Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
rytis

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback 5dr
How much did you pay for your 2010 Yaris?

This thread is about pricing for a new 2010 Yaris.

Please reply like this:

Yaris type
Options
Price for the car
Price out the door

Your buying experience

I'm currently shopping for one and I would like to hear what you guys and gals paid for yours.

The best quote I've got so far (in NJ, through email):

2010 Yaris 5 door HB Auto Black Sand Pearl
Power Package
All Weather Package

$14,000 including rebate.

The car is still due to arrive at the dealer next week.

I want to do the 0% financing though, and told this to the dealer, so then he says it's $14,750. He wouldn't give me an Out The Door price, but he listed the fees they charge: "Before you do the tax, $198.00 Vehicle Protection Program (window etch). Then 7% NJ sales tax. Motor Vehicle Tire Fee $1.50 per New Tire ($7.50). If you are financing $19.00 Credit Inquiry Fee. Registration/Title Fee (estimated) $299.00 for new plates and $99.00 for transfer. Documentary Fee $279.00. Online Registration Fee $7.70."

Adding all of that up comes out to:

$16,606.56 total

I told him I will not be needing the Vehicle Protection Program window etch, but he told me all these fees are mandatory and cannot be taken off (although from another dealer's quote this was listed as optional). Without it, it would come out to 16394.70 total.

What do you think about this?

Can't wait to hear your prices and experiences.
rytis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
absurd. tell him you refuse to pay any of those fees, and if he won't take them off, refuse to buy the car. The only mandatory fees should be tax, title, and plates. everything else is an option.

you should also be going to banks and other places to try and secure financing as well, to try and get a better deal.

And make a counter offer of what you are willing to pay, like $14,000.

Also check kbb.com, edmunds.com, & nada.com for invoice pricing. play hard ball, you should be able to get a great price.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
rytis

thanks for the advice why?, I'll refuse to pay those fees, and I'll stick to where I drew the line at $14,000.

I've never financed anything, I went with this one because it's 0% from Toyota. I never did the math of how much it would cost to do it through the bank.

And how is the car financed, is it on the car only, or the total?

Let's say the price is $15,000, and a bank rate of 1.9%, would this add 285 to the cost? And then I can grab the rebate from toyota, and get a better deal, and the net cost is lower?

Also what rates are possible to get?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
0% Apr upon credit approval. You need to check to see if your credit is qualified for o%. Go to your bank and ask about it, if you do and dealer say you not, then tell them you go somewhere else.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
if you can get 0% financing, go for it, because you won't find a better deal. As was said above, you need to find out if you qualify.

And no, it would not add just $285. The interest is compound, and added every single month. It just pays to go into a financing deal with other options. Every single part of a car deal is negotiable. People forget that sometimes.

You'll have to shop around at different lenders to see what they will offer you. Interest rates on car loans can vary a ton, it is usually best to start at your bank first, and then look at others.

When it comes down to it, the more qoutes you get, the more patient you are, the more willing you are to negotiate, and walk away from a deal, the better chance you will get a great deal. You do have to be reasonable, and know what the dealers pay for the cars, but that info is around nowadays. The more information you have, the better.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
I just bought a 2010 Yaris a few weeks ago to replace my totalled '09.

Here is what I got:

-2010 Yaris 3-door hatchback (5-speed)
-power package
-cruise control
-cold weather package

I paid $14,087, minus sales tax & license plates (which I haven't done yet). The total will be a little more than $15,000 when all is said and done (well.....plus the interest over 5 years).

Here is a calculator to figure out payments with different interest rates and whatnot. It even gives you an amortization schedule too, which is nice.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
The dealer told me they don't sell cars without a "Preferred Accessory Package" which for the "Yaris" is floormats and the cargo net.. They wanted to charge me $250 for it and I told them I don't buy cars with $250 floormats so they knocked my price down by $250 and let me keep the mats and net package.

2010 Yaris 3-door hatchback (4-speed automatic)
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Cargo Net
Carpeted "Yaris" floor mats
Rear bumper protector

MSRP: $15133

Cash Price: $14880
-$750 rebate
+1223.22 taxes

Down payment + $500 deposit: $7000
Credit Score: 721 (But I have a short credit history)
Interest Rate: 4% for 24 Months

Originally they offered me 4.89% for 24 months, but then I went down to a bank and found 4.75% (bank required I jump through hoops to get it, but I didn't mention that to the dealer ).. Showed it to the dealer and right away they shrugged and said that they could do 4%.

It was far better for me to go with the $750 rebate due to my large down payment instead of the 0% APR for 60 months. They wouldn't let me have both, they said it was non-negotiable. Oh well.

Last edited by Sidicas; 12-16-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
rytis

I've managed to get a lower price quote so far, for the following:

2010 Toyota Yaris 5 door Hatchback Automatic Blank Sand Pearl
Power Package
Cold Weather Package
Carpeted Floor Mats

$16,361 out the door, with 0% for 60 months

I checked with Toyota Financial Services, and got pre-approved for the financing.

Other dealers are saying they will beat any price I bring them by at least $100, so I'm expecting to get an even better price.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
rytis

We became proud owners of a cute shinny Yaris 3 days ago.

Here's the Yaris and what we paid:

2010 5 door Hatchback Automatic, Black Sand Pearl
Power Package
All-Weather Guard Package
Carpeted Floor Mats

$16,200 out the door, 0% for 60 months, $0 down.

Very happy
Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
2010 Yaris 5-speed 3-door liftback
Convenience package
All-weather-guard package
Window VIN etching

I didn't really bargain. My total was $14,083 out the door which includes everything: $750 cash back, DMV fees, 6% CT sales tax, $249 "conveyence fee", $174 for VIN etching, and anything else I've forgotten.

I have to say I'm not that happy with how the sale went. I won't bore you with the details, but if anyone wants to hear a story about a certain Connecticut dealer who will never see my Yaris for service, let me know.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
brrsyaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 5dr Red Auto
just bought one

2010 5dhb auto: email quote from city toyota in daly city, ca: 14,650.00
drove out the door for $16,479.98
ca/sfo has 9.25% sales tax
lic.&fees 361.75
got good treatment, a lot better than from snotty honda fit guys.
brrsyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtom View Post
2010 Yaris 5-speed 3-door liftback
Convenience package
All-weather-guard package
Window VIN etching

I didn't really bargain. My total was $14,083 out the door which includes everything: $750 cash back, DMV fees, 6% CT sales tax, $249 "conveyence fee", $174 for VIN etching, and anything else I've forgotten.

I have to say I'm not that happy with how the sale went. I won't bore you with the details, but if anyone wants to hear a story about a certain Connecticut dealer who will never see my Yaris for service, let me know.
Bore us. I would like to hear about what got you so upset with the dealership, if you don't mind sharing.

It's sad that you are off to such a bad start with them, because the dealer CAN be your friend. The relationship does not have to be adversarial, although it does seem to be that way all too often. What went wrong in this case?

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Glad I got mine in 08!

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
rytis

Reading these forums, and dealer reviews online, I was surprised how well I was treated, and how smooth my first car purchase went. I did however chose to do business with the dealer that had better customer feedback. Had to drive all the way out to him, but the great deal and service I got was worth the trip.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
rtom

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Bore us. I would like to hear about what got you so upset with the dealership, if you don't mind sharing.

It's sad that you are off to such a bad start with them, because the dealer CAN be your friend. The relationship does not have to be adversarial, although it does seem to be that way all too often. What went wrong in this case?

Tom
OK, here goes -- by popular demand.

I should preface this with a caveat: I'm very cheap and a bit finicky. It's actually a minor miracle that my girlfriend ever convinced me to buy a new car at all. Given this background, it was probably given that I wouldn't walk out of there glowing.

However, I'm pretty sure that the irregularities in my purchasing experience were not due solely to the dealership just being very busy. Tell me what you think.

I knew that I wanted a base trim 3-door liftback with a manual transmission and at most the convenience package (i.e., no power package). After scanning inventory at a bunch of Connecticut dealers, I knew that there weren't very many of these around. In fact, last week I could find just three in CT. One was quite far away, and a closer one was not selling for at least a few weeks (was something wrong with it?). So last week, with my girlfriend in town for the holidays (she lives ca 200 miles away), I e-mailed these three dealerships to ask them what their best price would be on the car I was interested in. I heard back quickly by phone from the closest of the three dealerships in question, the one with the car that hadn't sold for at least a few weeks. After I explained what I wanted, the sales associate said that she would e-mail me in five minutes with an out-the-door quote with the total broken out into all of its components. At this point she mentioned that the total would include a VIN etching fee that was, she said, "required by law". I knew that the VIN etching wasn't required by law, but I just said "fine, we'll look forward to your e-mail." So we waited around for about half an hour, but there was still no e-mail from her. Finally I called her back to see what was going on. The salesperson then gave me an oral quote that was just over $14K, and that still included the VIN etching fee. I told her I did not want the VIN etching, so she then revised the OTD quote to about $13,910. "OK", I said, "we'll see you later this afternoon". I needed to test-drive the car before buying it, partly because the only other Yaris I'd test-driven was an automatic. I did try to get info from the other two dealerships, but I wasn't able to get anything definitive about the cars of interest from a knowledgeable person.

After running some errands, we got to the dealership. My contact was busy with other customers, but she kindly gave me the keys to the car I wanted to buy so that I could check it out (and warm it up -- it was cold that day!). I wish I could be 100% sure, but to be honest I am only about 95% sure that at this point -- during the test drive -- there was no VIN etching on the windows. The test drive was fine, though the engagement point on the clutch is a little closer to the floor than I prefer (I should get this adjusted).

Back inside, and I said I wanted to buy it at the price we'd agreed upon by phone. No problems with insurance. With the finance fellow there was suddenly a problem. Apparently, he said, my salesperson had accidentally subtracted the VIN etching fee of about $174 TWICE in order to come up with the OTD price. At this point I pulled out my calculator and attempted to replicate the numbers he was rapidly scrawling. Now, I am good with numbers, but these guys are even better with wearing you down. At this point it occurred to me that I had no written/e-mailed proof of the OTD price from my salesperson -- was the e-mail missing on purpose? Anyway, I fairly rapidly just gave up, thinking that over the lifetime of the car that $174 might be as little as $10/year.

The final note is that when I did get around to getting into the car again with my salesperson to go fill up the tank, I noticed that the VIN etching was definitely there, and very obvious! Surely it had not been there during the test drive -- I would have noticed it.

So there it is. I don't feel like I got screwed by any means, but there were just a couple of little screw-ups, and a hint of dishonesty about a $174 item that I can't prove. But it's enough to make me desire to take the car elsewhere for service. There's another dealer that's closer to me, anyway. And the dealership I bought the car from has some pretty bad reviews online about their service department -- much worse than the other Connecticut dealerships I've looked at.
rtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
rytis

what a story rtom... yeah one dealer tried to force me to buy window etching for $198, but I said, "No thank you" and and walked away. And thankfully I found a much better dealer and deal. Everything turned out very nicely for us.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
Roving Yaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 2dr hb
What I paid

2010 2dr hb, manual
all-weather package
convenience package
floor mats
1.9% at 60 months
excellent credit (around 795)
$1000 student rebate
no trade-in

Not including the interest I will pay, $11,150.

Purchased last week; pick up is tomorrow! I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal!
Roving Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #18
rytis

Congrats on your Yaris Roving Yaris, sounds like a great deal!