Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Question Check engine light flashes during high reving

Has this happened to anyone else? when I stay near redline, over 6000 rpm, for more than a few seconds my check engine ligh starts to flash. today it started to flash and I didnt see it since someone was on my butt and I was trying to stay ahead, and then it just stayed on solid... I shut off the car and started it but it stayed on. its VERY weird too because I have a scanguage II and it logs codes, but it said there wasnt one... I kept trying to read a code but it said no codes found.. but the check engine light was on. HOW could the light be on but no code?? I ended up pulling the battery terminals off and waiting 10 minutes and then the light went off... very weird! if it had thrown a code I should have been able to read it. the light hasnt come back on.

anyone else see the flashing check engine light? it happened to me the first time when the car was bone stock, just flashed when I was racing my brother and stayed at 6k for 3 seconds. now I have 1/2 of my airbox removed, but I dont see how that would affect it since it did it even before I removed the box.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
How and why were your rpms over 6,000? That's just asking for trouble. If someone's on your rear, let them pass, pull over, and just slow down. Just my opinion.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
a flashing check engine light usually indicates a dangerous misfire is occuring. sometimes depends on how many cylinders are misfireing etc. if it stays on afterwards then there is definitly a problem. bring it to the dealership next time it comes on (dont delete it). just dont tell them you were reving the shit outta it . it also could be a cat restriction or a/f sensor reading incorrectly and putting too much air in the engine at high rpm. etc etc etc. just remember the ecu records rpm at the time the DTC is set. isnt there a TSB for our cats having an egg smell? if so maybe your cats defective, rsx's have the same TSB . if your cat is "too" hot it can cause problems at hi rpm esp.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html

Last edited by drifto; 06-01-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
Has this happened to anyone else? when I stay near redline, over 6000 rpm, for more than a few seconds my check engine ligh starts to flash. today it started to flash and I didnt see it since someone was on my butt and I was trying to stay ahead, and then it just stayed on solid... I shut off the car and started it but it stayed on. its VERY weird too because I have a scanguage II and it logs codes, but it said there wasnt one... I kept trying to read a code but it said no codes found.. but the check engine light was on. HOW could the light be on but no code?? I ended up pulling the battery terminals off and waiting 10 minutes and then the light went off... very weird! if it had thrown a code I should have been able to read it. the light hasnt come back on.

anyone else see the flashing check engine light? it happened to me the first time when the car was bone stock, just flashed when I was racing my brother and stayed at 6k for 3 seconds. now I have 1/2 of my airbox removed, but I dont see how that would affect it since it did it even before I removed the box.
no, it didn't and it won't happen to me-----the highest rpm i revved my yaris up to was 3200 and i'm not planning on going anywhere over that figure......if you need a performance car, why not get yourself A FERRARI...............
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
AlphaFox

omg.. I gues I posted this in the wrong forum. I do occasionally playfully race people on the highway; nothing like drag racing or anything. jeez
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
no, it didn't and it won't happen to me-----the highest rpm i revved my yaris up to was 3200 and i'm not planning on going anywhere over that figure......if you need a performance car, why not get yourself A FERRARI...............
lol you can rev it high, but you have to just be careful and understand the limits of the car. i say if you cant enjoy your car, then why have one? everyone has their own way of enjoying their car. some hook it up with a crazy system others for autocross, some just like to save gas and cruise in style. in the end its whatever floats your boat im actually curious to see what code comes up (if possible) next time it happens...

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
AlphaFox

thats the thing, it didnt throw a code. unless I take it to toyota or something, im not sure what it means. probably just letting them know I beat on the car or something! I didnt have it up there that long.... I mean your supposed to keep the RPMs high when your racing, since over 3K is where all the power is. I take it to 6.6K and shift when im racing, that is the rev limiter, I mean if you shouldnt take it that high then why did they make the limiter 6.6K??
Old 06-02-2007, 03:43 AM   #8
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFox View Post
thats the thing, it didnt throw a code. unless I take it to toyota or something, im not sure what it means. probably just letting them know I beat on the car or something! I didnt have it up there that long.... I mean your supposed to keep the RPMs high when your racing, since over 3K is where all the power is. I take it to 6.6K and shift when im racing, that is the rev limiter, I mean if you shouldnt take it that high then why did they make the limiter 6.6K??
exactly, thats why ithink maybe the cat is prematurely worn or restricted. if possible try to duplicate the code again.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 06-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
AlphaFox

If it does it again, I will have it checked.. hope it doesnt though.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
barryware

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
A friend of mine has a Mustang. When he gets near the rev limiter, the engine light flashes. If you are too close for too long, at will stay on and if you hit the rev limiter, engine light stays on.

His Dad has got some type of diagnostic head made by snapon. It didn't show the code (rev limiter) even with the engine light still on. When he took it in, he was warned about abusing the engine and further abuse, may void the warranty. It seems that those type of codes that may report abuse are secret and you must have the right diagnostic head to read them.

I can not confirm or deny.. This is just what I was told.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
You should chek that out cause I really rev mine hard everyday and no check engine light comes on.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryware View Post
A friend of mine has a Mustang. When he gets near the rev limiter, the engine light flashes. If you are too close for too long, at will stay on and if you hit the rev limiter, engine light stays on.

His Dad has got some type of diagnostic head made by snapon. It didn't show the code (rev limiter) even with the engine light still on. When he took it in, he was warned about abusing the engine and further abuse, may void the warranty. It seems that those type of codes that may report abuse are secret and you must have the right diagnostic head to read them.

I can not confirm or deny.. This is just what I was told.
yes it could store it as a temp code. where it wont sometimes read on a generic scan tool. but on a manufacturer specific scan tool the code will be listed in a seperate "history" or "temporary"section. and it may store the freeze frame data as well, which will inform the tech what the car was doing at the time... rpm, coolant temp, wheel speed, fuel trim, ect... for example, my mac tools generic scan tool doesnt always show me the same number of the codes that my honda scan tool will. esp codes saved in the temp folder. basically when the ecu decides that the car is back to normal conditions it can turn off the light after i believe 35 to 80 drive cycles depending if its a misfire code or not. however even though the light is off it may keep the code in the temp file for a longer time which can be accessed by the manuf. scan tool. hope this makes sense...

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
mandriu
11b1p

Drives: yaris s
I noticed in the owners manual that the car has an EDR system. That system would record information before an "event".
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

Doctor: Then stop doing it...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisPR View Post
You should chek that out cause I really rev mine hard everyday and no check engine light comes on.
you must be doing it on neutral and it makes it a different story
unless you ship your car somewhere outta Puerto Rico to race it on an open road.........
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
you must be doing it on neutral and it makes it a different story
unless you ship your car somewhere outta Puerto Rico to race it on an open road.........
U sure haven't visit Puerto Rico jajaja you don't need an open road to rev hard. Here its all about small roads, curves and mountains and I asure you you can rev your car up to 6,500 on 1st 2nd and 3rd goin around places here
Old 06-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
How and why were your rpms over 6,000? That's just asking for trouble. If someone's on your rear, let them pass, pull over, and just slow down. Just my opinion.
Not true....you can keep your Yaris at 6,000 RPGM all day long...the engine is nearly bullet proof, and it will take a beating plus more....that engine will not blow up at high RPM...it will last 300,000 miles of abusive use so long as it is maintained properly....no need to baby your Yaris...drive the hell out of it, if you must....it will not hurt it.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
drifto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Not true....you can keep your Yaris at 6,000 RPGM all day long...the engine is nearly bullet proof, and it will take a beating plus more....that engine will not blow up at high RPM...it will last 300,000 miles of abusive use so long as it is maintained properly....no need to baby your Yaris...drive the hell out of it, if you must....it will not hurt it.
lol just dont panic shift while racing and downshift from 4th to 1st at 6k... ive seen it done many times besides that i say go crazy

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Closed Thread