Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Annoying front windshield hazing/fogging with wipers!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP - advice or opinions needed!

So... for the longest time now, whenever i need to use my whippers, after the blades swoosh over the windshield, they will (always) leave a HAZE (or fog) on the windshield which drives me just nuts! and distracts me while driving. And I really, really, really hate this.

I need to do something about it. I cant simply "put up with it" any longer.

This haze fades 3-4 seconds later. But then when the whippers clear my windshield of rain or wetness again, once more i hafta deal w/ this annoying haze factor. It only seems to get worse, not better.

Is it the whippers? (I'm guessing of course it must be), but I've looked at them... I dont see any sort of film or dirt or debris on them (I dont think) that would cause this...

Can any help me out here?

Thank you all so very much!

Jem

Last edited by Jem_hadar; 12-13-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Have you tried Rain-X or any other similar products that help water flow off the windshield easier? I'm quite sure it will help with this.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP - advice or opinions needed!

So... for the longest time now, whenever i need to use my whippers, after the blades swoosh over the windshield, they will (always) leave a HAZE (or fog) on the windshield which drives me just nuts! and distracts me while driving. And I really, really, really hate this.

I need to do something about it. I cant simply "put up with it" any longer.

This haze fades 3-4 seconds later. But then when the whippers clear my windshield of rain or wetness again, once more i hafta deal w/ this annoying haze factor. It only seems to get worse, not better.

Is it the whippers? (I'm guessing of course it must be), but I've looked at them... I don't see any sort of film or dirt or debris on them (I dont think) that would cause this...

Can any help me out here?

Thank you all so very much!

Jem
I believe its both, the windshield and the wipers, i think you have a thin film of oil ( air pollution) on your window, try cleaning the window with a good glass cleaner...also are you using defog, with heat? if so it may be drying the window. you should also have the selector to outside air...also consult the owners manual for other tips
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Have you tried Rain-X or any other similar products that help water flow off the windshield easier? I'm quite sure it will help with this.
I first noticed the hazing problem/issue when I applied Rain-X to the shield back in June or July.

I figure by this time the Rain-X must worn off, so that it is likely no longer the source of this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
I believe its both, the windshield and the wipers, i think you have a thin film of oil ( air pollution) on your window, try cleaning the window with a good glass cleaner...also are you using defog, with heat? if so it may be drying the window. you should also have the selector to outside air...also consult the owners manual for other tips
I will try that, thanks, taking a good glass cleaner to the outside of my windshield.

I over find I need to use defog to speed the un-hazing process along (it clears up faster with defog (even on days when its not cold out so you wouldnt think Id need to be using defog at all).

Yes, the selector is left almost always set to outside air. And I wish I had an owners manual... *somehow* a month after I got the car I somehow lost it and have never found it. And new manuals are still on back order at Toyota, so I haven't been able to purchase a new one either.

Can anyone provide me tips for cleaning my wipers, in case that is part of the problem as well. Just use my regular micro-fibre cloth? What kind of solution should I spray them with when cleaning? soap and water? some kind of store-bought product?

Again, thanks for any assistance.

Jem
Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Have been fighting this problem for the last 10 yrs.

Looks like it's a thin film of road grease as was stated.

Who has the SOLUTION!!! Would love to find an easy one.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
If you clean (and I mean Really Clean) the outside of your winshild with Windex It should fix it.

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
If you clean (and I mean Really Clean) the outside of your winshild with Windex It should fix it.

I hope so. I plan to clean it QUITE WELL and thoroughly tonight if I can get the time, and then next time I am driving and its wet out, hopefully Ill notice the issue has gone away. *crosses fingers*

In Collingwood it doesnt bother me so much, its when Im driving (especially at night!) on the 400 or 404, or when I am right downtown Toronto that this reduced visibility and effect really bothers me, bc its a distraction I really dont need somewhat impairing my driving experience.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #8
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Did you went thru the carwash ? waxing cycle put that on the windshield (even without waxing cycle you get that because the water is recycled). it will last a few days

cleaning wipers: I have no idea whether this is some protective layer or just dirt, but if you try putting Rain-X on a white cloth and wipe the rubber with it, you'll be amazed as the cloth will turn black again and again

Last edited by hystria; 12-13-2006 at 06:26 PM.
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
If the wiper rubber is not good, you have to hurry to the dealership. The warranty period for the wiper rubber and some other parts that are more subject to wear and tear is much shorter than that for the rest of the car.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #10
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I haven't seen anything like that on mine.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #11
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
I haven't seen anything like that on mine.
ugh! lucky... i hate that i have this even as an issue... i may just buy winter wipers, see if it corrects the f*cking hazing, and if it does, ill know it was the wipers!
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #12
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
All you have to do is put pure Isopropyl alcohol $2.00 at Wal*Mart (the closer to 100% the better) on a soft cloth or paper towel and wipe your wipers including the wiper on the rear window until the cloth/paper towel are filthy black and you won't see streaks on your windows until your next car wash when soap, wax or road grime are on it again.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote