Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
info about clutch

i want to know the difference between the 2 clutch of zpi

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...roducts_id=321

and

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...roducts_id=320

i know one is for street and the other for racing... but what is the difference in the mecanic of these 2 clutch..
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback 5 spd
The racing clutch should be more on-or-off with less room to slip than the street clutch. It will probably be harder to engage it smoothly and not ideal for street use. It would probably last longer, but I doubt there is ANY difference in real life between the two because the torque and horsepower numbers you'd see from even a turbocharged Yaris (what, 160-180hp?) shouldn't challenge the holding power of the stock clutch.
1995 Chevrolet k1500 extended cab
Blown 396 smallblock 797hp @6500RPM
looks stock, but burns riced-out imports daily.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
the stock clutch, can't hold the power of the turbo kit. It will start slipping immediately. As for the differences, Sleeper is right the 6 puck has a much more aggresive hold and is less streetable. It can still be used but for someone that wants more of a stock feel, the street disc is the way to go. If you like ripping up the clutch i.e. doing a bunch of burnouts and the like, I would recommend the pucked style.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
the stock clutch, can't hold the power of the turbo kit. It will start slipping immediately.
Is it really that bad? Do they really manufacture clutches so poorly these days? I'm assuming you tried your turbo setup on the stock clutch?

I remember my stock clutch in my pickup was good for ~475HP, after that it started to slip under hard acceleration (and the clutch had 20k miles on it too). That's 2x the stock horsepower of my truck. Muscle cars and big trucks have gotten me used to stock parts that can take a beating.

I'm going to try a couple of high-RPM clutch releases today and see if I can get the stock clutch to slip. If it does, I'm going to be disappointed. I've never experienced a new clutch (i.e. not completely worn) that can't take a mere 100hp and 100lb-ft of torque. Duct tape could hold the clutch plates from slipping with those numbers.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Is it really that bad? Do they really manufacture clutches so poorly these days? I'm assuming you tried your turbo setup on the stock clutch?

I remember my stock clutch in my pickup was good for ~475HP, after that it started to slip under hard acceleration (and the clutch had 20k miles on it too). That's 2x the stock horsepower of my truck. Muscle cars and big trucks have gotten me used to stock parts that can take a beating.

I'm going to try a couple of high-RPM clutch releases today and see if I can get the stock clutch to slip. If it does, I'm going to be disappointed. I've never experienced a new clutch (i.e. not completely worn) that can't take a mere 100hp and 100lb-ft of torque. Duct tape could hold the clutch plates from slipping with those numbers.
Economy car --- muscle car.... Which do you think the manufacturer would spend money on trying to prevent the owners from destroying during abuse?

Man, I'm on fire tonight. Just being an ass in everyone's thread. Sorry.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
turboyaris

well since clutchs are actually rated for torque not HP, I couldn't tell you what stock torque is like. I can tell you that the clutch is manufactured as said for an economy car, that being said the emphasis was probably on comfort over performance, which describes the soft cushy pedal feel. It isn't unheard of to have to upgrade clutchs, on most sport compacts once power is upgraded so too must the clutch.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

I don't remember the torque numbers for my truck engine when I replaced the clutch, so I gave the HP. I realize that clutches are rated for torque, but at what # does the Yaris clutch start slipping since stock it only has 100lb-ft? What torque numbers are you seeing with your car turboyaris?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
turboyaris

184 ft lbs i mean again its isn't a huge increase but you have to do it more as a percentage then actual numbers. Most clutches on sport compacts and all hold to like a 30% increase i believe. I can't say for sure where you would start slipping, supercharger, you might be able to get away with, but not the turbo kit.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
ZPIracing

Drives: Scions
The racer clutch will be a little more aggressive this includes pedal feel. It is still a sprung hub so it is not instant engagement like one might think. It will take a day or two to get use to it but can be driven everyday.

Either clutch will hold the power, the racer clutch will withstand more abuse longer.. i.e. hot lapping at a race track. The street clutch may subdue to heat if you where to beat on the car for an hour straight or something.
ZPIracing is offline   Reply With Quote