Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #29
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Awesome stuff dude. Can you take pics and write about your battery box install and relocation? I plan to do this down the road and wouldn't mind seeing how your install went
Can Do.

Have done, read on!

This is what happens when you get antsy, instead of this happening later this week. I got up at 7 on a Sunday and started hammering and grinding it out. In fact, it took me till almost 6 to get it all in after an hour break for lunch. That said there's a lot more fab work involved cause I cant measure batteries before buying relocating kits.

So this is the kit I bought and ended up using most of it.. eventually.

so right away there was an issue

now you can tell her... yeah, it's that big

The hell was I gonna do? I had contemplated sending the kit back and whatnot, but the length of the positive was decent and everything was already in hand and I really like the covered boxes vs just a battery brace thats exposed.

Gathering a semi Idea.

So for those of you who are reading this and wondering why move the battery to the rear. in short: Moving weight even as small as 15 lbs to particular locations on the chassis will change the balance of the car, how much weight on each suspension component. By removing 15 lbs over the front wheels (namely on the driver side, where my fat ass sits) to the passenger side rear strut. In effect, it would mathematically change the balance by 1% which doesn't seem like much, but it would be the equivalent of moving the entire engine back 3 inches.

Now I could have bought the lightweight Braille AGM battery, and I wanted it... oh I wants it so bad. But I cannot afford one, (i could but its not really pertinent) and I'd rather not turn a 200 dollar project into a 500 dollar project.

Anyways

To tmontague: I chose this spot for three reasons. Class rules/Safety says box has to be outside of the passenger area
It is behind the fuel tank over the exhaust which gives me the most access to it underneath, and This location and hight allows me to still run the yaris style shelf in the back if needed But more importantly and this is a big one I can retain the rear spare tire

So without further. time to cut, measure, rivet and repeat

yes... thats backwards. I'm a terrible engineer.

or not. I figure if I cut the panel out to about 9 inches and move the one side closer and rivet it in place Ill have basically the same thing. I dont want to weld this thin of alum, and no way was I using an epoxy.. they never set right for me

Now mind you, all batteries are different, and this measurement was still off by about 1/8th of an inch so where the battery is wedged in the box. So if you are doing this. give yourself an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch of extra room.

That Rivet job though...

With the base in mind I drilled the bottom holes to get the distance I wanted for the battery box. from here...

We go to the car.

This is where I decided it would be best. Its resting against the rear strut and forward enough to give me tire clearance and its a straight shot down through the metal and it's thicker here than near the tire well. unfortunately its about 2 inchs off the frame rail in the back but that's all under the plastic on the car, which I cannot trim.. for the most part ;)

Yes the mounts are off centered. I did that for a reason. I shimmed the box up on the left side so naturally itll sit with an angle towards the strut. and also... I didnt want to drill in an un even patch of metal

The kit calls for a 3/8th inch hole for the rods so, that was easy

now for the harder-er parts

Notice the reliefs in the side plate for running the positive and negative wires...

Well They dont match up with the battery anyways. so Ignore them

It actually looks decent but the fitment is kinda... mediocre at best if you look too closely

From here I goofed and primered the box before making the final two holes for the rods...

getting antsy, (major fault of mine)

All mocked up

Took a cut off wheel to the excess rod length. There's still about 2 inches top and bottom combined of extra length. Also make sure you follow the threads with a tap or clean up the threads with more grinding ( i rounded the top of them to make bolting them on easier) This is important because of you misthread the bolt you have a chance for rounding it

Sitting pretty

While it was like this We took the time to run the Positive wire.
Now here is where I didnt take too many photos but basically

We ran the cable under the carpet into the trim panel by the passenger door. then up the footwell into the passenger side fender over the top of the passenger side front strut. From there it follows the other electrical stuff (over the ecu) to the positive terminal on the stock location, here we mated it all together with the factory bolt we removed from the OEM connector and I cut the oem plastic cover to fit and zip tied it to the post that held the battery previously.

The Negative we used the rear seat mounting point and slid the rear seat back so it covered it. nice and neat

Painted it the duralast bed liner for the speckled black look. if you do this. dont touch it for at least 3 hours... it says dry time is sooner but its a lie... it peels like plastidip unless fully cured.

This side shows you the reliefs I had to make. From this photo I took it off and made the gaps bigger. Make sure to use the supplied grommets

Also breather..

And how it all sits from the back view

Now if you take two shots of vodka squint your eyes and look sideways it actually looks like a decent job. we could have cut down the positive cable some more, but I just tucked the excess in the rear passenger area since who cares about it.

Bam, I can take more photos of the engine bay if that intersts anyone but for now I have to make my car learn how to idle again, a few hot minutes of running and itll be back to fine and crackling and popping like the performance motor I want it to be!

I have no bonus footage today as It's been super slow and Ive basically installed everything I have for the car right now...

Till next time

TAKE! CARE!
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote