Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2018, 04:25 AM   #55
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
pics of my yaris trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2093 (1).JPG (205.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2149.JPG (233.2 KB, 79 views)

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #56
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
That is too cool. Your Yaris looks great and the little trailer behind it is just awesome lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 PM   #57
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstingray View Post
I want to add a hitch to my 2009 sedan so I can add a bike rack. Both my mountain bike and my wife's bike have a severely sloped downtube, so I'm looking at both the Draw-Tite Sportframe Trailer Hitch Receiver and Lets Go Aero BikeWing-2 2-Bike Rack at ETrailer.

The sales people are super helpful there and advised that I consult my dealer first because the tongue weight shouldn't exceed 70 lbs. And that's in Canada. I'm in state States where I think it's somehow verboten. With 2 bikes and the rack, it probably won't exceed 70lbs by much.

Anyone experience any repercussions? I've searched the forum but couldn't find anything definitive. I have no towing aspirations.

70lbs tongue weight doesn't sound right, at least not if you're talking about how much weight you can put on the frame behind the rear axle. My 2007 HB can go up to 200lbs of weight on a hitch, so about 150lbs of actual useable cargo if you deduct the weight of the hitch receiver and the rack.

Two bikes plus a rack and a hitch receiver would be at least 100lbs. I've done 1000km drive with four 15" wheels on a cargo carrier no problem on mine, which is roughly 135lbs (34lbs per wheel) plus 35lbs for the carrier and receiver adapter and then the hitch receiver itself, for a total of 200lbs give or take.

I'm in Canada btw, but I drive that setup in the states too.

Now the tongue weight as in a trailer tongue weight is different than load limit. For your application, you're looking at the load limit, which is about 200lbs (at least for the HB).
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #58
grilled cheeseus

Drives: 2007 3 door 5MT
Hazard Fraught Camping Trailer

I built a thing a few months ago!

Weighs 820 lbs with a mattress inside, maybe 50 lbs on the tongue. I installed air helper springs in the rear of the Yaris, which stiffens up the rear suspension so that it doesn't sag. Driven it about 500 miles so far, from interstate highways to dirt forest service roads. The rig has limited power going up hills (like a semi truck), but no stability or braking issues, even at the limits of traction. Still around 28-30 MPG.
grilled cheeseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #59
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktiger60 View Post
Took my little harbor freight trailer mod on a 450+ mile trip (one way) to Astoria Ore. Down through the Columbia river gorge at speeds reaching 90MPH. Had vacation gear in it, not a lot of weight. Those are aftermarket LED taillights.
I had the same trailer! Bought it used for way too much Money and spent way too much Money repairing it, but it gave me no trouble being towed across Canada. Now I want to buy another one - but brand new. How hard is it to build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilled cheeseus View Post
I built a thing a few months ago!

Weighs 820 lbs with a mattress inside, maybe 50 lbs on the tongue. I installed air helper springs in the rear of the Yaris, which stiffens up the rear suspension so that it doesn't sag. Driven it about 500 miles so far, from interstate highways to dirt forest service roads. The rig has limited power going up hills (like a semi truck), but no stability or braking issues, even at the limits of traction. Still around 28-30 MPG.
That is impressive!