Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I'll be happy to let you know how this little experiment goes. Many 4 cylinder stock exhaust manifolds employ the tri-y design for more bottom end so it's a tried and true principle. Here's a longer header that illustrates the principle more clearly...

...and a brief explanation:

"Tri-Y's consist of a four-into-two-into-one design, with four primary pipes paired into two slightly larger secondary pipes before reaching a single collector. One advantage of this design is that the increasing pipe diameter broadens the torque curve, providing higher torque throughout the low- and mid-rpm range than a similar four-into-one style header. Headers work especially well for RV's and trucks in which lots of low-rpm torque is important.

The principle behind tri-Y design is that the most effective port separation occurs by pairing the cylinders that are firing farthest apart, in other words 180 distributor degrees (or a complete crankshaft revolution) apart."

I understand that just installing a header won't make a huge difference, I've always been interested in exhaust designs so it's fun to tinker around with them. And as far as I know, Weapon R is the only manufacturer who makes a tri y for Yaris'.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
tooter
play every day

Oh oh... looks like I'm already in trouble.

The 2012 header doesn't look anything like the earlier models...

Man, I sure hope the header is at least pointing in the right direction.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
hellstang947

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I hope you can fit it in there. I eagerly await your review
hellstang947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #22
tooter
play every day

I'm really counting on the head pipe being the same as all the others...

...because it would mean that even though the 2012 header is of a totally different construction, the relationship of the engine exhaust ports to the head pipe remain the same as the prior years. From what I can tell so far, it's going to be a really tight fit, and jolly good fun trying to get all the bolts back in!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
ldinkinsjr

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris sedan
TOOTER, still waiting on FE or MPG results on the header.
ldinkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote