Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
NotSaintPatrick

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris T Sport 3dr
Question Spoiler from AliExpress?

Hi!

I'm sort of new to this forum, and I just bought my first Yaris this very summer. It's a 2007 1.8 TS, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. As I have been snooping on your cars for the last weeks I've seen more and more people putting spoilers on their cars, where alot of them seem to come from Ebay. I asked my local Toyota dealer, and they said that the OEM rally spoiler is discontinued so I've been scouting the internet for the last few days.

To get to the point, I found this spoiler on AliExpress, and it looks like the one everyone else has got. But is it? I'm still sort of clueless when it comes to this, and I figured I'd ask if anyone can tell me if this will fit my car. And potentially how much work it is to mount.

Thanks in advance for answers

Also, I guess I better get to uploading some photos of the new baby here soon, haha

Here's the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32...25bc3c00of69Tx
NotSaintPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Link for spoiler?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
NotSaintPatrick

Oh crap, I forgot the most important thing of all

There, link is in place in the original post. Sorry about that lol
Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
NotSaintPatrick

No one?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sorry, I would have chimed in but I don't have any experience with spoilers on these cars. Have you searched the forum for that particular vendor, brand, model number, etc.?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Well, based on the pics in the listing, the spoiler is perfect for you. I'd be concerned about how much prep would be involved in getting it to a paintable state since it is incredibly inexpensive.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
It looks identical to the eBay one I installed. As WeeYari mentions, be prepared to do a lot of prep work. I did a minimal amount and it looks just ok. However, if you're looking for perfection, there will be a lot of filling, sanding etc. Either the moulds these things come out of are poor or the application of material is substandard. If you want some close-up shots of mine, I would take a few pics for you. Let me know if you want them.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-OEM-RE...#shpCntId#shId

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-OEM-20...RXQ~ls&vxp=mtr
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
NotSaintPatrick

Thanks for the replies, guys

I ended up being impatient and ordering it for the price it was at. I'm prepared to do some prep if that's needed, so if it's in rough shape that won't really be a problem

Having that said, my "new" Yaris is at this point 11 years old, and it's got a couple of nicks and scratches from previous owners, so perfection is in no way necessary

The part I'm concerned about is how much/how scary the installation process is. I've seen some people on here use nothing but tape to keep theirs on, but I don't know if I would trust that too much
Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
NotSaintPatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
It looks identical to the eBay one I installed. As WeeYari mentions, be prepared to do a lot of prep work. I did a minimal amount and it looks just ok. However, if you're looking for perfection, there will be a lot of filling, sanding etc. Either the moulds these things come out of are poor or the application of material is substandard. If you want some close-up shots of mine, I would take a few pics for you. Let me know if you want them.
I would love some pics to see what I'm working with if it's not too much bother
Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
OE Toyota trd wing required drilling into the hatch. so... there's that, these might not have the mounts and just need glue or tape
Old 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSaintPatrick View Post
I would love some pics to see what I'm working with if it's not too much bother
No Problem. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. It's dark out now.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSaintPatrick View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys

I ended up being impatient and ordering it for the price it was at. I'm prepared to do some prep if that's needed, so if it's in rough shape that won't really be a problem

Having that said, my "new" Yaris is at this point 11 years old, and it's got a couple of nicks and scratches from previous owners, so perfection is in no way necessary

The part I'm concerned about is how much/how scary the installation process is. I've seen some people on here use nothing but tape to keep theirs on, but I don't know if I would trust that too much
Installation isn't too bad. It would likely hang on well enough with just 3M tape as it's very light. However, I drilled down into the top of my hatch and screwed it after it was stuck on with the tape. I used sheet metal screws. Before installing the screws I soaked the drill holes with oil-based rust proofing and finally installed the caps/plugs. I also sprayed inside my hatch up toward the top, but I do this a few times a year anyway. The hardest part of the installation is eyeballing the spoiler with the hatch top it to line it up. You don't get a lot of chances as the tape is really sticky. It will require some pressure for the final bond, so just go really lightly on it when initially positioning it. You might want to use dry erase markers or similar and mark it for line up on your test fit before peeling your 3M tape. If I recall, I positioned the top edge, tilting the spoiler forward, then lowered it slowly, then pushed it in hard to attach to the back lip of the lifegate. It's hard to explain, but the way I did mine, I was trying to mount it with tape on two surfaces at 90 degrees to each other which presented a bit of a challenge for making contact on both surfaces.

One last tip (which I didn't do)...only remove the red tape protective covering after you've positioned the spoiler. Pull it out from underneath the spoiler.

Check out 1:50 in this video to see what I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDksviUVhM

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-07-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #14
NotSaintPatrick

That's really helpful, thank you so much

You guys are the best
Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
06YarisRS

Pics...

First, a pic of the side view...

Closeups. Some of the ugliness is due to the fact that I didn't sand my primer enough before painting. But, some of it is because of flaws in the spoiler itself. Fortunately, the rest of the car turned out better than the spoiler - still not completely happy with it. I did a pretty hack job, but I'm planning to paint the whole car again next summer and I'll spend more time on the prep work.

I think I paid about the same as you. For the money these are great, but they do need a fair bit of prep if you're after a finished look. There are ripples in the fiberglass, misformed edges and dings cast right in to it. You could just sand, prime and paint and likely no one would even know from 10 feet away. I think these were offered in a primed state for a bit more money and maybe they are more finished out of the box. but I doubt it.

Here it is when it arrived...

When I first painted it with spray cans, before deciding to paint the whole car with 2-stage urethane.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-08-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
NotSaintPatrick

Splendid! Thanks for the closeups and tips

I might consider having it painted professionally to get the best result, considering how cheap the spoiler itself was. I got a shop nearby that gave gave me an okay price for a complete paint job.

We'll see when it arrives I guess
Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
06YarisRS

Happy to help. A complete paint job on the car? I decided to paint my car myself because I was looking at around $3500 - $4000 for a full repaint and that was with very minimal body work (small dings and a few scratches etc). I could easily see $5000 - $6000 or more for a full repaint in which they do a lot of prep work such as refinishing the spoiler for, minimally, a 'factory quality' paint job. etc. What were you quoted if you don't mind saying and what all did they offer to do?

However you go about it, I think you'll be really happy with the final effect.

BTW, I'm totally jealous that you have a 1.8. I sooooo want a 1.8 in my '06.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-08-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
NotSaintPatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Happy to help. A complete paint job on the car? I decided to paint my car myself because I was looking at around $3500 - $4000 for a full repaint and that was with very minimal body work (small dings and a few scratches etc). I could easily see $5000 - $6000 or more for a full repaint in which they do a lot of prep work such as refinishing the spoiler for, minimally, a 'factory quality' paint job. etc. What were you quoted if you don't mind saying and what all did they offer to do?

However you go about it, I think you'll be really happy with the final effect.

BTW, I'm totally jealous that you have a 1.8. I sooooo want a 1.8 in my '06.
Yeah, I might have worded that poorly. What I meant was a "complete paint job" on the spoiler itself

Anyways, I was quoted what converts to about 240 USD for them to prime, paint and clear coat the spoiler for me. For this country, that's pretty cheap, but as I hear Norway is expensive compared to overseas, so I can imagine that's expensive for a small spoiler

But yeah, the 1.8 TS was a real catch, they seem to be quite rare I'm super happy with it, and it's got a suprising amount of torque in the low end for such a small engine

Tags
aliexpress, custom, new owner, spoiler