Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
We Have the Beats!

New audio = pictures because pictures are fun

Something that's been long overdue and one of what I hope to be a few mods in preparation for Toyotafest 2018.
Attached Images

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 04-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Pics aren't working.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #3
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Pics aren't working.
Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed (I hope lol).

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
You'll have to take out the sub to open the rear deck cover ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
You'll have to take out the sub to open the rear deck cover ?
Yes; but the box isn't tied down. Given it's weight, the material it's wrapped in, the factory velcro on the back of the rear seat it bumps up against and the carpet on top of the rear deck cover, it stays firmly in place without being tied down. If I need to get to the spare tire area, or want the extra room in the hatch area, I can just unplug the speaker wire from the box and move it.

The amp was installed under the passenger seat so it doesn't take any hatch space.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
David C

I have a small 8" 300w LoPro 8 powered amp in my car and that thing already makes the whole car rattle at half power. Thus I find big subs overkill for this car, especially with the space it takes.

But again I often load up the car so I don't have room to keep moving a sub every time :p
Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
ern-diz

Quote:
I have a small 8" 300w LoPro 8 powered amp in my car and that thing already makes the whole car rattle at half power. Thus I find big subs overkill for this car, especially with the space it takes.

But again I often load up the car so I don't have room to keep moving a sub every time :p
Yeah, I went back and forth on going for a 10" in sealed box, or self powered 8" tube. I used to run 12" subs, so I couldn't help myself lol.

I feel like the tube would have required nearly as much space in the hatch so although the 10" isn't technically necessary for this size of car, it certainly is fun. I also like being able to tune it down and still hear/feel those deeper lows.

We use my car for grocery runs but it's just the two of us, so we never need all the space.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
David C

If you only do 2 seater runs, you should delete the rear seat and make flat deck, then you can turn the rear deck into a huge ported sub assembly :p
Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
ern-diz

Quote:
If you only do 2 seater runs, you should delete the rear seat and make flat deck, then you can turn the rear deck into a huge ported sub assembly :p
Ha!

I've had those thoughts, trust me.

If/when I end up getting a new car, project vader helmet will go full retard. Sub assembly, 2ZR engine swap and more on the roadmap...

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
David C

Honestly I've yet to catch on the engine swap hype for the Yaris. I mean that's a lot of money and effort for a $4k 10yo car that isn't made for speed/power like a civic platform. Off course more power would be nice for this car, but going trough the trouble of an engine swap ?? They make Golf for that.

Am I missing something ?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
...Off course more power would be nice for this car...
That is exactly what it boils down to for me. I don't plan on racing the car, but for what amounts to a fairly easy swap (some forum users have done it alone over a weekend) you gain 30 bhp, 30 lbs ft of torque and add no significant weight. Mates to the Yaris trans, is cheaper than turbo/supercharger route and those that do track these cars sing the praises of the bigger n/a option over f/i on the 1.5 L.

For me, it would just be nice to have that extra freeway merging power for both practicality and driving enjoyment. It would also make my 1 NZ FE plates even cooler lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #12
David C

Lol, just floor the throttle and have the car drop a gear to run in the 3 800's RPM and you're golden. Plus you get pushed in your seat and it feels like nitro boost, cheap thrills hehe

But I understand how more power can be appealing when the car is hauling more than just a single driver. If all you do is drive around getting groceries, might as well get a clean little FRS or 86, or even better, a mid 90's Miata that will be dirt cheap to buy, insure and drive while providing a fun ride, if you can handle that much manliness.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Lol, just floor the throttle and have the car drop a gear to run in the 3 800's RPM and you're golden. Plus you get pushed in your seat and it feels like nitro boost, cheap thrills hehe

But I understand how more power can be appealing when the car is hauling more than just a single driver. If all you do is drive around getting groceries, might as well get a clean little FRS or 86, or even better, a mid 90's Miata that will be dirt cheap to buy, insure and drive while providing a fun ride, if you can handle that much manliness.
Haha, too funny.

Mine is a 5-speed but it's little 1.5 L only has so much to give regardless of what you do. A hundred horsepower/torque is what it is.

I was on the cusp of buying a Ford Focus RS last year. Working from home, I don't actually need a car, so I've been content just modifying the Yaris. Also far more unique than an FRS/86 or Miata. They're dime a dozen.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
David C

We Have the Beats!

There a guy selling a red Matrix XRS locally here, $3 700 fully equipped, with that engine you're craving. Buy it, swap engines and sell it back

Oh wait, you're not stuck up north with us.

Last edited by David C; 04-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Haha, too funny.

Mine is a 5-speed but it's little 1.5 L only has so much to give regardless of what you do. A hundred horsepower/torque is what it is.

I was on the cusp of buying a Ford Focus RS last year. Working from home, I don't actually need a car, so I've been content just modifying the Yaris. Also far more unique than an FRS/86 or Miata. They're dime a dozen.
You make Snow White (my FR-S) sad

But nice system you got going. I thought about getting another 10" sub in a ported box (like I had in the Vios), but didn't want to run a separate amp and power cable through the firewall, and I wanted something that's on the lighter side and super quick to disconnect for the heavy grocery runs. So that's why I stuck with the 100w Bazooka tube. That, and it didn't cost me a penny (neither did the 50w version in the FR-S).
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
might as well get a clean little FRS or 86

Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #17
ern-diz

Quote:
There a guy selling a red Matrix XRS locally here, $3 700 fully equipped, with that engine you're craving. Buy it, swap engines and sell it back

Oh wait, you're not stuck up north with us.
No, I'm not lol. Also, I've seen listings for just the engine going for between $700-$800, so whenever I get around to it, I'd probably go for something like that rather than buy a full donor car.

Quote:
You make Snow White (my FR-S) sad

But nice system you got going. I thought about getting another 10" sub in a ported box (like I had in the Vios), but didn't want to run a separate amp and power cable through the firewall, and I wanted something that's on the lighter side and super quick to disconnect for the heavy grocery runs. So that's why I stuck with the 100w Bazooka tube. That, and it didn't cost me a penny (neither did the 50w version in the FR-S).
Aww, no love lost! lol

I like those cars a lot, just not something I'd get into myself. Yours is beautiful, no doubt about it.

On Wheelwell
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #18
David C

Quote:

That's more what I meant, to stay on the engine swap topic.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...ne-109455.html