Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
'Better Shifting' is only your opinion. How much 'Better Shifting' are you going to get out of a Yaris?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
'Better Shifting' is only your opinion. How much 'Better Shifting' are you going to get out of a Yaris?
big difference . No clunking into reverse , no grinding when downshifting , and easier shifting when extremely cold . Don't knock it 'til you try it .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Hershey is right, i am using Redline as well.... great product. Oil does not care what transmission it ends up in, good oil is good oil.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
The toyota oil (from the factory) is good oil, but at 25K, It is starting to feel too thin in the summer. Time for fresh GL-4 NOT GL-5! Now that WP has their shiite together their semi-syn cross-spec;d GL4/5 at WM for about 7 bucks has received good reports from the subaru forums. Havent tried it. Any reports on the RP oil? Of course redline is great but Ive read many folks have BAD reports on the Mobil 1 stuff. PAO syn base stock ( like M1 uses) doesnt make a good lubricant.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #23
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
big difference . No clunking into reverse , no grinding when downshifting , and easier shifting when extremely cold . Don't knock it 'til you try it .
I did try it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #24
Hershey

Quote:
I did try it.
and what was your experience with MT-90 ? What are you using now and how's it working out for you ?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #25
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
I did try it.
everyone i know how has used it, loves it. track geeks all over the country use it to protect their transmissions. do you have another opinion about it?
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I also had positive experience with changing the oil to MT-90 GL-4. Gears are smooth in 10 Fahrenheit weather - no warm up needed. It takes a few thousand miles to notice it.

I also had a bad experience when I bought some synthetic valvoline GL-5 oil that the instant oil change place put in. It made it very sticky to shift gears, even in hot weather. So I bought MT-90 on my own, and took the GL-5 stuff out in less than 200 miles.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #27
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I also had positive experience with changing the oil to MT-90 GL-4. Gears are smooth in 10 Fahrenheit weather - no warm up needed. It takes a few thousand miles to notice it.

I also had a bad experience when I bought some synthetic valvoline GL-5 oil that the instant oil change place put in. It made it very sticky to shift gears, even in hot weather. So I bought MT-90 on my own, and took the GL-5 stuff out in less than 200 miles.
I've never heard anything but positives about the Redline stuff. And yes, a Yaris can shift quite nicely. I've got the full NST bushing and short shifter kits, and it feels great. I'm sure some Redline would compliment it quite nicely.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #28
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
I'm using Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90. My owner's manual recommended both GL4 and GL5. Since I AX and do track days the type I'm using made sense. I haven't had the shifting issues some have spoken about. The NST SSK I have was always a bit different then stock and so far no adverse changes.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #29
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
If anyone is interested, Canadian dealers charge CAD$82.95 for this.... Same price as for a coolant flush and change!

Small price to pay to protect the box!
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #30
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Just asking..........has ANYONE ever heard of a Yaris manual transmission failure?

I think that the box is hard to kill even with poor shifting skills. Poor shifting skills seems to damage the clutch on the Yaris- the box is practically indestructable.

What I believe we are talking about here is better "feel" to the shifter something 99% of Yaris owners couldn't care less about- but for the small group of owners who enjoy shifting (like me) I do believe profit in feel from a good GL4 synthetic.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #31
pokoki

Drives: 2007 Yaris type S
How easy it is to do yourself? I assume there is a drain plug and a fill hole, but where are they both located?
pokoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #32
pokoki

Drives: 2007 Yaris type S
I found my answer here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8912
pokoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #33
fidgell

I had the dealer replace the manual tranny fluid yesterday. Already I have noticed a better, smoother, gear change - especially in reverse! My Yaris has done 165000km and this is the first change.... They also replaced the coolant, didnt cost much more than DIY plus I didnt have to do it in the snow, or dispose of the waste stuff myself afterwards.

Im going to do the spark plugs myself at the weekend!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
Hershey

which gear oil ? AMSOIL , REDLINE , other ?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #35
fidgell

After calling a few places, who all stated that their systems recommended Toyota OE fluid, which surprised me, I went to Toyota and they agreed that their own stuff is the only one recommended by them... almost essential. I wouldve changed, but with every professional saying ths same thing and it already lasting 160k I guessed if it aint broke dont fix it and stayed with Toyota. Im not one for the aftermarket thing on a car like this and after all I trust Toyota with my choice of vehicle so I trust them with the box fluid.

I dont believe any claims of significant improvements with other fluids, and even if I still had a warranty Id stick with Toyota just for warranty protection. After all if its doing exactly what it should, why change it?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #36
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
hey, its true, for alot of jobs its jsut not worth saving a few bucks to do it yourself vs take it to the dealer. then atleast u know it was done properly.

just a side note, i do my own oil changes and for a few of my friends also, disposing of the oils and w.e else u wise is easy and free (in ontario atleast) the government put a tax on oils and such when u buy it (extra like 5 bucks or something) and this allows u to drop off oil containers at any mr lube, penzoil, jiffy lube, canadian tire (anywhere that sells oil or changes oil) must by law take the oil from you to dispose of it properly free of charge.