Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
PeetYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris Hatch & '10 Sedan
Angry Rostra 250-1731 cruise control kit for Yaris

Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody out there has had any success with installing the aftermarket 250-1731 kit Rostra cruise control on 2010 model Sedan Yaris? This is the factory style wheel-mounted type.

http://www.rostra.com/products/custo...by-rostra.html

I have one '09 Hatch yaris which came with cruise installed - when my wife and I decided to buy another one (this time the 4-door sedan) we negotiated with the dealer to install cruise control as condition of sale on a base model sedan Yaris (we wanted the manual transmission)

The dealer used a local business that specialized in cruise control installations to perform the work but they could not install the factory style 1731 kit from Rostra, and instead had to install an ugly dash-mounted style instead, and also failed to install the clutch switch. (needed for a manual transmission)

Because I was not satisfied, I complained to the dealer, who put me in touch with the shop who did the work. The owner of the shop then put me in touch with Rostra controls - manufacturer of the cruise control, explaining that they could not get the 1731 kit to work with my car because the ECU did not provide a feed for it, and that the Rostra rep had told them not to bother installing the clutch switch because '98% of drivers switch cruise off before shifting gear'. (So what if you're suddenly downshifting for acceleration/engine braking?)

Anyhow, the long and short of all this is I'm pissed with Rostra. They have diabolical customer service, and I would strongly warn any other would-be cruise control installers out there to expect to be dissapointed if you have a 2010 base model Sedan Yaris and want aftermarket cruise control installed, because the factory style 1731 cruise control kit does not seem to be compatible, and Rostra thinks the problem is with MY CAR, not THEIR PRODUCT.

So be warned - Rostra = crap.

I'm curious to hear other opinions/experiences. I can't believe that my Yaris is the only one not to be compatible with the 1731 style cruise control...
Ultimately, the car does now have cruise, but I wanted the factory style installation!
PeetYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Rostra has two different models - One for AT and one for MT. I am not sure if the difference between the two kits is anything more than the inclusion of the clutch switch.

You would be better off installing the real OEM cruise control. The 2nd generation Yaris from 06 to today has had cruise control functionality built into the ECM, so installation of an aftermarket kit is really kind of silly.

For an 09 or newer Yaris, all that is needed is the Toyota cruise control stalk, the cruise control stalk wire, and the two mounting screws. For an MT car the cruise control clutch switch is also needed. My DIY thread below details the installation.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=diy+cruise
Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
My shop has installed the Rostra unit before with no problems but the factory unit is a much better way to go. On the Rostra unit we did we had to run a wire under the hood to the ECU.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
PeetYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris Hatch & '10 Sedan
CTScott - there are not two models of the 1731 kit, you supposedly just order it with the clutch switch kit for MT cars, and without for AT cars.

As for silly? I wasn't the one performing the install... I thought it would be within the dealer's capabilities. Not so...
The folks who should feel 'silly' are Rostra tech support, I've never spoken to anyone more condescending and useless than 'Thomas' at Rostra, and their customer service reps are unresponsive - a complete dead end.

Palmer812 - can you share any more about the wire install you did? Have any pics? Seems this may have been my problem, and apparently Rostra are unaware of this mod, as they did not suggest that to the shop that attempted my install.

I am going to refer the useless Rostra customer service reps to this thread and CTScotts DIY thread, since they need educating.
Thank you both for your responses.

Last edited by PeetYaris; 06-25-2011 at 02:41 AM.
PeetYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Interesting - The Rostra 1731 is actually the OEM cruise control stalk and the wiring as per my DIY. The older Rostra kits 1796 (AT) and 1797 (MT) were the kits with the aftermarket stalk that mounted on the left side of the steering wheel. Chances are that you car simply needs the cruise control clutch switch to be mounted and plugged in.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
Sorry but we didn't take any pictures. CTScott is right the Rostra is just like the factory unit so use his wiring diagram. His thread is what I used to locate the correct pin on the ECU when we installed the Rostra unit. BTW my dealer cost on the Rostra is 3x the price CT is selling the factory ones for.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote