Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Drives: Yaris Seddan 08
Final Drive

someone knows wich is the final drive of the yaris advance? i saw in the door label that the trans is C54 and what i had read is 3.5 but i don't know

wich final drive have the t sport 1.5L? can i put this final to my advance?

DC Sports Header, Vibrant Hi-Flow Cat, Round Magnaflow Muffler, Vibrant Tip, Dunlop Direzza 195/50 Rims 15", Injen Technologies Cold Air Intake, NST CR-Lite crank, waterpump & alternator pulleys, Tanabe NF210 Springs, NST SSK 1 & 2, NST Shifter Cable & Cage Bushing Kit, Nitto Engine Torque Damper
t0m4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
the xB has a shorter final drive, i think its like 3.9 or something and it bolts up. i am planning on getting one when i finally get around to installing the TRD diff i bought and installing it in the xB box
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
The C54 has FR of 3.526

The Yaris T-Sport comes with the C56 tranny and a Final Drive ratio of 4.312

And yes you can do the swap if you have a C56 on hand.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
The C54 has FR of 3.526

The Yaris T-Sport comes with the C56 tranny and a Final Drive ratio of 4.312

And yes you can do the swap if you have a C56 on hand.
i need to change to complete trans?

DC Sports Header, Vibrant Hi-Flow Cat, Round Magnaflow Muffler, Vibrant Tip, Dunlop Direzza 195/50 Rims 15", Injen Technologies Cold Air Intake, NST CR-Lite crank, waterpump & alternator pulleys, Tanabe NF210 Springs, NST SSK 1 & 2, NST Shifter Cable & Cage Bushing Kit, Nitto Engine Torque Damper
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m4s View Post
i need to change to complete trans?
it would be a lot easier to just do a trans swap... otherwise you would need to change like half the parts in the other tranny...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

i don't just need to swap the pinion and the ring gear... the gears doesnt change...
or i'm wrong?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
i don't just need to swap the pinion and the ring gear... the gears doesnt change...
or i'm wrong?
you are right, but what that involves is a full tranny rebuild.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
you are right, but what that involves is a full tranny rebuild.
yeah but that is better to a tranny $wap $$$$ also what i'm gonna do with the old tranny if i do a tranny swap

Old 04-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/blog.php?u=5705

enjoy :)
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post

the yaris cables didnt fit? they were too long? did you try using scion ones?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Quote:

sorry but i dont get the message =/

Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
the yaris cables didn't fit? they were too long? did you try using scion ones?
The cables length were too long causing them to bend into the exhaust manifold... not good unless you want burnt/melted cables. The travel allowed by the end link of it did not allow short enough or long enough travel to engage the shift mechanism.

However the transmission from the scions does bolt up. The reverse sensor is in a similar location, the VSS is in the same place, the bolts from engine to transmission were roughly the same but the rear dog bone mount was totally off and did not work. You have to fabricate a mount to make that torsional mount work. There is no way around this, the engine will rock too much without that mount even though it is not weight bearing.

Quote:
sorry but i don't get the message =/
A few weeks ago I tried swapping in an xb transmission. Seemed like a good idea I did plenty of homework and found no reason to why it wouldn't work... so I got one, tried to install it and ended up finding multiple reasons as to why the swap will never ever ever ever work. :)

The yaris has a special transmission built purposely for ... the yaris. xA/xB/echo1stgen can all swap transmissions and a various array of other parts but it has been my experience that just don't mess with it if it does not explicitly say "PLUG AND PLAY FOR TOYOTA YARIS 07+" it probably wont work. It sucks :( and just save yourself the effort.

After driving 60 miles to pick up the xb transmission, dropping the subframe/steering/drive shafts/transmission, switching the sensors from yaris to xb transmissions, installing new transmission... only to see it not work is really a buzz kill. The car was purpose built for good mileage and a nice driving $12k car, enjoy it as is or with parts specifically for the yaris.

If anyone have any questions about the swap specifically feel free to PM me

The only way I think getting an xb transmission into a yaris would work would be to swap the actual gears into the yaris housing. The shift cables from the scions are totally different than the yaris cables, on both ends, sadly... trust me I wanted this to work sooooo bad and it just doesnt. I wasn't ready to swap gears from tranny to tranny, just dont have the kind of time or an actual transmission tear down manual for both transmissions.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #13
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
What about the Yaris TS? will that bolt up to the standard US yaris?

EDIT :
I just read above hahaha

ok so whats the advantage of having this?
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
The cables length were too long causing them to bend into the exhaust manifold... not good unless you want burnt/melted cables. The travel allowed by the end link of it did not allow short enough or long enough travel to engage the shift mechanism.

However the transmission from the scions does bolt up. The reverse sensor is in a similar location, the VSS is in the same place, the bolts from engine to transmission were roughly the same but the rear dog bone mount was totally off and did not work. You have to fabricate a mount to make that torsional mount work. There is no way around this, the engine will rock too much without that mount even though it is not weight bearing.

A few weeks ago I tried swapping in an xb transmission. Seemed like a good idea I did plenty of homework and found no reason to why it wouldn't work... so I got one, tried to install it and ended up finding multiple reasons as to why the swap will never ever ever ever work. :)

The yaris has a special transmission built purposely for ... the yaris. xA/xB/echo1stgen can all swap transmissions and a various array of other parts but it has been my experience that just don't mess with it if it does not explicitly say "PLUG AND PLAY FOR TOYOTA YARIS 07+" it probably wont work. It sucks :( and just save yourself the effort.

After driving 60 miles to pick up the xb transmission, dropping the subframe/steering/drive shafts/transmission, switching the sensors from yaris to xb transmissions, installing new transmission... only to see it not work is really a buzz kill. The car was purpose built for good mileage and a nice driving $12k car, enjoy it as is or with parts specifically for the yaris.

If anyone have any questions about the swap specifically feel free to PM me

The only way I think getting an xb transmission into a yaris would work would be to swap the actual gears into the yaris housing. The shift cables from the scions are totally different than the yaris cables, on both ends, sadly... trust me I wanted this to work sooooo bad and it just doesnt. I wasn't ready to swap gears from tranny to tranny, just dont have the kind of time or an actual transmission tear down manual for both transmissions.
wow, i know your pain... i did the research on xA/xB shocks, ordered a set of xB Koni's and they are close, but not close enough. so frustrating...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwasabi View Post
What about the Yaris TS? will that bolt up to the standard US yaris?

EDIT :
I just read above hahaha

ok so whats the advantage of having this?
The TS may have a different transmission than the USDM yaris but you would have to order it from overseas and pay for shipping... expensive!

having the xb/xa transmission would give you shorter gears, basically feel faster. It all has to do with gearing the "taller" the gears, generally the slower you will accelerate. the "shorter" the gears the quicker you will accelerate.

I wanted the scion transmission for autox since there are times where to make a corner requires down shifting to first for a split second because 2nd gear is just to slow to start accelerating from... but through my endeavors I found that the scion transmission will not work. Close but no cigar!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
gwasabi

so the TS uses a custom c56 transmission meant just for the yaris? I figured all Transmission within the code should be the same? doesn't a MR2 also use a c56?

And I guess it's not really a advantageous unless your gonna stay all motor then? if you want turbo then it'll be better to shift later since it needs to spool right?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Not a custom one... just a C56

There are variants of the same transmission. For example the MR Spyder tranny that you mentioned. Is a C56 also but it comes with a housing for the rwd mid ship mounted spyder engine.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
gwasabi

so would a C56 from a celica or Corolla bolt up too?