Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #37
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
I wish I had a garage to work in... then I might attempt something like this, I envy you with all your resources and time to custom build a box.
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #38
FcukThis

Drives: yaris
Yeah, it really is time consuming..

I find myself just dreaming of my install whenever i'm bored at work.
Just have to put in work little by little every day.

Just an update guys: Sorry no pics. I'll shoot some tomorrow.
I attached the base mdf piece to the plug. Basically just used resin reinforced w/ saw dust + tiny specs chopped mat.. then stuff it with csm as far down as i could. Today i reinforced the seam with more kyntex.. 1 layer on top. 1 on bottom.

I also cut out the side mdf's.. So far so good.

To do
• reinforce the seam.. (maybe 1 more layer..)
• attach mdf sides
• reinforce sides
• trim fiberglass
• measure out, cut out top face
• cut ring into face
• attach face, reinforce it
• add carpet/vinyl -> finish

Then its on to the amp rack (shelf)
FcukThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #39
FcukThis

Bottom mdf piece glassed on.. gap filled primarily w/ resin + chopped strand mat + sawdust.

2nd pic of bottom..
After this layer of CSM.. Biaxial kyntex was laid over to reinforce the seam.

Pic of side mdf walls put up..
Gorilla glued down, screwed in from bottom. then reinforced with resin lining to ensure no air leakage.
Gaps which connected the mdf to fiberglass were resin'd in place then csm -> bixial kyntex.. inside and out. I filled the tub with water... no leaks on my first attempt

Next.. Top face mdf was traced out..
Cut to shape-- then ring's position was drawn on

Circle jig cheat sheet & ideas

Measuring depth of cut

First plunge cut and routed out.

First plunge cut and routed out.

I actually lost the pivot pin for the jasper jig.. I felt screwed at first. I ended up grabbing a nail, and wrapping it with several layers of scotch tape to increase the thickness. I then stuck it through the bottom of the face. Voiilaa, problem fixed.
1st cut in...

Many.. cuts later..
Here's a raw picture.. the flushed routing hasn't been cleaned off/sanded down. You get the basic idea though. I decided to utilize the mdf ring i cut out a couple weeks ago... I don't like wasting :]. Anyways, the speaker ring is going to act as a border for the sub woofer.. I cut a little extra on the face flushing to give leeway for the carpet or vinyl wrapping. With the border, i can also throw in a little two tone. Also -- The edges of the speaker ring have yet to be rounded out.

Face, speaker ring, routed top. If you look closely.. I didn't trim the fiberglass tub straight :[.. So there is a bit of a slant when i lay down the face. No problem though-- I will attach the face onto the mdf (which is flush), then reglass the gap closed.

Here you can see the gap i'm talking about :[.
It's ok.. Glass is my magic eraser!

I figured that while i'm at it.. I might as well overkill the tub.. Shoot no harm.
Since i have 5 gallons of spectrum at my disposal.. I didn't think it would hurt if i lined the tub and face.. Here's a pic of the first layer of the spectrum applied. I will probably only add 1-2 layers... It's not even needed. And I don't want to mess up the internal volume, this stuff can get thick.

Last edited by FcukThis; 09-09-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: double posted a picture.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #40
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
This is some dang fine work!

Oh, and yes, those 2 bolts by the window on the 6x9s SUCK!

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #41
FcukThis

Thanks 47, and yes.. i don't want to touch the 6x9's ever again.

An Update moment--

sqcomp got me interested in Hybrid.. So i did a little digging. Contacted Scott buwalda and asked for a retail price sheet.
He's selling b-stock 'damaged' box equipment for 25% off retail price.

I was thinking on buying a set of legatias... and replacing the RE xxx comps i have installed.
hen it hit me... Why do i want to put 500$ speakers in a car i don't even own. Yeah..-- it's still my parents car...Yes i'm 18.
Don't get me wrong, i love the yaris to death (easiest car i've ever driven)... i drive it everyday, pay insurance, maintain it. But i didn't buy it. I'm grateful enough that they're allowing me to do my install.

Perhaps on my next install.. I'll throw in a set of Legatias. I'll probably rip out the uber deck from the yaris and replace it with something cheaper--
I'd probably throw a pair of DIYMA r12's for bass... Maybe the new si slim sub...maybe a ssa.

*man this is bad, i'm not even done with the yaris and i'm thinking on my next install*
I got an itch :|

Truth be told, i hacked up the yaris pretty good. (Like my body filler door pods.. WOW) I'll admit, many things were done rashly because i didn't have enough knowledge nor resources to do things right the first time. I started the install w/o a job. But boy, my next install will be clean as hell. I really feel like i'm learning something here, and that's what counts.
Anyways, done with my emo moments. On to the build log! -- Going to add on another layer of spectrum on the tub and face before i go to work.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #42
47_MasoN_47

Shoot that's the way everything is man. In order to do good work, you have to start off with some crap that will make you puke when you look at it a few years later.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 09-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #43
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Shoot that's the way everything is man. In order to do good work, you have to start off with some crap that will make you puke when you look at it a few years later.
AMEN!
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 AM   #44
FcukThis

Shit, so i just realized..
the SI Mag v4 ... has dual voice coils. :|
I totally forgot, so instead of powering 870watts @ 2Ω that i had originally planned.
It will be getting 1000watts @ 1Ω

Recommendation is .85-1 cu feet of airspace.
Power rating : 600-1000w
Therefore, no problem with the increase in power.

However -- the enclosure that i built is ~.85 cubic ft.
I'm wondering what will happen when i juice that sucker 1,000 watts. Hopefully not much.
It's not like the sub is ever going to get a constant 1,000 watts..

More power=more space?
It's def. going to sound different... I am planning on adding 1pound of polyfill. Hopefully that'll counter the difference of .15 cubic ft.

HURMMM

Last edited by FcukThis; 09-10-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #45
FcukThis

Why hello there,

Yeah, i got tired of technique. Screw it. These make my scrubby applications flawless.

It looks like i'll be inverting my sub.. I need to get as much airspace as i can..
Kind of looks funny though, but what can you do. Only 5.5".. Can you say shallow beast?
No problems with hinge clearance too.. I have tons of space.
Don't worry guys, the mdf portions are perfectly straight. It looks off because the mdf face is slouching on the slant of the fiberglass(bad trim job).

I'm trying to think of a creative way to terminate my wiring.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #46
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Looks Sweet!

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #47
47_MasoN_47

When you invert a sub like that does it alter the way that it sounds? Seems like it would shove all the sound down into the box. I mean yeah you'll hear it I'm sure, but it seems like it would alter the way that it sounds. Also, would it generate enough pressure to damage the box? I know I've seen some people who have broken their back glass with subs before.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #48
FcukThis

The sound, in theory should be the same. At least that's what i've read everywhere. You just have to reverse polarity accordingly if i'm correct??

Sound comes out both ends.

As far as pressure, i'm not sure what the affects are when you invert it. But i really doubt more pressure is produced when inverting, if so-- not nearly enough to damage the box i made. :].

I will do some more researching. It's def. something i should take into account.

Can anyone give any definite answers? Feel free to chime in guys.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I don't have any scientific proof but I would think that if the airspace was correct the inverted sub wouldn't hit as hard because you are reducing the effective piston area thus moving less air. As far as reversing the polarity try it both ways. When I do subwoofers I listen to them in phase and out of phase and choose which sounds the best. Btw you will like that SI sub. I have had a few of them in the past. I am friends with the owner and have had a few demo units over the years.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #50
47_MasoN_47

Yeah I'm no audio expert, I just tinker about with it and have a few friends that are pretty serious into audio setups. I've just seen a lot of busted boxes and whatnot in the past and would hate to see all your hard work go to waste.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #51
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
The instructions for the Solo-Barics read "not to install the woofer upside down... and specify a 0.66 cubic feet only use sealed box."

Every component is different.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #52
FcukThis

Palmer - Have you had any experience with the si v4?

I tested it a long while ago, (wrote a review in exchange for the sub). 1cu airspace, 1000 watts, polyfilled. Sounded great.

I would mount it normally... but i'm not sure how it'd sound with the small airspace..
That would be .85cu - driver's volume displacement. pumped 1,000 watts.

I'm not sure whether or not the driver is designed for inverting.. (Good thing to point out derick) Perhaps i'll shoot stereo integrity an email.

What's probably going to happen-- is that i'll try it both ways. Hear the difference for myself, and of course, pick the one i like more.

--------
Update on build log
Cut out another 3/4" mdf ring, mounted it underneath the face. This is going to add extra support to the sub. Bumping the total "ring" thickness to about 1 1/4".. It was really shallow (~1/2" because i countersunk the top ring)..
I'll post pics tomorrow.

I also took a 3/8" roundover to the outer speaker ring.

2 more layers of spectrum will be added to the plug!.. Just because!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #53
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
The last woofer I had from them was a Magnum D2. That was several years ago. I would email Nick and ask his opinion.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #54
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I don't seem to remember Kicker ever telling me that my old Solo D 15's were only to be put in sealed enclosures...That's what I did, but still...