Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Any mods that enhance MPG AND power?

Just curious if there are any mods available that enhance both fuel economy and power. I'd be interested in something that does both. Thanks.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
NST makes a lightened crank pulley for $110 or so... a couple members reported better mileage with it installed. Also, any aspiration mods should (in theory) improve MPG... ie: intake and exhaust. There are options available that aren't overly loud or intrusive, but still provide a nice improvement over stock. You could also switch to lightweight rims, shave weight off the car by removing the rear seats if you don't need them... there are quite a few options.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Sorry, ima dummee--have read a bunch of threads about intake/exhaust and still have a question...

Is it necessary to install both to obtain good gain? I had CAI and cat-back on previous car b/c at the time was told there was not much in doing one without other...
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
exhaust and intake both help mpg. they also improve mpg on its own. but with installing these mods, it tends to make ppl a little heavier on the gas cuz they wanna feel the tiny extra power they have gained and/or to hear their intake sucking in air at like 4000 rpm.

I believe that turbos also increase mpg but only if you drive it normally.
But let's face it... who's gonna upgrade their performance and not push their car after?
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz View Post
But let's face it... who's gonna upgrade their performance and not push their car after?
push it AFTER? hell i push it so hard now it redonkulous, car is gonna bust me in da grill...

Right now I'm on the edge
So don't push me
I aim straight for your head
So don't push me
Fill your ass up with lead
So don't push me...
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
A couple of things to keep in mind..

CAI and Exhaust can HURT performance more then help.. Sure you may have a higher peak horse power at the top of the revs, but the less restriction can take away from your power on the lowend. Since it sounds like he's looking for something to get good gas mileage, I doubt that he will be running the crap out of it if he wants better mpg.

Your best bet is to keep the cars maintenance up to date, change fluids regularly, etc. and maybe put a K&N drop in filter in it. At least you only have to buy one of those and just clean them. They pay for themselves eventually.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
One thing that will help with mileage would be to keep your tires properly inflated. This is a small thing that many people overlook. I picked up a digital pressure tire gauge for about 10 bucks and with the amount of driving I do it has easily paid for itself. You could also go above the recommended tire pressure, but I wouldn't over do it. It makes for less rolling resistance, but the ride might be harsher and like under inflated tires, over inflating and lead to reduced tire life. I purchased some lightweight 17" wheels and the nitto tires that came with them have a recommended pressure of 51. I checked my pressure after going to a tire shop and had them check it for me, they were only putting 32psi, which cost me some mileage. Of course, you could always get a "performance" chip off of ebay, lol
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Of course, you could always get a "performance" chip off of ebay, lol
How could I have forgotten about the performance chip?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
How could I have forgotten about the performance chip?
Don't forget the fuel saver module that will get you 15mpg more!
Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
grampi

I'm assuming you guys are kidding about the performance chip, right?
Old 05-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
kidding is not allowed on yarisworld.

just kidding
Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
I'm assuming you guys are kidding about the performance chip, right?
Yes, I was kidding. DON'T get it! The best ways to gain performance while maintaining/increasing MPG are:
Tire pressure maintained
Clean air filter, whether cold air intake or drop in type
Light wheels (most plus-sized wheels are heavy. Always check the weight)
Lightened pulleys (So far NST has the lightest, and only the crank pulley is out so far)
Free(r) flowing exhaust. I went with TRD, isn't super loud either, no fart-can here
lose any extra weight
avoid ebay gimicks promising huge power gains and mpg gains
shark fin antenna. (Hatchback only) That long antenna sure isn't helping wind resistance.
Keep the car clean and waxed
Keep your eyes open on the road ahead. Planning manuvers can help you time stoplights, merge with traffic and what not.
I switched to 5w-20 synthetic oil and noticed a difference after the stupid dealer put in 10w-30 dinosaur oil in there. More performance and HUGE increase in MPG. I wouldn't recommend 10w-30 at all. You can put it in there, but that heavy of oil isn't needed. There's my 2 cents for now.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
brought up a really good point. Going with a too big of an exhaust or having a crappy header will lower your power. I believe people here has upgraded to a 2" to a 2.5" exhaust, nothing more.
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I have a 2007 Yaris hatchback with a 5 speed manual tranmission. I installed a TRD's Cold air intake and mileage improved about 50 miles more per tank of gas.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #15
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Dropping the car will decrease drag if you do a lot of hwy/frwy driving....2" drop is probably 3% reduction of frontal area. 2"drop times width of car equals at least a 10"square....how much force does it take when you hold a full size notebook up to the wind at 60mph?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #16
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz View Post
brought up a really good point. Going with a too big of an exhaust or having a crappy header will lower your power. I believe people here has upgraded to a 2" to a 2.5" exhaust, nothing more.
2.5 inch exhaust on a naturally aspirated Yaris!? Thats nuts!!! I wouldn't go over 2 inches max without some sort of forced induction. 1.5 inch would probably work better. Turbo cars and V8s usually run 2.5-3 inch exhaust. Be very careful of the parts you buy though. Do a lot of research for before and after dyno sheets and pay close attention to the HP and torque at lower RPMs. See if there is any decrease in power. Especially around the 2500 - 3000 RPM range since that is where most of the street driving takes place. Don't fall into this 5HP gain trick. Yes, you might gain 5hp at 6000 RPM but there is a good chance that you lose torque or HP at the low and midrange areas. I don't know about you, but spending $300-$400 on something that is a power decrease where I drive most seems like a waste of money to me.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #17
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Yes, I was kidding. DON'T get it! The best ways to gain performance while maintaining/increasing MPG are:
Tire pressure maintained
Clean air filter, whether cold air intake or drop in type
Light wheels (most plus-sized wheels are heavy. Always check the weight)
Lightened pulleys (So far NST has the lightest, and only the crank pulley is out so far)
Free(r) flowing exhaust. I went with TRD, isn't super loud either, no fart-can here
lose any extra weight
avoid ebay gimicks promising huge power gains and mpg gains
shark fin antenna. (Hatchback only) That long antenna sure isn't helping wind resistance.
Keep the car clean and waxed
Keep your eyes open on the road ahead. Planning manuvers can help you time stoplights, merge with traffic and what n
I switched to 5w-20 synthetic oil and noticed a difference after the stupid dealer put in 10w-30 dinosaur oil in there. More performance and HUGE increase in MPG. I wouldn't recommend 10w-30 at all. You can put it in there, but that heavy of oil isn't needed. There's my 2 cents for now.
Is 5W-20 called for in the Yaris?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Yup! It even says so on the oil cap I've heard of people using 0w-20, but where I live it gets over 100f in the summer and below zero in the winter so I'm sticking with the 5w-20. It is a energy conserving oil. Even my gf's '98 Taurus wagon recommends 5w-20.