Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
Fan motor noise...

Does anyone have a fan motor noise coming from under the passenger side dash near the floor? It is a ticking sound and gets faster as I increase the fan speed.
Its freekin annoying.
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Your ventilation system may have injested a leaf or other debris. If so, it will usually pass eventually. Getting at those components can be a real pain.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500snakz View Post
Does anyone have a fan motor noise coming from under the passenger side dash near the floor? It is a ticking sound and gets faster as I increase the fan speed.
Its freekin annoying.
Pull the lower glove box and open the pocket for the cabin air filter. You will probably find a piece of paper that got sucked out of the glove box into the fan. While you have it open pick up a cabin air filter to keep it from happening again.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Pull the lower glove box and open the pocket for the cabin air filter. You will probably find a piece of paper that got sucked out of the glove box into the fan. While you have it open pick up a cabin air filter to keep it from happening again.
Yes! This has happened to many of us. Moral of the story: Don't leave any loose papers in the glovebox.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Or get a filter to cover that hole.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
With or without a filter, paper can get sucked out of the glovebox. Without the filter, it will get sucked into the fan. With a filter, it will get sucked onto the filter top and restrict air flow. Although I installed a filter, I only keep essentials in the glove box in the vinyl folder.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I seem to get a rattle from the fan when the engine is cool (after the "cool engine" light has gone off, for about the first 15 minutes of driving) and at an idle, while the fan (any setting) is on max heat and at speed 2 or greater. Any suggestions?

It goes away when the engine warms up, doesn't rattle while I'm driving, and is definitely coming from the front/dash area.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I seem to get a rattle from the fan when the engine is cool (after the "cool engine" light has gone off, for about the first 15 minutes of driving) and at an idle, while the fan (any setting) is on max heat and at speed 2 or greater. Any suggestions?

It goes away when the engine warms up, doesn't rattle while I'm driving, and is definitely coming from the front/dash area.

It might be the "Upper Instrument Panel Rattle" issue (see the TSB in this post):

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tsb

I forgot that there is also a TSB on the "Blower Motor Noise & Vibration" where the resolution is the installation of plastic mesh between the glove box and the fan assembly.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
500snakz

Drives: 08 Polar white hatch
NO...it's NOT a piece of paper stuck in the fan. I pulled the glovebox and filter before I posted this. With the glovebox pulled out, and the filter removed, I can look into the opening and see the fan assembly and it makes a ticking noise coming from the fan blower motor.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with theirs?
Thanks CTScott, I will follow up on that tsb...
500snakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500snakz View Post
NO...it's NOT a piece of paper stuck in the fan. I pulled the glovebox and filter before I posted this. With the glovebox pulled out, and the filter removed, I can look into the opening and see the fan assembly and it makes a ticking noise coming from the fan blower motor.
I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with theirs?
Thanks CTScott, I will follow up on that tsb...
You under warranty? Call the service department and bitch up a storm. Now a word of warning...... if it is something that got sucked in and is hitting you will end up paying for the repair. In a longshot the fan may be bad..... parts do go bad and warranty should cover it.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 AM   #11
tomgeorgia
Banned

Drives: 2007 LB
Electric motors can do this if there are defective brushes, but I just do not know if it is a brushless motor.
tomgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote