Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
oldguy07himile

Drives: 168k Miles 07 yaris
New to YW old Yaris

Hey folks,

First, this place is phenomenal, very much appreciate all the work already done. I have an 07 Yaris with 168k miles and climbing. Ive put 158k of those miles on. If im honest, the yaris has always been a bit of an appliance i.e. i took it for granted. Grew up thinking there was no replacement for displacement, so i never looked at this car as a legit enthusiast ride. Until recently that is. After seeing what Armstrong Racing has done and Tmontegue have put together coupled with a hard look at what i like about driving, i see the yaris as a platform to:

A) Reliably drive hard
B) Make corners great again
C) Build with my kids in a way that wont break the bank

That's the goal anyway. So here are my questions after spending entirely too much time on this site.

1) Coilovers
I've seen mixed reviews, worth it? Or simply upgrade to better shocks and springs? Can you install by your self? Or do you need another set of hands?

2) Mods to the 1.5
Is it worth spending the money on N/A upgrades to the 1.5 or simply save up and dump the 1.8 2ZRFE in?

3) The 2ZRFE
The threads on this motor are super informative and detailed. Thank you. I grew up working on cars, older cars, cars that's ECU was disguised as a distributor cap. Is it really a plug and play swap or is there some kind of gremlin that is simply so obvious i'm not seeing it? Short aside, ill be doing that in the yaris one way or the other, i just need to buy a back up DD to cover for it when i inevitably screw it up.

Thank you all in advance, you have absolutely already helped more than you know.

Never been a fan of non go fast mods but in an effort to get things going ive done the following this week:
JVC double din head unit
new front speakers
Bad ass new shift knob
oldguy07himile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Welcome to the Forums.

Check out the Seatime Yaris forum featuring my car as well for some alternative ideas (im limited due to classing)

To answer your questions

1) Id spend the actual money for good coilovers, they tend to ride better and tend to hold up better over time, that said I have Teins on my current car and will beat it mercilessly until they blow or break and from there I might have to drop for some Bilstiens. Please Click Here

2) modding the 1.5 is possible but it is lengthy and requires as much if not more money than a 2Zr that is for practicality purposes a stock drop in that'll net you more power and still be a sealed box (now watch as I dont listen to that advice and modify my 1nz..)

3) Armstrong can answer that if you DM him, both him and Tmontegue are active here and super helpful and friendly

again welcome to YW

some side advice, buy everything involving the shifter you can from Mirco-image
Tires and rear sway bar make the world of difference.

Interesting tidbit is that the swap is also reversible to the scion. so if you find a scion XD you can take the 1nz out of your car and dump it into the scion and have two running vehicles..
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
oldguy07himile

The teins are on my build sheet, seem to be better than the megans? How was the install?

Thanks for the reply man, much appreciated. Im pretty set on the motor swap, i could put a header and cat back exhaust on a motor with 168k OR.....

Out of curiosity do you have a back up DD? If so what is it?
Old 05-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Runethecursed

"Back up"
"'Daily"
"Tow Rig"
"Moves across country every 3 damn years and it has heat warmers and AWD"
"15mpg so not really a daily"

You be the judge ;)

Tein Coils where fine to swap, not the easiest, not the hardest.
megans bc tien most lower base coilover companies still get the same shocks and valving done by the same place. Its all thailand stuff. BC does a good job packaging it, and Tien uses their name after building in house for many years.

That's all opinion thought and I dont have viable facts to back it up. ;)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:33 AM   #5
oldguy07himile

hahahaha just asked as i know i will mess up my Yaris at some point and i still have to get to work. The main mod i have to make is likely buying a back up DD. When you did the Teins did you get a spring compressor to take out the bump stops or just cowboy it up and hope for the best?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Runethecursed

Fronts are preassembled

rears.......
floor jack to compress springs. a million zip ties, and some luck.

doing the wrong things the right way
Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
my opinion on suspension: if you do not need to adjust your ride height, why get coil overs? also, as you compress the spring, the spring rate changes. how do you compensate for that?
my opinion on mods for 1.5: they are simple and fun. there is some great gains from TB swap and manifold port. it cost is $50 and sanding time. exhaust makes much better sound with a better muffler. turbo charger will be the best!
my opinion on 1.5 vs. 1.8: 1.8 is okay for a drop in if you get it for cheap with low miles. since the yaris T sport and Scion xd exist, you should believe the swap is pretty simple if you have all the parts ready. but... i have heard some bad things that happen once in a wile in the 1.8, and it's just not the wonderfully designed engine the 1nz is.
i would drop in the 1.8, and build the my 1.5 if i had the money to throw around...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy07himile View Post
Hey folks,

First, this place is phenomenal, very much appreciate all the work already done. I have an 07 Yaris with 168k miles and climbing. Ive put 158k of those miles on. If im honest, the yaris has always been a bit of an appliance i.e. i took it for granted. Grew up thinking there was no replacement for displacement, so i never looked at this car as a legit enthusiast ride. Until recently that is. After seeing what Armstrong Racing has done and Tmontegue have put together coupled with a hard look at what i like about driving, i see the yaris as a platform to:

A) Reliably drive hard
B) Make corners great again
C) Build with my kids in a way that wont break the bank

That's the goal anyway. So here are my questions after spending entirely too much time on this site.

1) Coilovers
I've seen mixed reviews, worth it? Or simply upgrade to better shocks and springs? Can you install by your self? Or do you need another set of hands?

2) Mods to the 1.5
Is it worth spending the money on N/A upgrades to the 1.5 or simply save up and dump the 1.8 2ZRFE in?

3) The 2ZRFE
The threads on this motor are super informative and detailed. Thank you. I grew up working on cars, older cars, cars that's ECU was disguised as a distributor cap. Is it really a plug and play swap or is there some kind of gremlin that is simply so obvious i'm not seeing it? Short aside, ill be doing that in the yaris one way or the other, i just need to buy a back up DD to cover for it when i inevitably screw it up.

Thank you all in advance, you have absolutely already helped more than you know.

Never been a fan of non go fast mods but in an effort to get things going ive done the following this week:
JVC double din head unit
new front speakers
Bad ass new shift knob
where in the midwest are you?

1. i found megans on my old 07 kind of firm. i went to eibach sportlines. i would easily choose shocks and progressive springs over coilovers on a light car.

2. i had my yaris modded over time with intake, header, full exhaust and lightweight pullies. i enjoyed the power/response. then i went with a blitz supercharger. loved the power and the whine.

3. 2zr is supercharger power with OEM reliabilty. hard to argue with that.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
oldguy07himile

Modifying the ride height would be kinda cool? I however have a pretty steep driveway, so too low, and ill be doing involuntary body work. I will never track this car, ever. I don't need another weekend and wallet obliterating hobby. I just want a better handling less anemic DD, that doesn't cost a fortune and wont give me anxiety when I park it at the movie theater. After adding up all the costs associated with a new throttle body, intake, header and full exhaust it starts to get real real close to the cost of a 1.8L. However, all those mods can be done in stages with out shelling out a grand all at once, gotta love being an adult, decisions decisions. For now suspension, it needs to be changed. I just have to find the right parts for DD and better handling, that are obviously free, problem free to install made of unobtainium, and come standard with a unicorn, Im really not asking much.

Yeah Minnesota based, so digging into the rust is going to be super fun.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I have driven a Toyota Avensis with a 2ZR-FE engine and i found it to be a very impressive engine. It must be absolutely lethal in a Yaris.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I have driven a Toyota Avensis with a 2ZR-FE engine and i found it to be a very impressive engine. It must be absolutely lethal in a Yaris.
Heard some good compliments about 2ZR-FE engines either. Can't wait to hear some results when this engine is mounted on a Yaris.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
Runethecursed

In case you didnt see...
Old 05-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
Exactly as i expected. Even the 1.3 Yaris is fairly sporty considering its so light and the wheels out on the corners of the body. In the Avensis estate the 1.8 seems pretty torq-y and responsive across a wide rev range. Impressive.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 PM   #14
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
Great run for both!
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, diy, engine, questions, swap