/strut replacement is more challenging than the rear ones.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Sweet! I remember you telling me you always wanted a blazing blue. Mine is around that mileage now and climbing fast. Keeping it stock, or any plans for some mods?
I remember that! I believe you installed a backup camera in yours around that time.

My wife is probably relieved that I found one since I always point out Blazing Blue Yarii whenever I see them.

I do want to upgrade the stereo, find some nice wheels, give her a thorough detailing, etc. I'm going to tackle replacing the brake pads/rotors after I do the rear shocks. Exciting times!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:26 AM   #8
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

After work, I spent a couple hours cleaning her up today. Wash and clay bar. I'm still amazed at how well the clay works.

It took me awhile to remove these stickers. That PT sticker was more like a thick raised decal which was a pain to get off and clean all the residue away.

There was another even larger one in the glove box. I finally figured out that it stands for Precision Toyota of Tucson.

I ordered a nice combo pack of cabin and engine air filters from eBay for $11/shipped.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
ern-diz

The decals were the first thing I noticed. I would have removed them, too. Not a big fan of decals. I'm currently only rocking a small teq sticker and gold Wheelwell decal. I'm still iffy on them lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Looks slow

Also, rear shocks are an easy and cheap DIY
Old 07-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Looks slow

Also, rear shocks are an easy and cheap DIY
Yeah, I found some great forum posts and YouTube videos on changing them. I just placed my order from RockAuto today.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #12
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Changed the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body, MAF sensor, and did some general engine cleanup since it was pretty dirty.

I noticed a rattle/vibration when stopped at a red light (goes away when in neutral or moving) that many people here have experienced. I tracked it down to the large airflow tube coming off the air filter box (not the tube that connects to the throttle body). A piece of the tube that fits into a little clip doesn't fit anymore and the engine vibration causes it to rattle against the filter box.

I'll have to MacGyver a fix for that.

This weekend it'll be compound, polish and wax time.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Are you talking about the silencer tube? Just remove it. Lol
Old 07-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #14
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Are you talking about the silencer tube? Just remove it. Lol
After reading through forum threads, I learned that tube is known as the snorkel. I did initially think to just remove it but then had the idea to super glue the loose snorkel piece back into the clip. I'm happy to report that the rattle is gone!

It was educational to read about the experiences and thoughts of forum members about different air intakes.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #15
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

I installed the new KYB rear shocks today. The process went smoothly and just like the YouTube tutorials I watched.

Honestly, the old ones didn't look abnormal to me so the service report saying they were leaking and needed to be replaced may have just been trying to gouge $500 from the previous owner. Nonetheless, I'm pleased to have learned how to do something new.

I went ahead and rotated the tires and bought Mobil1 synthetic oil and filter since it's due for a change soon.

Compound and polish is on the todo list for Sunday Funday.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

There could have been some slight leaking on them, so maybe that's why they said it needed to be replaced. Or if they're a shady dealership (I think you guys only have one in Hawaii, and they don't follow the rest of the US actually), then could just be a sales pitch.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #17
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

The employee at the quick lube place that put the oil drain bolt in last must have been in a BAD mood since that thing was really stuck. On the bright side, I got a good workout getting it unstuck.

I received a box of goodies from Amazon a few days early. I bought some Chemical Guys Upholestry cleaner and a rotary brush that both had great reviews. We'll see how it goes. Once I finish up the exterior detailing, I'll get down to business on the interior.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #18
ern-diz

On Wheelwell