Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #55
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech1
I would never use a higher octane on a older car... Again, you're just wasting your money... Either get a tune-up (which should target or solve the problem) or get a newer model year car. Engine's wear... Timing changes, rings wear, aluminum parts break down so on and so forth. That knocking is most likely a result of a car that's gone bad after years.
For now, I will not rule out using higer octane fuel in old cars as a short term measure. Maintenance is the ultimate solution if a new purchase is out of the question for one reason or another. Let's hear more comments from our knowledgeable fellow members. I am sure there are very well qualified people among us.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #56
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
Use what is recommanded in your user manual...

http://autorepair.about.com/od/engin...hoctanegas.htm
I refer to my previous post and the link recommended by Gabl above(Thanks Gabl!).
I am not here to convince anyone to use higher octane fuel on old and not so well maintained cars(NB: more old than new cars are not too well maintained because of lack of warranty and regular attention or willingness of the owners to invest further money in them; lots of exceptions exist though). I do not think I ever can.
Yet, I wish to point out that I have based my comments on the paragraph under "Should You Ever Switch to A Higher Octane Gasoline?" of the linked article. Obviously, the writer thinks it is o.k. to try using higher octane fuel first when knocking is detected on a car (on which the user's manual recommended grade of fuel is already in use). If the problem persists, then he reommends to have the car repaired or tuned up, which is utterly logical.

Last edited by swng; 03-05-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #57
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo
Acetone only destroys rubber, hoses and perhpas plastics, can it harm the engine or other parts itself?
I was thinking it could do that too, but I wasn't sure. It sounds like some alcohol. Is that what it is?

As for the engine, I don't think so...
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #58
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
For now, I will not rule out using higer octane fuel in old cars as a short term measure. Maintenance is the ultimate solution if a new purchase is out of the question for one reason or another. Let's hear more comments from our knowledgeable fellow members. I am sure there are very well qualified people among us.
Don't get me wrong. I agree that using higher octane on a older car would work. I understand what you're getting at. But I just wouldn't do it. I'd rather get a newer car.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #59
swng

Point understood friend!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #60
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech1
I was thinking it could do that too, but I wasn't sure. It sounds like some alcohol. Is that what it is?

As for the engine, I don't think so...
No. Acetone is what they use for paint thinner, nail polish remover, etc.

What is supposedly does in the engine is make the water is the gasoline come apart easier, making the engine able to burn the fuel more completely.

Alcohol, which is water based, would do the exact opposite.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #61
AutoTech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
No. Acetone is what they use for paint thinner, nail polish remover, etc.

What is supposedly does in the engine is make the water is the gasoline come apart easier, making the engine able to burn the fuel more completely.

Alcohol, which is water based, would do the exact opposite.
Thanks.

I don't think I'd use it though... Rubber seals and stuff... Ahhhh... Doens't sound pretty.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #62
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

If it actually does anything to them. The person who wrote the website stated that he has soaked hoses and other parts in up to a 20% acetone/ 80% gasoline solution for months, and has seen no adverse affect except in the highest concentration he used to test that theory. Considering 3 ounces to 10 gallons is a .002 % concentration.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #63
AutoTech1

Quote:
If it actually does anything to them. The person who wrote the website stated that he has soaked hoses and other parts in up to a 20% acetone/ 80% gasoline solution for months, and has seen no adverse affect except in the highest concentration he used to test that theory. Considering 3 ounces to 10 gallons is a .002 % concentration.
Yeah true... You do make a good point.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #64
DollaZo

Drives: Toyota Yaris YRS
sup all

just letting you all know that when I first got my Yaris 1.5L i thought that if I had put expensive fuel in the car that it would benefit my car. 91 octane being cheaper than 98 which is what I put for about 3 months. After a while I started to notice that the car was being harder to drive in terms of playing with the accelerator and the clutch. After speaking to a family friend he recomended me to start using 91 octane. Instantly I noticed that the car was easier to drive, it felt as if the car was happier to drink 91 than 98. So in my opinion I would not recomend using 98 octane as the car was made to run with 91.
DollaZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:19 PM   #65
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaZo
sup all

just letting you all know that when I first got my Yaris 1.5L i thought that if I had put expensive fuel in the car that it would benefit my car. 91 octane being cheaper than 98 which is what I put for about 3 months. After a while I started to notice that the car was being harder to drive in terms of playing with the accelerator and the clutch. After speaking to a family friend he recomended me to start using 91 octane. Instantly I noticed that the car was easier to drive, it felt as if the car was happier to drink 91 than 98. So in my opinion I would not recomend using 98 octane as the car was made to run with 91.
Yeah. that makes no sense.

Octane is a rating of how resistant the car is to detonation.
running higher octane will have no effect on the car.
The stock ECU will not continue to advance timing blindly if you put in higher octane fuel.

If it is tuned for a 91 octane, you should use no less than 91. However, any more than 91 octane will not make any difference unless you have some serious engine mods and have pushed tuning to a different threshold for knock.

It's funny to see what people say about Octane.
I always hear people talking about how their car runs better on higher octane, or how some people occasionally fill up on higher octane to clean the fuel system or whatever. I laugh silently becuase it takes too long to explain to them that they are clueless.

It's also like when people put on an intake and they say "I can definatley feel a difference. the car is much more powerful"
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #66
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
It is amazing that people still believe running a higher octane does something tremendous for their engines. It does nothing. You might as well spend the extra $$$ on lottery tickets.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #67
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
It is amazing that people still believe running a higher octane does something tremendous for their engines. It does nothing. You might as well spend the extra $$$ on lottery tickets.

Kevin
Thank god someone else on this forum makes sense.
Maybe someday people will learn.
I'm liking the lottery tickets idea.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #68
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Actually, that is not true.

1. Gas companies put their best additives only in the highest octane gas, so it can have a cleaning out type of effect.

2. Car companies do all their testing on a car using the highest octane available, especially the gas mileage test. Their must be a reason.

3. It has been noted that higher octane fuel will give better mpg results, however, at this moment the cost of the higher priced fuel outweighs the mpg gains of the better fuel.

4. Running octane lower than recommended will usually destroy a vehicle pretty quickly. Gee, I wonder why.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:58 PM   #69
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Actually, that is not true.

1. Gas companies put their best additives only in the highest octane gas, so it can have a cleaning out type of effect.

2. Car companies do all their testing on a car using the highest octane available, especially the gas mileage test. Their must be a reason.

3. It has been noted that higher octane fuel will give better mpg results, however, at this moment the cost of the higher priced fuel outweighs the mpg gains of the better fuel.

4. Running octane lower than recommended will usually destroy a vehicle pretty quickly. Gee, I wonder why.
You've been listening to too many people who have been perpetuating rumors.

1. Which additives do they put in? What do they do? I think it sounds like you are reaching on your comment. What is the "best additive"?

2. Car companies may test cars with high octane gas, but only to create a tune that is safe. Once it is safe, they run it at the recommended octane. This is standard. It would be dumb to run it the other way around.

3. It has been noted by stupid people that higher octane gives better mileage. What is the reasoning behind this?

4. Running lower octane gas than recommended can definately do damage to a vehicle. It's because the vehicle is experiencing detonation or pre-ignition due to the octane being too low for the tune.

When you say "pretty quickly" it tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about. Detonation and pre-ignition, when bad enough destroys a motor instantly. A car's knock sensors and knock retard system can accomodate some of this. It will likely throw a check engine light. There is no sort of "damage over time" concept.

Running lower than recommended fuel for 2 months is the same as running it for 2 days. It doesn't do any sort of "gradual" damage. If it is bad enough, it will do instantaneous damage. Otherwise, the knock system is compensating and retarding timing enough that it wont.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #70
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Can we clarify a few issues:

- Higher Octane Gas is more resitant to DETONATION
True or False?

- Higher Octane Gas burns more easily than lower octanes
True or False?

I was led to believe that higher octane gas will NOT provide better mileage because the fuel is burning at a higher rate than lower octane, thus using more gas throughout the process.

I'm still confused as to which octane to use, because. the manual states it accepts 87 octane (Research Octane 91).

I've been using 89 Octane from Chevron in Canada.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #71
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2
Can we clarify a few issues:

- Higher Octane Gas is more resitant to DETONATION
True or False?

- Higher Octane Gas burns more easily than lower octanes
True or False?

I was led to believe that higher octane gas will NOT provide better mileage because the fuel is burning at a higher rate than lower octane, thus using more gas throughout the process.

I'm still confused as to which octane to use, because. the manual states it accepts 87 octane (Research Octane 91).

I've been using 89 Octane from Chevron in Canada.
Octane is a rating that determines the resistance to detonation.

Higher octane is more resistant to detonation.

It has nothing to do with burn rate...nor mileage. The same amount of fuel goes in.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #72
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
So the burn rate, if you will, is the same across all octanes?

Then why... are there arguments that higher octane or lower octane provide better/worse mileage...