Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
General G-MAX AS-03 Tires

I have previously owned General tires, their UHP summer series and was very pleased with the responsiveness, planted handling, and great durability on slightly rougher roads. I recently purchased the G-max series tires and I can say it is a definite tire to look in to. Not only is the g-max a great street tire with lots of grip and light weight characteristics, but it has many features some will come to appreciate.

My original UHP tires managed about 2 years of driving-- roughly 25,000 miles before I turned them in. While the mileage is not great compared to some eco tires, I managed to drive like a bat out of hell to the last week without much trouble. Ultimately uneven wear (the outsides were more shallow) lead to the short life span. Both tires are rated at 40k miles for average drivers.
I did a bit of quick research and decided to go with General tires again, the reviews were similar (glowing for rather affordable tires.)

This G-max tire is a bit of an advancement over the previous tire; advancements I noticed are much more unique tread design, flexible ends on some of the tread, visual aids for tire wear/life, and better wet traction.

The flexible ends on the tread (you can push it easily with your finger so I'm not sure how long it will last) aid in traction and help reduce snow/ice debris. the tire itself is very similar in dry conditions (I have yet to push the tires to squealing in my driving, which I would say still exceeds the previous tire in many ways as I felt the earlier version slip a bit more often.)
Where this tire really shines in supposedly ice/snow (I am waiting for conditions to change) and wet.

Now I can fully attest to its wet traction. It is well, well, well beyond the original tire. I feel like a champion driving around when it's wet out, and have zero hesitation while driving-- slipping is not even something I think about because there seems to always be traction (maybe even more so than dry, but I suppose that has to do with cleaner roads.) Hydroplaning is much less likely while driving, I intentionally aim for puddles just to see what's going to happen and it just seems to plow right through them. I am really, very happy with the wet traction; not only does it just seem safer, it also inspires confidence while driving in these conditions.

I have about 3k miles on them and am very happy. I'll give an update towards their end of life or if something major changes, but in the mean time: 2 thumbs up :)

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/G-MAX-AS-03 is the actual product site
road and track has a short article on the tire as well and is what swayed me to grab them: http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-...re-g-max-as-03

I am running 195x55x15, stock steel wheels
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
A shame they don't come in 215/35-18 like the Exclaim UHP does/did.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote