Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #1
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
Question about adding another key and fob

Hi everyone,

I did about 2 hours of searching and can't get a clear answer so I hope I can get some answers here.

I bought an 2009 Yaris 4d hatchback that came with just one remote entry 3 button key. I would like to ad a 2nd and 3rd key/keyfob with the same functions to use daily and leave the master at home.

1. The key I have now has a DOT on the blade so I take it I have a transponder? How can I tell if it's the MASTER key?

2. If I buy a USED yaris key that is the same model number from another yaris off eBay can I pair it with my car using the open door and keying "dance"? Or will that only work if I buy a NEW key fob?

My plan would be to buy a used key fob take out the internals and put it in a flip outstyle key body and get the blade cut.

My concern is if a used key will require me to have to take it into the dealer then I might as well spend the extra and buy a NEW virgin key.

So is it possible to buy a used key and DIY this?
rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
rcvmini

I should also mention I have a Canadian model yaris
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I have a smartkey (even worse in terms of getting a duplicate) and have done a bit of research when it comes to key copying.

As far as I am aware, you can buy a blank transponder key from various sources (ebay, locksmiths etc) you can reprogram them to your car using Toyota Techstream tool which you probably dont have.

I dont know how it will work in Canada, but I assume you can go to most car locksmiths and they should be able to do it at a rate much better than the dealer.

Don't ask what the dealer will charge me for getting an extra smart key.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #4
rcvmini

Thanks but for somereason I thought a transponder key can be self programmed

My key FCC id is MOZB41TG so I'd it even a transponder key?

Good idea about asking a locksmith. I'll look at that as an option if needed
Old 01-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The key fob can be self programmed using the procedure that is posted in a couple of threads on here, but the transponder programming requires the TechStream tool.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
rcvmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The key fob can be self programmed using the procedure that is posted in a couple of threads on here, but the transponder programming requires the TechStream tool.
Is it because its used? Can i self program with a new key? Or will I'll have to get the dealership to program it either way?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
Is it because its used? Can i self program with a new key? Or will I'll have to get the dealership to program it either way?
New or used you can not program the transponder without TechStream.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
rcvmini

Ok CTscott thanks for clarifying that. But if that is the case how come there are a few websites and YouTube videos saying it can be done diy without the texhstream tool?

Also saw this smart key programmer tool on eBay says its for Toyota 4d keys. Connects to the obd2 port. Only $16 bucks would this work?

Last edited by rcvmini; 01-30-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok CTscott thanks for clarifying that. But if that is the case how come there are a few websites and YouTube videos saying it can be done diy without the texhstream tool?

Also saw this smart key programmer tool on eBay says its for Toyota 4d keys. Connects to the obd2 port. Only $16 bucks would this work?
The service manual does not list a non-Techstream procedure (as it does for adding the fobs), and I believe that those who have tried the posted procedures have found them to not work with the Yaris.

The device on ebay could possibly work. It would just need to properly emulate what TechStream does. Unfortunately it doesn't give enough detail in its description to know for sure.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
rcvmini

CTscott upon further reading I think it is because once a master key is registered with the car with tthat procedure once any key added after needs the tool to program it.

At 16 bucks I think the eBay tool might be worth a shot. I only have to figure out what a 4D and 4C key are. On another site people have reported it worked for an fjcruser and some other cars
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
CTscott upon further reading I think it is because once a master key is registered with the car with tthat procedure once any key added after needs the tool to program it.

At 16 bucks I think the eBay tool might be worth a shot. I only have to figure out what a 4D and 4C key are. On another site people have reported it worked for an fjcruser and some other cars
Your 09 Canadian Yaris have a immobilizer. so you will need that to be programmed too..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Correct on the master key part. With a new ECM that has no keys programmed you can add the first key without TechStream.

I have never heard the 4C and 4D terms, but looking at some of the sites that sell blanks, the Yaris is listed as using 4D.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
rcvmini

CTscott,

Yes everything I have seen so far tells me the YARIS is 4D so i think I'll order the smart key programer and give it a try.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
rcvmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Correct on the master key part. With a new ECM that has no keys programmed you can add the first key without TechStream.

I have never heard the 4C and 4D terms, but looking at some of the sites that sell blanks, the Yaris is listed as using 4D.
CTScott,

I think the 4D is a ref to the non fob key as I have seen them lised as model "4D67"

Last thing I still am not sure about is can I buy a used keyfob and program it even with the tool or at the dealership? Or are they "imprinted" permanelty to the car it came from?

I plan on taking out the guts of it and putting it in a flipkey body so the cut key on the old keyfob is not an issue as I will have to cut the flipkey anyways. Just concerend that a USED keyfob will somehow be already "locked" to the previous car
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott,

I think the 4D is a ref to the non fob key as I have seen them lised as model "4D67"

Last thing I still am not sure about is can I buy a used keyfob and program it even with the tool or at the dealership? Or are they "imprinted" permanelty to the car it came from?

I plan on taking out the guts of it and putting it in a flipkey body so the cut key on the old keyfob is not an issue as I will have to cut the flipkey anyways. Just concerend that a USED keyfob will somehow be already "locked" to the previous car

The programming process makes the car learn the ID of the key, so there is not a permanent connection to the car. Each remote is unique, so the person who owned the car that it came from can not come and steal your car with his other remotes.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
davss

Drives: Yaris CDX 1.4 D-4D 09/2002
Hi,

I have a Yaris from 09/2002 CDX 1.4 D-4D UK and recently replaced a falling apart original black remote key case with one that was cut by carkeyhelp.co.uk from a tag number attached. All the other keys have been lost by previous owners. To my surprise all is working despite a couple of bad reviews for this website. Now, after reading some forums about £900+ for a new ECU if I loose my only master key I got back to them to enquire about a transponder key (they said they'd not get a good price for remotes and that should get one from Toyota). A transponder key is about £18 including cutting so this is an optimal option for a car worth £1400.

The problem is that instructions to determine which key I have from these guys don't match i.e. they say after inserting master key into ignition without turninng the security light should go off instantly but it keeps flashing as if no key was inserted. Also, if it was a valet key the security light would go off after 2 seconds so it's not the one I have either. Then last one states that if my key is unprogrammed the security light would keep flashing. This is what's happening in my case but with this key I can operate all funcions and start my car (have been using for the past 3.5 years). So, none of the three information is correct in my case and the security light only goes off instantly when I turn my key to ON position when all dashboard lights come on. Therefore, am now puzzled and not certain what key I have and whether it's worth getting another one cut with transponder that can be programmed by myself.
davss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #17
rcvmini

Anyone reading this thread. I was able to program a used key (cut a new blade on a flip body case) transponder and keyfob. Moved it to an aftermarket flip case and cut that key. It all worked using the ebay programming tool I got for $16. This was a few years ago and looks like I'm going to be doing it again for the Yaris I just got yesterday.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #18
ron17571

Drives: 2014 Yaris I
I was thinking about my key.the FOB is separate and has no buttons. I was wondering if the car needed it to run. So, I took it off the keychain and my daughter went out and started the car without the FOB. The FOB has some kind of FCC and number on it. thoughts on this key with no FOB built in?
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote