Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
rpster

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Yet another 2ZR swap - Auto to Manual + CARB legal

Inspired by the other awesome 2ZR builds here, I was hoping for the planets to align and give me a reason to embark on this swap on my own 2007 HB. When the auto trans finally gave up the ghost at 248k miles, the door was opened. It became clear that a full rebuild of the trans was needed, I of course decided on the harder option: 2ZR swap + manual swap + make it CARB legal.

Here's what I have so far:

Donor Car

Found a manual XD at a Pick-N-Pull near me in relatively good condition that I could pull the engine, trans, mounts, harness, ecm, and associated accessories for the swaps. The longer mileage on the car necessitates some additional inspection and overhaul, but the combined cost is still less expensive than sourcing a "tested" engine/trans.

Electrical
With the XD's engine harness, there's a minimal amount of modifications needed to make the electrical work. On the engine side it's the MAF sensor (pinout is different from the Yaris). Also, a speedometer needs to be added to the XD transmission since my Yaris is non-ABS.

For the manual swap, the clutch neutral safety switch plug already exists on the harness in the footwell. Simply plug and play.

Emissions
To pass California BAR for smog, the cat must match the engine. The serial on the Yaris cat will not pass for the 2ZR, so a new cat had to be purchased. As long as the ECM matches the engine and all other emissions components are in place (fuel return, evap canister, etc), BAR guidelines will be met. CA BAR Engine Change details

A/C
Compressor and hoses are different for the 2ZR, but compatible with the hard lines and existing condensor. I didn't get a chance to discharge

Upgrades
Changing out 5th with a lower geared set for lower RPMs and swapping in an MFactory Helical LSD while I have the transmission open for inspection.

Planning & Tracking Google Docs
These docs were compiled using info found here, verifying parts fitment on sites like ToyoDIY and Amayama, and the official service manuals for each. You're welcome to track my progress and/or use as a parts reference.

2ZR Swap Tracker - Google Sheet
2ZR Swap Checklist - Google Doc

Special thanks to tmontague, brushforhire, and ArmstrongRacing for their detailed threads

Engine Out!

Brake booster removed

Floor shifter installed
rpster is offline   Reply With Quote