Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Silverglow,

The intent of my posts were not to anger anyone. If you read my posts I made it clear the manual for my 2009 indicates to check the transmission fluid at either 100k or 120k (I can never remember which but I've got plenty of time to look it up again before I hit that kind of mileage). For my 09 that's it-its lifetime fluid and Toyota dosen't recommend changing it. I then voiced what MY intent is which is to do drain and fills. I then quoted the service manual regarding top up and valve body removal as examples that no mention is made in literature I can find that indicates a complete flush is required vs just adding new fluid. In other words I have seen no mention anywhere in my materials of the fact "new and unused" ws can't be added to ws that's already in use in the tranny. If anyone can point me toward where this is written and it applies to my 09 I will stand corrected and will be most appreciative.

Let me also restate I realize there is NO recommended transmission maintenance for my 09 other than inspection of the ATF at 100k or so and apologize if I confused anyone.

R2
No need to apologize, and I was never angry.

I've got a 2007 and I would be surprised if the auto-tranny maintenence schedule for your 2009 is different.

I currently have 74,000 miles on my Yaris and at 100,000 I will have the ws drained and replentished by the dealership. They charge around $120 for this service and they have the machinery and such so I'll just pay. Then at 150,000 and after each 50,000 miles I will do the same thing, as per the manual.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #20
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
A user here referred me to this link before my last service: http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pa...rvice/diy.html

It covers everything up 120K

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
For what years Yaris?

Mine's a 2007, in Canada. The specs stay the same up to 2009.

It would be interesting if the US and Canada have different specs, yet relatively the save climate (save for far South, or far North).

A proper flush, with a car lift, is easy to do. They have to hook up a "dummy" electrical current to engage the transmission pump, to flush out all the fluid (along with the pumping of the flush machine itself - this is per the shop manual). You can drain and fill it yourself, but you're only getting a little over half the fluid out at a time. Even if you do your own disposal in someone's dump fluid tanks, it'll take roughly twenty one quarts to flush the majority of it out. For that price, you may as well just get it flushed by the dealer. I'm sorta on the fence in regards to pan drops. Yes, there is a mesh filter in there that theoretically needs replacing, but the likely stripped hex bolts that result from trying to drop the pan, as well as possibly warping the pan, or worse, the interference surface of the pan, makes me think it's just not worth the risk. As always, that's something up to you to decide.

The only extra advice I can add is that once the fluid is flushed by the dealer, make sure he checks the level while the fluid is warm: Once again, all the info is available in the shop manual, which is available for download somewhere on YW.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote