Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
Battery Warning Light - Different Twist maybe

So I read the pages and pages of stuff on this site with the battery warning light issues. Here is what has happened to me with my 08 Yaris (298,000 miles)
Replaced the original alternator with a NAPA remanufactured unit about a month and a half ago. Three weeks ago the battery warning light came on after I cranked the car up from getting gas. I went to advanced auto and they checked the alternator (which they said was fine) and the battery which they said needed to be replaced. It was 4-1/2 years old so I figured OK that makes since. Replaced battery and all was good until yesterday. I cranked the car up when I left the grocery store and the battery warning light came on. I had some ice cream and knew if I went to advance auto it would be liquid before I got home. I pulled off the road, shut the car off, waiting 30 seconds and cranked it back up – no battery light. Since then I have gone through 3 recrank’s with no issues. The light has never come on randomly when driving only when I crank the car up and it stays on until I shut it off and recrank. The car runs fine and no issue with all the electrical components at least so far. It is interesting how so many of the aftermarket alternators are causing this even out of the box. Is there something different about the Yaris battery warning light that makes it sensitive? So do I start hunting for an OEM alternator in the junkyard? What will happen if I just ignore the problem I don't want to do any damage to the car but another warning light is not a big deal. The check engine stays on with the faulty evap. cannister. The airbag light is on since I have not taken it to the dealership with the spiral cable recall (figure they will dump sand down my dipsticks so they can make more money off me). Hey I like christmas lights
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
I haven't read all the battery warning light posts so forgive me if this seems to be a foolish suggestion, but is it possible your problem is a poor battery connection?

I can see how starting the car would cause the motor mounts to twist and possibly introduce the fault from time to time.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian deacon View Post
I haven't read all the battery warning light posts so forgive me if this seems to be a foolish suggestion, but is it possible your problem is a poor battery connection?

I can see how starting the car would cause the motor mounts to twist and possibly introduce the fault from time to time.

My thought too. Likely a loose ground or starter connection/ Either way, check them and clean them. After winter the corrosion really builds up.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Aftermarket alternators almost always exhibit this behavior. For some reason they do not properly implement the signal to the cluster that tells it that the alternator is properly outputting. If you do some searching on here you will see at least half a dozen threads on the same issue.