Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #19
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
White looks so much better. Unfortunately, it's probably pearl white.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #20
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #21
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
I'm not a fan of how car manufacturers are going to a "tablet style" infotainment screen that sticks out of the dash. Looks cheap to me.

The gaping, wide mouth design of the front grill is less than desirable but that is Toyota's thing nowadays. The 2019 Avalon has an even larger mouth. :O

Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction. I would consider it if I was looking to buy a new car. I almost purchased a Scion/Toyota iM awhile back and this looks like a better car.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you not like about Pearl White vs something like Super White? Just not a fan of metallic flecks in the paint & prefer a flat white color - or is Pearl White just an off-white type color?
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #23
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Here's where I get stuck: 168 bhp, 3,000 lb curb weight. Compared to the 2ZR swapped Yaris, that's a small barge. Compared to the Fiesta ST, it's an Imperial Star Destroyer.

It's definitely a step in the right direction though!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
Runethecursed

In fact of raw performance, It'll be slower, but the market isn't catered to power. Toyota builds cars that sells, and if the hatchback looks the spicey part but is turn key reliable for 200+K miles and comes in at a decent price, they won.

that all to be said. i would love to be on the GR team for making a Gazoo hatchback.. can you say turbocharged 250 hp in a hatch? I can... Ill say it again in fact. hahaha
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #25
Kalispel

The 2019 SE/XSE Corolla hatch will have about 25% more horsepower per pound of curb weight than the Yaris, so I'm guessing Toyota was shooting for an 8.0 sec 0-60 time for the automatic, while maintaining the same or better MPG as what the outgoing iM achieves. Practical, sensible, but still fun/pleasant to drive - exactly what most commuters want in a daily driver.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #26
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Would you pick this over a Mazda 3?

I am curious about the Mazda 3. Every review i see they say Mazda still the bench mark the most fun car in this segment. So I am like, hmmmm.. really? F it i might get one and find out what the fuss is all about...

junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #27
Kalispel

Mazda has various spotty reliability issues still (the Mazda2 iA/Yaris-Sedan included). They don't use crappy CVT's (which is great), but their regular automatics (& even manuals) have still been trouble-prone for many, among other things. Straight direct inject engines are also more trouble than they are worth, & require professional cleaning for carbon build-up every 30K miles. The new Toyota engine is a hybrid multi-port/direct-inject engine that shouldn't have the carbon build-up problem that straight direct injection has. Their new CVT w/launch gear also removes the feel/performance downside to straight CVTs & should be a lot more reliable than a regular CVT due to far less stress being put on the CVT due to physical gear doing what is normally the hardest work for the CVT. Toyota seems to have really upped its game on the new Corolla hatch (& likely sedan in 2020) across-the-board. If I was going to spring for 'newer-tech' than my Yaris hatch, I would definitely go with the 2019+ Corolla/Auris hatch over a Mazda. That's my personal take on it. I really want to like/support Mazda (& Subaru), but unfortunately they keep stepping in it when all factors are considered.

Last edited by Kalispel; 05-21-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #28
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you not like about Pearl White vs something like Super White? Just not a fan of metallic flecks in the paint & prefer a flat white color - or is Pearl White just an off-white type color?
I generally like solid paints more than metallic, especially for red, white, and black. The only metallic paint I like is silver, and even then not too much metal flake.

IMHO, pearl white paints are unappealing colours that change and yellow under different light conditions and look horrid as the sun is setting.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #29
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
...and also, pearl is not a metallic flake, that is a metallic flake. pearl is a...uh coating? it's a semi-translucent effect, like clear coat, but not clear.

all's i'm sayin' is you can have a flat color in pearl. that's all...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #30
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
i want one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lpx5njDCGI
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #31
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
I'm interested in seeing how the next-gen TNGA Corolla sedan (likely a pure sedan-clone of the hatch, sadly enough) & TNGA Yaris shapes up as well. I also want to see what the model year 2022 Corolla hatch refresh looks like in 3 years, or if they offer a hybrid version (which is supposed to happen sooner or later here). Even the 2019-2021(?) refreshed Honda HR-V might have some potential now if it stays away from an unreliable straight-up direct-inject or turbo engine. Direct injection engines suck unless they are paired with some supplementary port-injection to keep carbon deposits at bay, avoid engine problems, & costly cleanings every 35-40K miles. Toyota was smart enough to do this now that they are finally moving to newer engines, unlike most other short-sighted manufacturers who rushed them to market years ago.

Interestingly enough, a 2018-2021(?) black Yaris SE hatch is still on my radar, and seems more probable of a purchase for me really (new or low-mileage used), since I like the trustworthy, time-tested mechanics of the car, the basic size/profile of the car in general, & the fact that it has a minimum of stupid tech bloat. It's just more my kind of car really (simple & practical, yet still can be fun potentially). We shall see, when 2021-2022 rolls around.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #32
Runethecursed

fanboy wing and color and all. sad news the Toyota dealer wont take my yaris on trade..
Old 07-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #33
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:

Of all the Yaris pics out there, you managed to pick one from the dealership I used to work for!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #34
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:

IMHO, pearl white paints are unappealing colours that change and yellow under different light conditions and look horrid as the sun is setting.
You just made her sad.

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #35
Kalispel

Can't say that I am a fan of the front design, even in blending black, and the bulging hoodline is just odd. That front grill brings nightmares of the iA front styling. Shame, because the rest of the exterior design is actually quite good, with the exception of the fake, tacky, dual exhaust chrome outlets. Definitely a love-hate relationship on my part with regards to the 2019 Corolla hatch (I also dislike interior design with the big standing tablet display). All-in-all, a black 2018 Yaris SE looks better to me, overall (in a charming, dorky sort of way), and certainly less pretentious.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #36
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Is it possible to be pretentious in a Corolla ?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote