Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
But theres good news"

The Smart Car comes with an auto trans that is really an auto clutch. You shift it by pushing the gearsgift.. Theres no torque converter so it slows down when you let off the gas.

Thats a good thing.
While I understand your excitement, have you ever driven a Smart Car? That is BY FAR the WORST transmission I have ever driven - hands down.

But there are several "automated manuals" on the market - VW, BMW, Mercedes, even Nissan in the GT-R, I believe. They CAN be a decent compromise between the two, but the Smart Car is not what I would consider a good example.
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #38
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ have to agree, I test drove a Smart and really disliked the drivetrain. I'd buy an iQ first, much more satisfying to drive.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #39
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Well, most people in Houston drive like idiots anyway, no matter what kind of transmission they got!

But your correlation makes no sense. It allows for both more and less?!?

Bad drivers in the US have nothing to do with the transmission people have in their cars...
My correlation makes perfect sense. Having an automatic transmission (and especially leaving it in Drive) allows you to dismiss having to 'concentrate on/think about' shifting. What you do with that shift of focus is up to you. Some people might concentrate more on the road/driving/their relation to other cars on the road. On the other hand, other people might feel that it frees them up to text/talk on their cell phone/talk to the person in the passenger seat more intently/eat/drink/shave/put make-up on/read, etc.

If a college student lives with his or her parents and has a SAHM or SAHD with traditional SAH duties, then he or she CAN study more than a student away at college because he or she doesn't have to do laundry/plan and execute meals, etc, but that doesn't mean the student WILL study more (to illustrate my point I'm assuming both examples have the same access to group study).

When it comes to Houston drivers, until earlier this year I probably had my head buried a bit in the sand. People are amazingly courteous in parking lots and on two lane residential streets, but on the freeways, feeder roads, and parkways there are more selfish and dangerous drivers than I used to like to admit. I spent most of the month of April this year all over Florida. I've driven in all of the 'Lower 48' U.S. states and in D.C. (45 of them + D.C. in my Yaris and 30 or so of them before I had my Yaris) and South Florida has the worst drivers in the U.S. on many different levels (IMHO)...far worse than Southern California (and I lived in Southern California for 6 1/2 years). Since returning from that trip to Florida in April, I'm more aware of the bad drivers here in the Houston Metro. I'd love to be able to instantly morph into a LEO whenever I see one of these drivers just to be able to pull them over to see gender and age. I'd bet most of them are male and under age 25.

'Bad drivers in the U.S. have nothing to do with the transmission people have in their cars'....I'd say bad DRIVING has LITTLE to do with the transmission people have in their cars. IMHO if a driver can drive a manual transmission car well, they have the POTENTIAL to become a better driver than someone who can't master a manual...BUT that doesn't mean they WILL DEVELOP that potential skill.

I think bad driving occurs in the U.S. primarily for two reasons: 1. Intent (MANY PEOPLE JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT TRULY BEING GOOD DRIVERS) and 2. Required minimum skill level (it is TOO EASY to get a non commercial DL in the U.S).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #40
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
[QUOTE=richard_rsp;659824]While I understand your excitement, have you ever driven a Smart Car? That is BY FAR the WORST transmission I have ever driven - hands down.
QUOTE]

I have. I shifted it myself and it was fine.

Ive heard in D its awefull.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
....Yes, an automatic ALLOWS FOR MORE concentration on the road, but it also ALLOWS FOR LESS concentration and, unfortunately (in the U.S. at least) LESS is usually the result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
My correlation makes perfect sense. Having an automatic transmission (and especially leaving it in Drive) allows you to dismiss having to 'concentrate on/think about' shifting. What you do with that shift of focus is up to you. Some people might concentrate more on the road/driving/their relation to other cars on the road. On the other hand, other people might feel that it frees them up to text/talk on their cell phone/talk to the person in the passenger seat more intently/eat/drink/shave/put make-up on/read, etc.
It doesn't really make sense when you look at it from a logical standpoint.

During the creation of the Interstates or as there known here freeways they went with a laser straight roads to increase efficiency but a side effect of straight roads are that drivers become bored driving roads that don't require concentration and it increases the likelyhood of drivers falling asleep which increases the accident and death rate.
An automatic transmission requires less concentration and skill which increases the likelihood of the driver becoming distracted which increases the likelihood of an accident.
There are many articles out there which correlate this so i'll let Google be your friend.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Now that I can no longer drive a manual the thing I miss most about it is with an auto the car does not slow down very much when you let off the gas.
Yes!!! This!!! This is what actually makes driving in stop-and-go traffic EASIER with a manual than an auto. My friends never believe me when I tell them driving with an auto in heavy holiday traffic is more tiring to me than if I were in my manual trans car. With an auto, you must always be on the brake. With a manual, the car will just poke along at idle without picking up speed. So, it becomes a game to be able to tap the gas pedal at just the right time and amount so that you don't have to touch the brake pedal for miles...

My main peeve about auto trannies is going up long grades. I can't stand when the transmission starts hunting for a gear: losing speed... BAM! jerky downshift with the engine screaming. Picking up speed... BAM! jerky upshift. Uh-oh, losing speed again... BAM! Jerky dwonshift. Over and over again... Yeah you can just manually downshift but the gears are usually so widely spaced that the engie is screaming when you try to stay with traffic...

In the end, though, it is what others have said: personal preference. For me, manual trannies just make driving that much more fun...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #43
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
People have been driving stick for thousands of years (well, close enough), through traffic, on inclines, on highways, in cities. It's not exactly the end of the world, and it lets you really control the car in ways you just cannot, with an automatic...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #44
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Yes!!! This!!! This is what actually makes driving in stop-and-go traffic EASIER with a manual than an auto. .
Learn to shift without the clutch for an even easier experience!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #45
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Learn to shift without the clutch for an even easier experience!
I agree; when traffic is really bad and I get bored, I try rev matching and shifting without the clutch. Going from first to neutral is easy enough but trying to put it into first while coasting takes a little more concentration. But then, that is just one of the fun aspects of having a manual.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #46
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I agree; when traffic is really bad and I get bored, I try rev matching and shifting without the clutch. Going from first to neutral is easy enough but trying to put it into first while coasting takes a little more concentration. But then, that is just one of the fun aspects of having a manual.
Its a good skill to have in case your clutch becomes inoperative. Ive even heard you can put the car in first and crank the engine to start it. The car will move and start without the clutch!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #47
alpha1

Drives: 2011 yaris 1.5 Auto-sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I totally wish my stick was an AT ... sorry Yaris stick lovers but the stick in the Yaris is a pain in the ass. (Maybe it is just my car .. but I find starting from a standstill to be difficult at best. Other than that .. it is fine) Maybe someone has a suggestion ?

For those that will disagree with me ... I have been driving a stick for 29 years so I know what I am doing. I have never had an automatic vehicle .. but I do wish my Yaris was the first.
I wonder if anyone would want to swap their Auto for your stick? Might be an idea to start a swap thread.

(Family members force me to be happy with my auto over a stick but I would have probably picked up the stick if it was just I choosing although I like some aspects of both, especially while drinking my coffee and driving)
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #48
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I totally wish my stick was an AT ... sorry Yaris stick lovers but the stick in the Yaris is a pain in the ass. (Maybe it is just my car .. but I find starting from a standstill to be difficult at best. Other than that .. it is fine) Maybe someone has a suggestion ?

For those that will disagree with me ... I have been driving a stick for 29 years so I know what I am doing. I have never had an automatic vehicle .. but I do wish my Yaris was the first.
I only drive sticks and know exactly what you mean. The Yaris is weak letting out the clutch from a standing start. It took some modding to eliminate the problem.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If I go get a 2012, I would get an automatic. Another Yaris would not be for racing.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #50
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Garm this yaris wasn't supposed to be for racing remember? lol
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #51
GeeToThaEee

Drives: '08 3dr Hatch
I can only justify buying an AT if you drive through traffic many hours everyday. Otherwise can't see why spending 2k (more or less) on AT and not on other extras or potential tuning.

Almost the majority of car companies give better mpg with a stick on the highway, you got better control of the car and needless to say that you actually participate more to the whole thing. Hell I even remember an offroader telling me it's better having a stick eventhough it might have slightly more damage on the transmission after many miles.

So unless absolutely necessary I'd rather have mine with a manual gearbox.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #52
vincentg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I only drive sticks and know exactly what you mean. The Yaris is weak letting out the clutch from a standing start. It took some modding to eliminate the problem.
what modding is this? i also have some difficulty on my first gear. other than that. i have no problem with my manual tranny