Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Worth a shot, say that many people are waiting on a review for this kit from someone and that if it works out well you will write an excellent review with pics and videos. A lot of companies do this as it will benefit them. I will try to find the reviews when i search through that forum next.

EHHHH do you have anyone elses car to drive in the meantime. ANY turbo kit regardless will take some time to install, Even when busting ass on it. Expect it to be down a week at the least. More so if you get someone who is not experienced in this, even though this is an easy engine to work on, there will always be some snag or something
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
ANY turbo kit regardless will take some time to install, Even when busting ass on it. Expect it to be down a week at the least. More so if you get someone who is not experienced in this, even though this is an easy engine to work on, there will always be some snag or something
From beginning to end I can install my kit in 8-10 hrs, less if I had help. The only delay is to wait till the silicone on the oil pan dries & the JB Weld for the oil return to dry.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
agreed. if it's a KIT (meaning all the parts are made and included), 8 hours is about right.

maybe add wiring time to that, but it's not a week regardless.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

8 hours maybe if you have installed this kit before like cdydjd has before, but for other people never working on this engine it may take a bit along with the wiring. And also I doubt some shop would sit there for 8 hrs straight doing the same job. Some might, but I doubt that it will get done like that, especially with checking and making sure everything works at the end before you start and test it.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #23
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Me and my dad installed the blitz kit in 1 day ( not knowing what we're doing and taking our time ), and did the wiring the following day.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #24
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
8 hours maybe if you have installed this kit before like cdydjd has before, but for other people never working on this engine it may take a bit along with the wiring. And also I doubt some shop would sit there for 8 hrs straight doing the same job. Some might, but I doubt that it will get done like that, especially with checking and making sure everything works at the end before you start and test it.
A shop with 4 technicians could bang it out in a day?
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #25
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

SC goes on the intake, alot easier to get tools in there and alot less work to do all of that, release belt tension, and put a new belt on etc. Did you need to run oil lines/coolant lines/ all that jazz? It does take substantially longer with a turbo along with clamping everything down properly and testing the system. Do you know how many times i overtorqued a crush washer?

Yes, a shop with 4 technicians can bang it out rather quickly, but if they were each working, they would be banging heads. Me and a buddy busted out an incredible amount of work in a 3 day period when some guy came up from D.C. but it still took us almost 40hrs of staying at the shop, not something most places would do for cheap
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #26
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Install time doesn't matter, as my parents have two cars I could borrow when needed and all my friends drive so no worries. I'm going to contact Zage shortly and atleast ask for a decent discount in exchange for a quality review, pictures of install, and install steps. I'd be surprised if they didn't take the offer as it's a potential entrance into the USDM market.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Also state that you will take videos and upload to youtube and get the car dynoed eventually and upload results, that will also entice them as well, but you do have to pull through with that promise. They may charge you full up front but will refund you later, either way, you get your money back....
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
advocate

Drives: car
If you pay full up front make sure you get it in writing the amount they are going to refund beforehand.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
Focus_Sh1ft

Still trying to work out a deal with Zage, but in the meantime I'm going to begin calling tuning and exhaust shops in my area. The optimal exhaust setup I need is still a bit unclear to me...

Should I go for a 2.25" or 2.5" diameter?
Muffler or no muffler?
Will catback be acceptable? I figure I'll replace the cat with a high-flow cat as well. I just can't see how I'd pull off a turbo-back exhaust setup without having the turbo on first lol. This also assures the downpipe from Zage's kit will still fit.

Oh, and also: anyone else have anything to say regarding the clutch? I'm especially curious as to how it will hold up on my automatic transmission...
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #30
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

1. your automatic transmission doesn't have a clutch.

2. how many psi? 2.25" if mildly boosting, I like the sound of 2.5" though. cat-back is fine, you'll lose a little power from the restriction, but you can always attend to that later.

3. Muffler - yes, it won't affect your power. I make 357 whp, and I have a muffler.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #31
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
1. your automatic transmission doesn't have a clutch.
Ok, stupid mistake on my part. I assume the torque converter wouldn't experience the same issue as a clutch would then?

I'm wondering though, are there any particular issues that may arise with an automatic transmission?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #32
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^ Overheating
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #33
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

you can install a trans fluid cooler, it's probably a good insurance policy for your trans.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #34
Focus_Sh1ft

Ugh, trying to get quotes for an exhaust setup for our cars is a pain lmao. No one has ever even heard of it.

As for tuning, I found what looks to be a legit place that claims they can tune anything so long as I provide the software. They charge $155 / hour + parts for dyno tuning. Sounds pretty good to me, and they're only about 20 minutes away. Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Ask for a reference or two, and/or go hang out when they are tuning a car.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #36
Focus_Sh1ft

Just found an ultimate w/ universal harness for $410. I'm thinking I'm going to jump on this deal. Originally I thought I could get my hands on an emanage blue for like $150. Turns out I need to work on my reading skills...

Regarding the eManage blue, I am terribly confused as to what harnesses I would need if I went that route. Obviously ignition and injection, but there's a ton of others listed on Greddy's site that I don't understand the purpose of. I've PMed ChinoCharles for more info, but was wondering if anyone else could shed some light on this?

At this point, I'm actually beginning to lean more towards the AEM FiC. It seems a bit more straight-foward, and I believe there has been higher success with this on the Yaris. (?)
I'd also like to mention that I intend to wire up whatever piggyback I do choose, myself. Seems like a daunting task, but not impossible.

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 07-13-2010 at 09:05 PM.