Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Bye bye yaris thanks for keeping us alive.

So my yaris did it finally mission, it kept myself and my daughter alive. So happy and greatful I kept it in great condition over the 14 years, it was a rust bucket the outcome would of been alot worst. I was driving on the highway when I changed lanes due to merging traffic from an on ramp, when and SUV driver got pissed of (road rage) and spent up and hit the driver rear side of the car, his tire marks are on the car as in the photo, which caused the car to spin. I hit the concrete median at 100km/h / 62mph crushed the driver side, bounced off crossed over three lines of highway and hit the guard rail on the passenger side about 300 meters away. The driver side wheel came into the cabin and was leaking fuel. Had remove my foot from the wheel, kick open the door, got the seat belt off, got my daughter out from the child seat and exited and ran away and over the guard rail from the car. Happy to be alive, only got part of the plate from the SUV but I got the model and color as he sped away from the accident. My daughter was good, just bruises from the child seat straps, I was in ICU for 2 days. I'm out now nothing broken, just bad swelling in the back and chest. I got a mild concussion with head trauma, and left leg nerve problems due to the swelling. But I'm alive and my daughter still has a dad for tea and dress up party. As the car is a write off, alot of my extra pieces I will be getting rid of soon in the sale section, next week.

Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Ouch! Sorry to hear this. Glad you and your daughter are okay.

And it’s always some asshole/coward in a large vehicle (had two prior acccidents in my Yaris caused by this). Hope traffic cameras caught his sorry ass.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:09 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Glad you're still with us even if your Yaris is not.

Why does it always seem that the bigger the car the bigger the idiot driving it?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Glad you're still with us even if your Yaris is not.

Why does it always seem that the bigger the car the bigger the idiot driving it?
So, so TRUE.

I really hope they catch the SOB. Way too many selfish, hormonal morons on the road (or distracted idiots). I hope you both recover 100% from this ordeal.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:48 AM   #5
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Why does it always seem that the bigger the car the smaller their wedding tackle?

Fixed that for you!
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Holy shit man...glad youre alive!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Glad you and your daughter are ok. I’m equally sick of selfish aholes who usually drive these large vehicles.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris incident road rage

Which airbags deployed? Which seat was the child seat in?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I echo everyone's sentiments. Be well my friend. One more 2006 down. Not many of us left.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wow a Yaris saves its driver AGAIN! Happens a lot. Are you going to get another used one?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Jeebus! thats horrific! I am glad to hear you are okay and relatively in one piece..... these yarii while small are markebly held up great..

i did mount your wing though..
Old 08-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #12
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
So glad that you and your daughter made it through that terrible crime. Get well soon!
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
castles

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Wow. So glad you and your daughter are okay. Sorry about the car, but it's replaceable.
castles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Not sure if they gone the guy, as they have a limited window to catch the guy. Since no one died it not a priority for them, as we have no fault insurance here from what I've been told. If they do find the guy, I'll have to get a lawyer and prove, he was driving, that vehicle, at that time, on that day etc. In the end it will be lots of money wasted for a small return as it would be small claims court I think. I could use that money else where.

The airbag never when off, I went for the recall, but I'm guessing they didn't go off as I didn't hit the bumper square on, it was bend to the side on impact. The child seat was in the passenger rear, forward facing.

Tried to take as much off the car as I could, insurance said I could as long as I replace it with the original. Even the child seat had to be scraped, but insurance replaces it at 100% value, which is good. Which ever scrap yard it goes through, it will be picked apart real fast. Couldn't take out the leather interior, or the jdm tails as I didn't have the original.

As for a next car, really don't like the new yaris, for me it doesn't have that small car charm anymore like past yaris. I had a few choices of used cars in my price range Mazda 3, nope might as well get a ford focus. Kia, nope parts are at Hyundai prices. Corolla, nope very plain and boring. Nissan versa, never been a fan of Nissan. So I picked a used 2017 chevy cruze premier, features wise it has everything and more than the other cars on the list except manual transmission and AWD. It does have 4 wheel disc brakes, apple car play, bluetooth, heated front and rear seats, projection headlamps, leather interior easier to clean with a child, and factory remote starter on key fob or the chevy app. Not a bad car, I'm hoping GM has improved on it passed issues and quality, so will see how it goes.

As for me, I'm still sore, lots of swelling in the back, chest and left leg. On lots of meds to lower the swelling due to a concussion with some brain trauma, as I hit my head in the car, but can't remember when but it was shown in the xray, ct scan or mri, not sure which test does what. So lots of rest time now.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Happy to hear you and your daughter didn't suffer serious injury. Man, your car is really wrecked! Onward and upward.

The 2017 Chevy Cruze gets excellent ratings in every category, including reliability in all major reviews. It's a very handsome car with great drivability. Like many GM products, I believe it's a German (Opel) platform, but I could be mistaken. BTW, did you get the sedan or hatchback model? Please post a photo of your new ride. Drive safely.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
+1 on everyone's comments. Glad you walked away. Stay safe!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #17
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
ouch

prayers!
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
sunsanvil

Drives: 2018 LE 5DR A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
So happy and greatful I kept it in great condition over the 14 years, it was a rust bucket the outcome would of been alot worst.
Looks like the body was in great shape. Had you been been doing any sort of rustproofing over the course of its 14 years?
sunsanvil is offline   Reply With Quote