Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2018, 03:57 AM   #1
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Quality rear view mirrors

Hi folks,
My Yaris (2.gen, 2007, 5-door hatchback, 2SZ-FE, 1,3 64 kW) needed new outer rear view electric mirrors. Both. Some asshole ripped them off. The original ones were painted - not necessary for me so I bought simple black ones. Brand new from TYC, 50 USD each.

I mounted them in and everything is fine when driving max 80 km/h. But when I go over then both mirrors start to whistle a bit. And when I go 130 km/h (standard highway speed here) then the whistle is LOUD AF.

I tried to search for some sharp edges or anything to brush it off. No luck.
When I squeezed in a huge sponge into the space between the mirror and window (and ducttaped it in properly) then the whistle was gone. I just hoped not to lose that sponge in 130 km/h... Anyway, this is not the setup I would like to keep.

As both rear view mirrors are whistling I would assume it is not a problem of one piece but simply those TYC REAR VIEW MIRRORS JUST SUCKS.

So the question: any tip for rear view mirrors that would stay quiet even in high speeds? Does not matter if they are painted or black. I just do not want some fancy shiny things...

I could of course go for original parts to the local Toyota reseller but paying 250 USD per one piece is a ripoff I am not willing to accept.

Thank you.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #2
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Local Toyota dealer replaced my driver's side one with TYC (I assume because it's whistiling just like yours).
What I found out is most effective, is pushing the cover, like, it somehow loosens and when I push it in, I hear a "click" and whistle goes away. Works every time. Try that and let me know. I also tried applying black silicone but it now whistles more than before :p
Old 03-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Well I tried various squeezing, bending and punching, it did not help much. Finally I just decide to destroy the airflow by glueing in some ugly pieces of rubber to the mirror. It looks awful but surprisingly done the job - no more whistling.

Picture attached.

This year I would like to bring my Yaris back to shine and glory, fit it with new clutch, struts, windshield, fixing a few rusty spots that already appeared... obviously the current rear view mirrors are all but nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3022a.jpg (149.3 KB, 31 views)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote