Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #235
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Do you need to leave the card in the slot or does it just load from that slot?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #236
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door
Mine is installed! What a freaking nightmare!

The basic install was not too bad. I had to slot the original mounting brackets as the radio set too far forward. Once I did that, the install was easy. I mounted the GPS antenna on the black plastic filler under the wipers. I already had the XM radio antenna mounted there. The GPS antenna is similar in size and shape, and both blend in very well. Photos are below.

The manual SUCKS! It took me forever to figure out how to pair my phone to the radio via blue tooth. Then the GPS came up in Chinese even though the language was set to English, and all other functions were in English. Finally figured out the GPS didn't know where to find the software. After programing in the sd card to the gps, all is well!

On mine there is a pink wire marked "park". This wire must be grounded to get a dvd to show up on the screen.

Here's where my XM antenna is mounted.

Here's the GPS antenna mounted there as well.

Here it is installed and running.

And here's a photo of the back of the unit.

I'm having a drink now!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #237
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
^ Good job, Dragracer! Looks good! I was a little skittish for a second, peeling that trim up and away, and I just KNEW it was never gonna go back on right, but it did. I am happy with mine too! :)
Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #238
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Do you need to leave the card in the slot or does it just load from that slot?
I don't know. I need to test that tomorrow (was getting dark on me). There are 2 slots, one on the left and one on the right. On the right one I have my music, videos, etc. The left one has the GPS software stick in it. If I have to leave it, I don't mind. It's not in the way.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #239
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
I have a 2008 and 2009 sedan, will this work for me? What parts do I need (silver plastics) to cover / go around the unit
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #240
chrisj

^ No idea, really. As long as you have a 200mm opening that's double din, should work. I think stuff's the same as far as the radio in the LB and sedan, isn't it? Mine's a 2009 LB.

If it is the same, you need nothing as far as fitment goes. Ends up looking stock. Flush and nice.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #241
hyprmiler

Looks like I need to buy a double din conversion kit for the Toyota Yaris Sedan. The standard radio on the Yaris Sedan is larger, so a kit is needed - http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Yaris-Dou...item45f37a8d47

So I guess it will be a giant pain in the $@#@ to take the old radio out, and the entire dash plastics need to come out do this right? =/

Do you think an after market sound system like this will help or hurt you in resale value?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #242
chrisj

^ Yikes. It was fairly easy on the LB. Don't know about resale value, but I kept my stock radio to put back in if I get rid of the car (or something happens to the new radio). We plan on keeping the car anyway, so....

I know the unit is 200mm wide and is double din. Connectors for the Yaris are included. I just plugged it right in. Seems like your biggest deal will be the fitment part.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #243
facuevas

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Well I also bought myself the one from ebay but having trouble with gps.

I have card installed on left side.

Anyone had trouble?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (62.7 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (67.1 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (134.8 KB, 384 views)
facuevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #244
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyprmiler View Post
Looks like I need to buy a double din conversion kit for the Toyota Yaris Sedan. The standard radio on the Yaris Sedan is larger, so a kit is needed - http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Yaris-Dou...item45f37a8d47

So I guess it will be a giant pain in the $@#@ to take the old radio out, and the entire dash plastics need to come out do this right? =/

Do you think an after market sound system like this will help or hurt you in resale value?
Not bad, I went to a Toyota dealer and ordered mine for $90 bucks. Here is a video on HOW TO do it! it's very easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xySrP...eature=related

[IMG]<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="960" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xySrPj7A2rw" frameborder="0"></iframe>[/IMG]

Derick.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #245
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by facuevas View Post
Well I also bought myself the one from ebay but having trouble with gps.

I have card installed on left side.

Anyone had trouble?

Thanks
I also have mine in the left slot. I had a problem with mine too, saying it couldn't find the software. I clicked on another file in the folder, something like SG08.exe I think. This software did an update and then the GPS ran okay.

I haven't tried it a 3rd time to make sure it is holding the settings, but that .exe file that comes up (showing in your picture) didn't work for me. I touched the screen inside the folder until I found the other file I mentioned above. I wasn't in the car at all yesterday so I don't know if it's still okay.

I wish others who have this unit would respond about the GPS part. No one ever mentioned having the problems we had.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #246
hyprmiler

Thanks for the link on the installation on the yaris sedan.

i've never installed any in - dash electronics before but i'm fairly handy when it comes to this kind of thing, and i'm great with computers.

I'm assuming from reading this entire thread that all I need to do is remove the plastics, remove the old unit, install new bracers / mounting, install the new unit (power / gps / standard audio plug cables / right?)

anyone have a more detailed walk though @ all? Christmas is coming up, and it might be worth it to get something in here and pull out my Garmin which has been adhered to my dash for the last 2+ years.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #247
chrisj

Okay, on the GPS software load. It came up fine today, and yes, the chip is in the left slot. You have to run that SG08.exe something program instead of the other one though.

I am having one little issue, and it's that I can't find the menu to watch video from my MicroSD chip. Music yes, video no. Of course the manual is useless in just about everything to do with this unit.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #248
hyprmiler

What vendor of GPS navigation is built into these units? Is it updateable?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #249
facuevas

Drives: Toyota Yaris
I tried browsing and changed to igo9 utility.exe, now it doesnt say cannot find software, it just doesn't do anything
facuevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #250
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

It should read: \storagecard\igo8_8.3.2.79297\igo8.exe

While you are there, click on the one that looks like a clock and set your time zone. Otherwise the GPS clock will be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facuevas View Post
I tried browsing and changed to igo9 utility.exe, now it doesnt say cannot find software, it just doesn't do anything
Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #251
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

I bitched about it in my post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I wish others who have this unit would respond about the GPS part. No one ever mentioned having the problems we had.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #252
chrisj

^ Oh okay. Sorry.