Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Water pump, our turn

Well now it is our turn for the water pump to fail. 92k miles. Just for laughs I called a few places. Two dealerships quoted over $500 bucks for replacement. WTF?? I called an independent and he wanted $300. But then I remembered one thing. This was Toyota Certified used Yaris. Really a pretty decent warranty.
So the dealer will do it for only $50 bucks. We will take it.

From reading this forum, this is a too common failure. What is the dealio with that??

http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I don't know my lasted 150km and really did not need change but did it for fun lol was on its way out ...helps to work at a shop too lol
Thing is they usually go at the bearing not many leak .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
It's not a difficult repair. Just have to drop the motor down by disconnecting the passenger side motor mount. This is so you can access the bolts holding the water pump pulley and bolts on water pump. It's difficult to get a wrench or socket/ratchet on those bolts with the motor in it's normal position, because there is so little room between the frame and the water pump. It helps if you have a car lift, but you can do it on the ground with some jack stands and a floor jack.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
From reading this forum, this is a too common failure. What is the dealio with that??

http://www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html
Impossible to know the actual failure rate. (Sometimes there are multiple failures which indicates a defect in the surface of the block to me at least.) Only Toyota does and they aren't talking. I doubt a poll would really give the true #S.

Its not the typical old fashioned failure of cars past however. Yaris's just leak. Old cars the simple bearing failed and unless tended to immediately, total coolant loss resulted in a short time. Ive never heard of this with the Yaris.

It might be interesting to just torque the bolts of the wp and see what happens. Also, you might just keep adding coolant...the leak is very slow. Unless the bearing goes and the pulley wobbles I doubt total failure will happen. Periodic r and r of the drive belt and checking the pump pulley for play might be done.

I had my oil pressure sensor fail out of warranty. Like $150 at the dealer. I called Toyota Customer Service and after a time they reimbursed me so I only paid $40. I suspect I myself was the cause as I overfilled the sump once and I believe the car came from the factory with four quarts of oil if memory serves. Perhaps if people have wp failures out of warranty they might try this ploy.

In any event Im afraid this is a burden that must be born. The car is totally reliable otherwise and capable of hundreds of thousands of miles of service, more than any other.

It IS annoying however and you would think Toyota would consider its reputation and DO something about it like write us a letter here at Yaris world explaining the rate of failure and what measures they are taking.

Failing that we could all get together at selected dealerships around the country and explain the problem to management. Then we could all lay on the ground in the driveway so cars cant get in and out until they do something about it.