Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
How to remove paint from car finish?

Hello, Everyone. This is my first post at Yarisworld. My name is Tom, and I live in western KY.

I'm not a Yaris owner, but my son is. My username might have tipped you off, huh?

I helped my son negotiate a deal on a brand new 2009 Yaris sedan in Barcelona Red Metallic this past Monday, March 16th. He got the base sedan with the power option and remote keyless entry. I don't remember what came with the power option, but the car has cruise control and a rear window defroster as well as the power windows, power locks, and power mirrors. It has the four speed automatic tranny.

I really, really, really like the Yaris, and if I were in the market right now, I think I would end up owning one. I bought a new 2008 Chevy Cobalt last June, and I am well pleased with it, but I think I would actually prefer the Yaris, now that I have "discovered" them.

Anyway, my son had the car only four days before side-swiping a mailbox with it. He barely grazed the maibox, and it appears that none of his paint was removed, but some mailbox paint got on his car.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best way to get that paint off of my son's car without harming the clear coat?

Thanks.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is no clear coat. Cheap car, cheap paint. Bust out a buffer or a clay bar... that should do it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
There is no clear coat. Cheap car, cheap paint. Bust out a buffer or a clay bar... that should do it.
No clear coat? Really?

I thought ALL cars had clear coat for the last umpteen years?

Tom
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That is the word on the street. I'm not 100% sure though. Someone else on the forum will hop on and confirm/deny.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
A really really easy trick to remove it. Is buy a can of brake cleaner from your local parts house like kragens. Spray some directly on the paint and whipe it really fast off with a microfiber cloth. Get ready to wash the car immediately after you are done. And reapplying new wax. Belive me this will take probally 5 seconds of your time. Instead of tryign to buff it for 10 minutes with rubbing compound.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
A really really easy trick to remove it. Is buy a can of brake cleaner from your local parts house like kragens. Spray some directly on the paint and whipe it really fast off with a microfiber cloth. Get ready to wash the car immediately after you are done. And reapplying new wax. Belive me this will take probally 5 seconds of your time. Instead of tryign to buff it for 10 minutes with rubbing compound.
agreed^^^^^^ but you could spray it on a rag and use the same techniques....helps avoid splatter. just DON'T rub EXTREMELY hard...just until the crud comes off
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Well my car was has the front bumper and hood repainted and i do believe it has a clearcoat, since the first time they painted it there was some spots underneat "clearcoat"

But upon inspection of some parts where theres some rock chips i cant really tell if the factory paint has it.
Clay bar should take care of it, if you gonna clay the car my recommendation would be to make a large bottle of solution , car shampoo with water , and clay the whole car and wax it all , also you could do the windows. look up how to clay bar the car in youtube, fairly easy to do takes some time to do it right and not scratch the car. Also works to take out any tar that may have gotten to the paint.
A little time now Claying and waxing helps for a better shine :D

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I decided to call the body shop that has been so kind to me over the years and has done such good work on both my daughter's and my son's cars after their fender benders when they were teenagers. The manager told me to bring the car to him tomorrow, and he will give me a loaner car to drive to work. He said that, based on what I told him over the phone, it would not be a big deal to get the paint off.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Man, I have REALLY been thinking about those darn Yarises (Yari?). I wish I had known about them when I was car shopping early last summer. My son got over 33 MPG on his first tank of gas, and a lot of the miles were in town. The BEST my Cobalt has ever done was on pure highway driving on a trip to Illinois when it got 33.7 MPG.

I'm afraid that when I drive my son's Yaris to the body shop tomorrow here in the town where I work, a drive of about 22 miles, I will be hooked and will have to start thinking about trading, even though the gas mileage would in no wise be economic justification for trading again so soon. (I've never needed much justification, though, come to think of it.)

Tom
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
yup. maybbbbbbeeee a microscopic clear coat to give it that shiny look.... but a rock will surley take it right off!

btw... wait til he starts getting forty-something miles....

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
When i had my grill painted they put a good clear coat on it. So now its shinier than the rest of my car. You can actually really tell the difference if you look at the bumper next to it.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #11
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Hopefully, there will be no need for painting or clear coating on my son's car. The body shop manager didn't think there would be any trouble getting that foreign paint off of the finish from the way I described the situation.

I'm looking forward to driving that little car this morning.

I'll be sure and let everyone know how this turns out.

Tom
Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Great news! The paint came off with no damage to the car's finish. The shop manager said they didn't have to use rubbing compound, just polishing compound.

There was no charge. Now how's that for a great place to do business?

If anyone in the Madisonville, KY, area needs body work done, you simply CANNOT go wrong by taking your business to Hawkins Auto Body. They have always done excellent work on the cars I have taken to them, and they definitely show their appreciation to their customers.

Tom