Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I like the look of the Cruze hatch, the sedan not so much. With the Mazda 3 it's the opposite, I like the sedan version and don't like the hatch.
Interesting. Early on, I preferred the Mazda 3 hatch to the sedan but this later model, with its updated lines, alloy wheels and low pro tires is not bad. I think i still like the hatch better but I don't dislike the sedan as much after seeing/driving this model.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
the chevy cruze is also a good car to drive. I rented one in Oregon last week and it has a huge seating adjustment ability and the mysync was good, the milages was good and it felt decent to steer and brake.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #21
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
the chevy cruze is also a good car to drive. I rented one in Oregon last week and it has a huge seating adjustment ability and the mysync was good, the milages was good and it felt decent to steer and brake.
Funny you mention seating adjustment ability. This Mazda 3 is the first car I can remember not needing to put the seat all the way back. It feels too far when I do. Even in my wife's Accord I put the seat all the way back.

This thing is also pretty zippy. Push button Sport mode keeps it in lower gears longer and it giddy-ups.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Funny you mention seating adjustment ability. This Mazda 3 is the first car I can remember not needing to put the seat all the way back. It feels too far when I do. Even in my wife's Accord I put the seat all the way back.

bmws and porsches are the only cars ive leased/ owned that the seat actually goes too far back

i automatically put the seat all the way back in 99% of vehicles ive driven in my life
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #23
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
bmws and porsches are the only cars ive leased/ owned that the seat actually goes too far back

i automatically put the seat all the way back in 99% of vehicles ive driven in my life
Same here lol! The force of habit makes me want to do it in this Mazda but it's just too far.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #24
ern-diz

State Farm's adjuster's estimate was just over $1,200, which is ~$400 lower than the body shop estimated. In any case, the car is over 50% complete and the target return date is this Monday, 9/17 --unless a supplement for more hours needs to be put in. As long as it's repaired as best as possible, I don't really care how long it takes.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
State Farm's adjuster's estimate was just over $1,200, which is ~$400 lower than the body shop estimated. In any case, the car is over 50% complete and the target return date is this Monday, 9/17 --unless a supplement for more hours needs to be put in. As long as it's repaired as best as possible, I don't really care how long it takes.
getting it back will be a good time to detail the crap out of her

especially the interior

im talking about the car!

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #26
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
getting it back will be a good time to detail the crap out of her

especially the interior

im talking about the car!

On Wheelwell
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #27
ern-diz

Rec'd the check from State Farm late last week and am supposed to be picking the car up from the body shop today. Just waiting on the go-head.

Having had more experience with the Mazda 3 rental, I can say it's not a car I would buy for myself. There's a lot to like but for my size/shape, I don't find it to be very ergonomic. My wife, who is much shorter and smaller than me, also wasn't a fan. Zippy car that looks nice and has some nice features, but not something I'd be comfortable in.

I'll drop another update with some pics of the repaired damage once Vader is back in my possession.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 AM   #28
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Sorry this happened, but glad it's getting fixed. Looks exactly like my black Yaris, only yours has way cooler hubcaps.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Sorry this happened, but glad it's getting fixed. Looks exactly like my black Yaris, only yours has way cooler hubcaps.
Thank you!

On Wheelwell
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #30
ern-diz

Was supposed to get the car back yesterday but due to waiting on a window molding, protective decal and supplement approval, it's been pushed to tomorrow.

On a positive note, they are taking care of a few items that weren't part of the damage from this incident, so as long as the car doesn't have overspray or some other silliness, I should be getting it back in better shape that it was in prior to the incident.

Fingers crossed.

On Wheelwell
Old 09-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
ern-diz

Got one of the auto-update texts yesterday saying the car was all fixed up and that the body shop would be calling me to arrange pick-up, but a call never came. I assume I'll hear from my point of contact today...
Old 09-20-2018, 06:54 PM   #32
Runethecursed

Fingers crossed!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #33
ern-diz

Quote:
Fingers crossed!
Thanks, man. The car is finished, but I don't have it back lol. There was a supplement for a couple hundred bucks, so instead of issuing payment for it directly to the body shop, the insurance co voided the check they'd already sent me (for the initial estimate amount) and printed/mailed a whole new check for the new total amount. The body shop has a policy of not releasing a vehicle until payment is made, so I'm stuck waiting for the mailman to bring me that new check so I can sign it over to the body shop and get my car.

I'm considering just paying the body shop myself and depositing the check in my account when it arrives, but I don't feel like I should have to do that. The check was issued last Tuesday, so I'm hoping it arrives soon.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #34
Runethecursed

what a lengthy roundabout process. My insurance just pays the work shop directly and if theres a lack of service or whatever it's done outside of the customer basis so we get the vehicle sooner.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #35
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Ouch, sorry to hear that happened.

But why was a window molding needed? I would have imagined they cut out as little of the panel as possible, and definitely not reach the window.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #36
ern-diz

Quote:
what a lengthy roundabout process. My insurance just pays the work shop directly and if theres a lack of service or whatever it's done outside of the customer basis so we get the vehicle sooner.
Yeah, I originally instructed State Farm to send the check to the body shop, but they sent it to me and said that's what they typically do to make sure if a customer isn't happy with the body shop's work, they can hold payment. I imagine that even if the check had gone to the body shop, they would have voided it and sent another after the supplement was approved. Either way, yeah, it's just more waiting for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear that happened.

But why was a window molding needed? I would have imagined they cut out as little of the panel as possible, and definitely not reach the window.
I doubt they cut the panel at all. All the body shops I took it to for an estimate talked about body working it and needing to take out the rear window in order to paint that entire panel, including the part that runs along the roof over the door and the rocker under the door. Apparently they were afraid the paint wouldn't match well if they didn't paint the entire panel. With that came removal of the rear bumper, taillight, window, moldings and protective decal.