Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Code P0505 and exhaust leaks into the cabin. Engine also stutters idle and in gear

To get right to the point, over the last year, I have noticed that both the engine sounds like air coming out during any acceleration loudly and that while idle, if the air is not set to circulate cabin only, it pulls in exhaust. I had a mechanic tighten the bolts but this seems to not have helped much. I really don't know what parts may need to be changed. Suggestions?

Now, I am also seeing P0505 errors. A few times with maybe the AC on or rear defrost, when the car is stopped and in gear, it will stutter and almost shut off. This will instantly throw the check engine light. After reading and searching here, I have purchased 4 things, air filter, throttle body cleaner, MAF sensor cleaner and sea foam engine motor treatment.
Any suggestions on how and where to apply the sea foam stuff and if what I purchased above would help resolve the low RPM and engine stuttering?

Thanks!
PS - Attached is a short log of whats happening with some output from the car. There are many more sensors but I don't know if this helps anyone here identify any other problems. Towards the end, the car almost shut off a few times for around 10 seconds.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DataLog-May_15_2016_8-38-25-PM.pdf (47.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Lafiro; 05-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Lafiro

MAF sensor and throttle body

So without anyone's input so far, I took it upon myself to clean the MAF and throttle body.

Let me say that the MAF cleaned nicely as shown in online videos such as for the Corolla.

The throttle body, this was interesting....
Upon pressing the gas pedal, it would move slowly, jolting each movement. Pressing the pedal to the floor didn't make it go any faster and actually took a few seconds to get butterfly to fully open each time.
Used the TB cleaner and also used Q-tips and after a few seconds of cleaning, the butterfly was opening and closing better and smoother with each session of cleaning. What a difference!

The car now longer stutters and stays at slightly higher RPM even in gear, even with the AC on. I couldn't get it to act up, stutter or turn off almost like before I cleaned everything. I can actually feel slightly each press of the pedal now - Makes me miss my S65 AMG, but thats a different story for why I've been inactive here for years lol.

Check out the new readouts afterwards. Mind you all, the car didn't want to start for about 5 seconds at first.....

Monday I will throw a can of sea foam into the gas tank and Saturday coming up, if it doesn't rain, I will put a can into the motor oil and then change the oil after the 10-15 minute mark of running it. Lets hope all my engine stuttering issues are resolved.

I will update this later if anyone is interested. But I still have the major issue of a very loud exhaust right from the engine bay - Something is loose and gets worse as the engine gets warm and stays warm - very annoying and loud and definitely not something you can be proud of :(
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DataLog-May_21_2016_6-15-58-PM.pdf (44.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
But I still have the major issue of a very loud exhaust right from the engine bay - Something is loose and gets worse as the engine gets warm and stays warm - very annoying and loud and definitely not something you can be proud of :(

And that would be the gasket between the manifold and the down pipe. Lots of post on that easily searched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Good job cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body. It seems that a dirty sticking throttle body causing a code P0505 is an issue in similar Toyota engines.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/13...-where-tb.html

As for the exhaust issue you definitely have a exhaust leak somewhere near the front of the engine. The exhaust system has 3 main parts; the exhaust manifold bolted to the engine, the down pipe which includes the resonator and the cat, and the tailpipe section which includes the muffler.

http://catalog.walkerexhaust.com/cat...dStatus=ACTIVE

I would check the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe, the manifold gasket to the engine, and the downpipe right before the cat. If you can smell exhaust in the car the leak must be more than a pin hole so you should be able to see it or hear it with the hood open or looking under the engine bay. If you can't locate it that way get car on ramps or lift the front end on jack stands and get under the car with the engine running. You can run your hand along the exhaust system (without touching it) and you should be able to feel any exhaust leaks.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Lafiro

sea foam now done to car including spray into air intake

So far, cleaning the throttle body, MAF and replacing the engine air filter made a big difference. But I also now poured two bottles of sea foam into the gas tank and I also just sprayed sea foam spray into the engine.

Wow, the amount of white smoke after about 3/4 of the bottle into the engine. After letting it hot soak and running it again/driving, LOTS of white smoke. At 2500rpm I heard the valves or something LOUD from the engine - scared to hell out of me that I broke the car. I kept going up hills and keeping the RPM under the amount that caused the noise while more smoke kept coming out. Every minute that passed though, the RPM could go higher before I would hear the engine parts as if there was no oil.

After about 8 minutes of hard driving, I could rev the engine to almost max with no noise and no smoke.

Today I drove for about an hour - wow the car is smooth, revs MUCH higher in idle, in gear, with A/C on, etc. No more shaking, no more hesitation.

The combination of all of what I did above made a night/day difference to the car.

Next, I will pour sea foam into the motor oil and then change it after; well honestly after 15 minutes of driving or 100-300 miles after pouring it in? I don't know......

As for the exhaust leak, I don't know what to say as its not easy to lift the car and I don't have any mechanic around that isn't only looking to make a buck instead of a quick patch.