Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
How closely have you looked at other cars like the Fit or Versa?

While the only car I've driven so far was a Yaris sedan automatic, I have looked at some of the others very closely. BTW, since I'm only interested in the liftback Yaris, that's the model I've been comparing to these others. The Fit and Versa have some very nice features, and some other aspects that are actually nicer than the Yaris, but to me they're both very bland cars. Nissan makes good vehicles, but they just don't have the pristine track record of Honda or Toyota. While I like the Versa, I like it the least of these 3. The Fit is a typical Honda. It's very well built and seems to be very smartly designed. But the Fit and Versa both SEEM like nothing more than econo boxes while there's something exciting about the Yaris. The Yaris seems more like a specialty niche vehicle like a Mini Cooper or a Miata. It has that type of a sexappeal (at least the liftback anyway). I guess that's why I'm so attracted to the Yaris. I'm still waiting for my first test drive of a Yaris LB 5 speed, as well as the Fit a Versa. Once I drive them all, I'll be able to make a better comparison.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I couldn't get past the looks of the Fit, and the Versa is not even in the same class as the Yaris when it comes to MPG. Nissan loves to pile on the options, most of which will break soon after the warranty expires. hehe

The Fit is hands down bigger in the storage area. Also 4 doors is nice. Cruise control, and side airbags are standard I think. Paddle shifters for the 5 speed auto. If I had to do it all over again, I would look a little harder at the Fit. Plus the Fit is a few grand more $$$.

I would go test drive a Fit and forget the Versa which is Nissan (Renault)!

The Yaris definately kicks both their asses in real world MPG! I'm seeing 35+ city and 40+ hwy.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
About 10ft for the Fit and Versa, and I love my sexy ass liftback!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
The Versa was in top 5 pick for Gentlement Cars at www.askmen.com which is a very popular web site for men.
Yaris is top MPG compare to Fit and Versa.
Fit got more space and Mods.
Versa is nice, but the interior is so ugly for my taste.
Honda is not my type, i had Nissan before, Toyota is something new to me.
I Love the Yaris, but if you let me pick again, i woulnd't pick the Yaris.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
I Love the Yaris, but if you let me pick again, i woulnd't pick the Yaris.
Why not?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Those cars are fugly.

Honestly the Nissan is kinda cool if it was 3 door and the Honda I would like more if it was 3 door. Being 5 door they just look silly to me. I really don't even know why our cars come with a back seat. The hatch is a place to load up stuff for me not people.

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 05-18-2007 at 05:30 PM.
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
Why not?
kindda hard to say, but i'm getting tired of toyota, It's will last forever and stuff like that, but i'm really don't feel comfortable in it.
Thingking about spending couple grands to make it feel more faster.....etc.
I think it's will end up paying around $22-$30k for the yaris.
My sedan plus apr is $18k.
Turbo-$3 to 4K
New spring Struts - $300-400 bucks.
Etc...
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
kindda hard to say, but i'm getting tired of toyota, It's will last forever and stuff like that, but i'm really don't feel comfortable in it.
Turbo-$3 to 4K
Etc...
Yeah but the best part about that is the fact that you have a Truly Unqiue car! That no one will have!

Lets be honest here... the Fit and the Versa FEEL more like small Station Wagons... where the Yaris feels more like a Go cart... And we all know you would end up spending money on those cars too...for much the same reason! Plus name me another car for 25 grand that will give you the Gas Milage, Space, and performance of your supped up Yaris...

But then again...Image is REALLY important to some people!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
grampi

Quote:
Turbo-$3 to 4K
Etc...
That doesn't sound like a Toyota thing though. It sounds more like you'd end up doing those mods to just about any car.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Sinaz

Drives: 07 Liftback
I looked at the Yaris, the Scion xB, and the Honda Fit.

The xB I drove was a limited edition sport build... very fun to drive, but way to expensive. I found the 5-door set up to be conveniant... but the Yaris' interior really won me over, as I loved the Echo that I had access to for a couple years dating a girl back in '99.

My girlfriend (current) was pushing me on the Fit because she works for Art Center College of Design which considers Honda one of their leading sponsors. We're not positive, but the Fit may have been a by-product of one of the Honda programs there. So, she is biased.

When I drove the Fit, it felt a little heavy compared to the Yaris. I really really really really liked the "Relax" mode which we dubbed "The Chase Lounge Effect". And all we could think about was long road-trips with the luxury of the passenger sitting in the back seat and totally stretching out.

Ultimately, it came down to a price war, and the Yaris (still my first choice) won. The cubby-rich interior really held me.

Visually, I felt the Yaris had more potential to stay fresh looking. I haven't done anything to the body other than tint the windows, and it looks great. I'm eager to put a nice simple kit on it.

The Fit looks kinda... well, it looks like a minivan that shrunk in the laundry. The Blaze Orange sport model is the only one that would have sufficed for my aesthetics.
Sinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
When I was looking at these cars, I was looking mostly at the Yaris, the Fit, and a Hyundai Accent 3dr hatch.

It came down to the Yaris and the Fit because Hyundai just doens't have the resale value and quality in place that Honda and Toyota do.

Then it came down to looks as the MPG is very similar with the Fit and the Yaris.

Exterior: Yaris trumps the Fit. The Fit looks like a shrunken mini-van and I don't like that. The Yaris looks SWEET.

Interior: I LOVE the interior of the Fit. Absolutely LOVE it. It is 100x better looking than the Yaris in every way, and the interior space is awesome. I LOVE the configuration of the seats.

I drove both cars, and I liked each of them almost equally.

I didn't care about the standard side airbags and what-not with the Fit.

What I cared about was Price.

My Yaris 3 dr Liftback, standard transmission with "C" Package (That's A/C, power locks and windows, rear window wiper, 4 speakers, etc) was $16,400 CAD before taxes and stuff.

The Fit LX which is the one I would get is $17,600 or something close. So it's already $1000 more.

Then it comes to the Government Rebate that Canada is doing. I get $1000 back for my Yaris, I wouldn't if I got the Fit it fell JUST short of the requirements.

So really my Yaris was 15,400 so thats 2 grand less than the Fit.

Do I really have to think about it? Toyota name, great MPG, great looking car, interior is a little "meh" but it's grown on me, and I rarely have anyone in my car or take a lot of stuff with me so interior space or cargo room isn't much of a concern.

Yaris wins 100%
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
Yeah but the best part about that is the fact that you have a Truly Unqiue car! That no one will have!

Lets be honest here... the Fit and the Versa FEEL more like small Station Wagons... where the Yaris feels more like a Go cart... And we all know you would end up spending money on those cars too...for much the same reason! Plus name me another car for 25 grand that will give you the Gas Milage, Space, and performance of your supped up Yaris...

But then again...Image is REALLY important to some people!

Still i am really love my yaris, it's the cheapest car out there but still feel and look like a Sport Exotic Car.
If the shift stick is where around the Stereo as, like the new Honda Odyssey, and the stering wheel a little bit smaller, or similliar like Civic. i will be alot happier
25 grand will not get me another car that got the same Gas Mileage as Yaris, but it's sure i will spend it on Camry Hybrid.
Don't take me wrong about Yaris, Image is really not important to me. Or else i woulnd't got it.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Sinaz

Quote:
Still i am really love my yaris, it's the cheapest car out there but still feel and look like a Sport Exotic Car.
If you think the Yaris looks and feels like a sport exotic... you need to get out more.

The granny SUV-style seats and full on plastic interior definitely don't remind me of Italian leather bucket seats. And nothing about the mere presence of a hatchback gets me thinking about midship engines, automatic hard top convertables, butterfly wing doors, nor roadster headrest fairings.

I love my Yaris... but "exotic" it is not. :P
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
The Stig

Drives: 07 LB MM 5spd, 99 M Coupe
As a daily driver, I want:

1, cheap (good MPG, upkeep)
2, reliable
3, at least moderately fun to drive
4, good resale value

Didn't pick Honda Fit because dealers want $4000 markup, even he told me to "ignore" that little sticker...Greedy mofos not going to earn a penny from me. Besides, I really don't like the latest Honda/Acura manual gearbox and clutch. So fun to drive is definitely out the window....

Didn't pick Versa because it's a bit boring looking for my taste...I didn't even bother to test drive one....However, it does seem like more of a "proper" car.

Picked the Yaris. Mainly because friend of mine hooked me up (12.8k out the door)...Love the clutch (compare to Hondas/Acuras), cheap, reliable, wheels all the way out in the corners (tiny overhangs = nimble)....Also, as I recently found out a feature that Toyota never advertised for the Yaris...It actually IS a chic magnet!! You have no idea how many girls telling me how cute this car is...
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #15
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinaz View Post
If you think the Yaris looks and feels like a sport exotic... you need to get out more.

The granny SUV-style seats and full on plastic interior definitely don't remind me of Italian leather bucket seats. And nothing about the mere presence of a hatchback gets me thinking about midship engines, automatic hard top convertables, butterfly wing doors, nor roadster headrest fairings.

I love my Yaris... but "exotic" it is not. :P
shit you got me right there. it's just another fancy way to describe our yaris lover. but hey Lambo, Porsche, some Lotus turn head at my car it's Make me feel like i'm in a real Sport Exotic car.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post

The Fit is hands down bigger in the storage area.
Its the one thing Im VERY envious of. I really wish I had the space behind the seats that the Fit does

(oh, that and no 40/60 split unless up go up to the RS model)

those are my only "regret I dont have" features I couldnt get in my yaris.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Sinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Its the one thing Im VERY envious of. I really wish I had the space behind the seats that the Fit does

(oh, that and no 40/60 split unless up go up to the RS model)

those are my only "regret I dont have" features I couldnt get in my yaris.
They should rename the Fit to The TARDIS... I swear it has more interior space than the car physically occupies...
Old 05-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #18
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
lol it's so true. The Fit does seem to have a crazy amount of space. When I was looking at them a while back I could fit my full fledged mountain bike in the back without removing the front tire

fold down the seats flat on the floor, slide the bike in...voila The only thing bad about the design is since the fuel tank is under the passenger seat, you hit your foot on the buldge every single time and it annoyed the hell out of me.

I was suprised. no way will that happen with my Yaris
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote