Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Congratulations and welcome to the site.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #38
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
I did the passenger side today, and it was a bit difficult to do. Using a small mirror helped me to see the clip that I had to move out of the way to get the bulb out. The owners manual was a little bit of help to me. Yes, getting the rubber off the old bulb is tough. I did not remove anything, just got me hands in there and did what needed to be done. The bulb I replaced was 62 months old.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
MissWinters
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Well thank goodness for this forum. I have just replaced my passenger side bulb today, thanks to the help of some of your posts.

I first attempted it and got as far as pulling out the plug and popping off the top part of the black rubber piece. But I couldn't get the whole thing out, and the space was so cramped it just did not make sense to me. I read this forum and tried again today. Thankfully I did not need to remove the bumper or anything like that, it was only the passenger side and I have small girly hands. After much toiling, pushing, pulling and easing, the rubber top came off and then it was all much easier. Pushed in the clips and pulled out the bulb. When I swapped in the new one I was concerned...it didn't seem to be fitting properly. I looked at it through the headlight while placing it, and also double checked the prong placement in the manual. When I got it to what seemed to be the correct place, I figured the clips would keep it in place. But one of the clips didn't seem to be holding on as tightly as the other, and the bulb was loose. I had also been using a small mirror which helped out, but at this point I was so tired of doing the darn thing I just put the rubber top back over, plugged it in and I'm hoping for the best. If it is loose and ends of moving a bit I'll just try again, but being that I'm a girl who knows nothing about cars, I'll be super stoked if it even works. I had called my usual auto shop today and they told me it would be $69!!! Effing ridiculous. Thanks for everyone's advice and help, I'll be back to let you know if it works or if I need to fix it again.
MissWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #40
Redbat01
Yaris-My All Purpose Car!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
I own a 2008 Yaris 3-door liftback. I removed and replaced the driver-side headlight bulb today. I attempted to reach-in behind the headlamp assembly, but I could not see what I was doing, so I decided to log on here, at Yarisworld, to find out how other people replace the bulbs. At first, the idea of removing the front bumper cover to remove the headlight assembly seemed like a lot of work to replace a light bulb, but the instructions appeared to be easy. And so I did it that way. I was done in about a half-hour, without any problems and without skinning my hands. Thanks, everybody, for sharing your advice. You made my day easier!
Redbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #41
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
I was able to replace the headlight bulb on the passenger side on my 07 Yaris HB without removing anything, but it was TOUGH. The rubber boot around the bulb was a real pain to get off.

The driver side headlight just went out last week (about a month after the passenger side went). Pretty good for having the car for about 8 and a half years without having to replace any bulbs. Anyway, I tried to see if I could get the bulb out from the driver side without removing anything and even with my thin, long fingers I was not even able to get the electrical plug out of the bulb. It's just too damn close to the fuse box housing to get my hands in there, and I cut the hell out of my hand on the edge of the fuse box housing while trying to do this. Unless you have truly dainty fingers or a child with strong hands good luck getting the driver side bulb out without removing any other parts.

I'm going to have to wait until I have access to a garage to change the headlight. It really aggravates me that Toyota would design something so RIDICULOUS to go through this much trouble JUST to replace a damn bulb.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #42
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Dropping the front bumper cover is no big deal. I would recommend doing both at the same time however to avoid doing it again in the near future.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #43
yaris250kandgoing
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
bulb replacement

Have done this three times without removing the bumper. tip one.. don't try to remove the boot from the bulb. Disconnect the terminal and pull the boot back fare enough to release the bulb retainer clip. then carefully pull out the boot with the bulb still attached. Tip two.. start with the passenger side first. There is more room and you will be able to learn how to release the bulb retainer clips. its tight so be prepared for some skinned knuckles..
yaris250kandgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #44
BuzzMahovlich

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Here is my input. I have a '08 3dr, made in Japan and sold in Canada, and due to a suicidal dog on the highway and the resulting damage/repairs, the bumper is not removable anymore. Meaning I had to go the bloody knuckle route to get at the headlight bulbs. So after two hours, here is what I learned;

Take the connectors off with a flat blade screwdriver. Easy.

I tried to remove the rubber boots after that. The large end that goes around the plastic holder was easy, but the small end was pretty much glued on the bulb so I left it attached. I folded the rubber back and found the clip that holds the bulb assembly in. My problem here was I couldn't see the clip and I had the wrong idea in my head of how it worked. It is horseshoe shaped, with an inward 'v' on each side and hinged at the bottom. For removal, the clip needs to be stretched out to the side, not pinched in. I found that the hook 'v' on each side of the clip is visible from the front of the headlight and that told me if it was unclipped or not. Once I got past that, the bulb assembly was loose. After dropping it down into the fender well a couple of times, I got it out.

I then removed the rubber boot from the bulb assembly by stretching it perpendicular first, breaking the bond it had with the light. There was no way it would ever have pulled off parallel, and it probably would have torn if I had forced it.

Half way done.

Reassembling, I silicone greased the rubber boot contact area and slid it on the new bulb. I left the rubber boot extended out and put the bulb back into it's hole. I oriented the bulb properly in the headlight slot, then with my pinky I got the clip back up and managed to get one side clipped in, again looking through the front of the headlight to make sure it was in. I got the other side clipped in, then folded the large end of the rubber boot over the plastic holder, greasing that too.

Once the boot was on, the connector was put on and done.

So what I learned. The drivers side is incredibly tight. Even seeing in there is difficult. I did loosen the entire headlight assembly, and that gave me a couple of millimeters of wiggle room when I needed it. Every little bit helps. Pull the boot out with the bulb, don't try to take them apart while it's in place - plus if/when you drop it down inside, it's easier to find and grab. And use the grease, you'll be thankful the next time you have to do this. Tools needed; flat blade screwdriver, silicone grease, offset or long needlenose pliers, 10mm wrench (for headlight assembly), flashlight, nitrile gloves (for handling light bulb), thesaurus (for looking up different words to describe your frustration and anger).

All in all, prepare for skin loss and blood. Toyota could not have put the fuse box in a worse place. Did they think nobody would ever have to access the headlight bulbs?

But I still think this is a great little car, tough as nails and runs like a Rolex. With good snow tires, it's a monster for winter driving.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #45
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Just remove the bumper it takes less than 10 min and you keep your skin lol

This is for hb only the sedan u can go with out bumper removal.

Sent from my Note 4 or not so flagship killer op2
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #46
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^ not w/ my fat swimming hands you can't. Plus like you said, once you take the bumper off once it is so easy to do again.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #47
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Thankfully, I didn't need to replace a headlight bulb on my 07 hatchback. But, I did have to replace the left rear turn-signal bulb... and that was a PITA!

BTW, will we encounter the same difficulties replacing headlight bulbs on the 3rd generation?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #48
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Third Gen hatchback is easy. There is no need to drop the bumper - plenty of room behind the light assemblies. I didn't lose any skin.