Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester View Post
Car has ~5000 miles.

It has larger injectors, emanage, a full 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo back, clutch, lightweight crank pulley and some lowering springs.

Stock motor, pump gas, no meth, it has a smaller intercooler than what we run on the xB, but it's plenty for the power level.

What exactly would include the ZPI kit?
Do you already have an estimate $$$ ???
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #20
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
What's your boost level? I'd wish for lower boost levels BUT having seen N/A conversions, I'd imagine we're talking 10-14 lbs?

The pulley replacement is a logical thing. I like that. Doing anything with the stock motor mounts? Not being a supercharging guy, how does the idea of a larger (bored out) throttle body and polished instake manifold sound? Make it smooooooooth.

The meth injection might be a smart thing. Might look at a crank scraper and a fuel return line. I'm not overly familiar with the Yaris engine. Actually I need to stay away from it...I'll get myself into trouble. I'll just stick with stereos and my friend's turbos.

Just BE CAREFUL! I hate hearing about engines self-destructing. Keep that boost manageable.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
What did the car baseline on that dyno?

It definately sounds good. What are you using for engine managment? Have you adjusted timing yet?

Ashley
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Interesting. Can you tell us what the mods are to the vehicle? What is the weight...after all that's one of the primes in vehicle racing, power to weight.

180 someodd Hp @ 2500 lbs..., with a good hookup on street tires you should be seeing 14-15 second quarter. MAYBE a high 13...maybe. DRs or slicks should be able to take a half second maybe more off that.

Where's the power band? Is it wide? You said you were running rich. perhaps a little boost here, some timing there and you could squeak out another bit of Hp. What about the intercooler? You're running one...meth injection on it? That'll DEFINATELY help on 93 octane.

More info! I'm not going to do something like that, I've already learned my lesson with my daily driver (SRT-4), but I am definately interested.

Here's a wicked idea...We have DOHCs right? You CAN make it a TT...

Think about it, running lower boost smaller, quicker turbos, very little lag. Hell, they just did it with the SRT-4 and it's not too expensive either. The ones on the SRT-4s aren't any more expensive than the TRD superchargers. You've already got a standalone don't you? Injector size? What spark are you running to the engine? You've probably got plenty of air, are you working with a 2 1/2" in or a 3"?

I think I covered it...fuel, fire and air. Here's something to get your mind going, the pic is huge so I just gave the link:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/atta...4&d=1166776795

...All right...

I can't stand it! What are the REAL numbers besides the F/A ratio. What's your compression at max boost? You're running these #'s on stock internals? Do you have an oil pressure reading? What about your fuel flow? Not to say it can't be done...just watch yourselves though.

There is not going to be any "lag" in a traditional sence, but it will just pick up on the top end since tha car has high compression and is really an NA car. The question is when does the car achive full boost? Put it in 4th at 35 MPH or so, hit WOT and tell us at what RPM the car hits full boost, and what that boost # is. There is no need for twin turbos on this car. All you need is a properly sized turbo and you will hit full boost under 3000 RPM and hold it to redline.

Ashley
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #23
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
The sound is sooo sweeet. I'm going to have to start saving.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #24
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Freeking sexy i say , just watch out with the boost or it will blow the thing out, how much boost are you currently runing?

The video is sweet

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #25
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Obviously there's not going to be any lag...it's a S/C. I was just floating the idea of a TT setup on a DOHC vehicle. I might agree with you about the "no need" for TTs on this vehicle. Technically since the engine isn't engineered for speed and power, there's no need for a S/C either. The top end power won't be there like it would from a turbo but still, it is there. This is why looking at the numbers and graphs would help us make decisions.

The TT argument could go on for a while.

When you say "proper sized turbo" you mean what will give the mean performance. The middle ground of boost lag and overall boost pressure. Hell, there's no need for a TT setup on a Supra, a 300z, a WRX or EVO...but they're out there.

An example is the SRT, give a good manifold with twin stockers and you have just as much output as a big "laggy" turbo with faster spool. Port and clip those babys and you're going to be screaming. Tell me the sound alone wouldn't give a chub or two! On the other hand, they made that 2.4L for a turbo application. DCR is working with at least 500 Hp on the twin Mitsu stockers at a faster spool than a GT30 or GT35.

I like the open ended discussion though. Please, don't get the idea that I'm trying to shoot it down. Having seen heads blow from too much boost...I just want you guys to BE CAREFUL!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
i think i just messed my pants.............
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
What is important here is that as more and more people do get this, that will lead to more and more people taking notice and making more and better parts for the Yaris. I see this turbo app now where is the guy going with the NA build. Id love to see be able to have my Yaris scream up to about a 10k rpm redline. Someone need to hook up with JUN or Top Secret and have them tune the Yaris. Awesome results btw.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #28
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Get AEM to do the EMS for the Yaris and you'll have 10K ability. You'll have to re-work the entire engine though from top to bottom...

I agree with the tuning idea. Demand is the mother of invention!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #29
nester
I made a post!

Drives: 2006 Scion tC-t
Send a message via AIM to nester
Quote:
Get AEM to do the EMS for the Yaris and you'll have 10K ability. You'll have to re-work the entire engine though from top to bottom...

I agree with the tuning idea. Demand is the mother of invention!
The problem with the AEM is no DBW support.. So you're going to have hard wire in a EMS, while keeping your stock ECU for drive by wire.. which is no fun..

Or convert to a cable throttle, which is still no picnic.. Wiring nightmare.

I also don't think you're going to be spinning a stock motor to 10k. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.. or something..
Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #30
nester
I made a post!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #31
nester
I made a post!

Quote:
What's your boost level? I'd wish for lower boost levels BUT having seen N/A conversions, I'd imagine we're talking 10-14 lbs?

The pulley replacement is a logical thing. I like that. Doing anything with the stock motor mounts? Not being a supercharging guy, how does the idea of a larger (bored out) throttle body and polished instake manifold sound? Make it smooooooooth.

The meth injection might be a smart thing. Might look at a crank scraper and a fuel return line. I'm not overly familiar with the Yaris engine. Actually I need to stay away from it...I'll get myself into trouble. I'll just stick with stereos and my friend's turbos.

Just BE CAREFUL! I hate hearing about engines self-destructing. Keep that boost manageable.

Boost is between 7.5psi and 8psi. Nothing on the motor mounts. Can't port the manifold, it's plastic.. Throttle body, maybe, but it has a lot of ($$$) electronics in it..

Return style fuel system is only needed if you want to be able to bump the fuel pressure from stock, which is not really needed at this power level with these injectors.. The stock pump and fuel lines will flow fine at this level.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #32
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
All I can say is.....this is the beginning of a REALLY good thing.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #33
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
is this turbo thing will fuck your car up really fast? i mean i got no idea how turbo works and last in your car?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #34
ZPIracing

Drives: Scions
Lightbulb

Ok guys I just read thru a lot of this so I will try to answer as many questions as I can if I miss one let me know.

Reliability:

A turbo car is as reliable as the tune, we have turbo tC with over 60k on it and our personal turbo xb with 40k of pure hell put through it these cars are on stock engines and our in perfect running order. If a car is tuned well with a well designed kit the car should last a very long time with an aftermarket turbo kit. I know we have all heard horror stories and I am sure the Yaris world will be no different. Just remember that it is what you make it, if you can’t afford to play then don’t.

You should only turbo the car when you have the ability to buy all the parts that are needed to make it run correctly. Most of this is included in the kit but you get the idea.

Performance

Our Yaris kits add roughly 100whp to mix; this will make for an exceptionally fast car taking in to consideration the weight. Low 14 high 13 ¼ passes are a reality with tires and a good driver.

This kit you will see some lag below 3k this is very minimal and the car accelerates so fast that you are not here for very long.

This kit will come on .6 bar roughly 6.5-7psi. This kit will add 2-5mpg to your already unreal gas mileage when driven in off boost settings (highway)

Price & availability

We will have these kits in stock at the end of next week. We have not decided on pricing yet but you can expect it to be in the 3-4k range. This will be a bolt on kit including everything needed to install and operate this kit. This is not like some of the other kits on the market that do not include fuel tuning components.

Stays tuned to ZPIracing.net for updates and let us know if you have any other questions. I am sure there are 100 grammatical errors in this post I am sorry it is late and I suck at English.
ZPIracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #35
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Nice. Do you see those boost levels as the max...or rather the most you feel comfortable with going to for reliability?

Indeed...I think I called that 1/4 time. I would imagine that you'd rather use a wider street tire, DR or slick to get those 13 second times. The stock tires are NOT the first tire I'd choose to go racing with.

Strip the yaris down do some good suspension work like coilovers, sways, struts and some chassis braces underneath you could have a fun little SCCA car. As for the 1/4 mile...I guarantee you could probably sucker some rube into a few bucks by beating him in his civic SI or by beating the spread on estimates of your 1/4 mile time!

What ZPI said is absolutely TRUE! "if you can’t afford to play then don’t"! I have seen SO many kids crying about thier cars breaking when they push them hard. Be prepared for circumstances that are unforseen.

This is EXACLTY why you won't see me touching the engine of my Yaris. Not that I can't afford it, rather I DON'T want to. On the other hand, the stereo system and the vehicle's electrical system are my domain. I'm in full control there.

Bottom line guys, keep ahead of what you're doing, don't let Mr. Murphy kick you in your a$$! Let's see some more.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #36
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Dammit still need to save up a few months to get myself some turbine action... and then...

ZPI guys, a couple of questions if I may, and this might be of interest to others too.

I've been going through your site and looking at the stuff you have for the xA/xB, and I'm quite interested in the potential with the low compression pistons and a turbo kit. What kind of gains have you guys managed with this combination? And what about with the Stage 1 head?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote