Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
Bidoup

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 3dr BB
Winter Tire

well Winter is comming so I started to look around for winter tires.

Which one did you buy and how much it cost ?
Bidoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
riceboy

Drives: icebox
last couple times I got pirellis... they were about $425 with everything in... they were fantastic!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I just ordered some Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's (185/60's) mounted on 15" steelies from TireRack. Cost shipped: $488 (US). It's been a few years since my last set of Blizzaks, but I'm sure they'll be quite good.

Any dedicated snow tire (or any other single-purpose tire) should be worlds better than an all-season tire for its intended purpose.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Goose... which cornfield you live in? :) BTW, I have never ran a snow tire, living in Ohio & Michigan, I always get a Good quality All season to run all year around.... snow tires are a waste of money in our area, they wear out too fast because snow will be on the ground for a week or so... then no snow for a couple.... then snow again.... bare pavement eats snow tires alive.... the funny thing is I sell tires for a living, and I tell people not to waste their money on them
Old 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm outside of Fostoria.

I agree that winter tires don't last that long on dry pavement (EDIT: although you should still get several snow seasons out of a set). My comments were strictly regarding snow tire performance on snow/ice versus that of all-season tires. With different sets of wheels/tires, I swap them pretty often depending on conditions.

Your advice to your customers regarding snow tire durability is sound and I commend you for your honesty.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I won't bother with snow tires this year.

Last year we had snow for about 4 weeks, the rest of the time the road were bare. I destoryed a set of $400 snow tires in a couple months on my truck.

I have had the chance to drive my yaris in some very messy snow conditions already this year and the OEM all seasons work pretty good. No super great but it handles 5X better then my truck with 4 snow/ice tires did. No problems with steering or braking even in 1' of unplowed road conditions.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
riceboy

Drives: icebox
nice... I haven't picked up tires for mine yet, but I'll consider it if I go up north as much as I normally do.... it can get pretty damn nasty!!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
nice... I haven't picked up tires for mine yet, but I'll consider it if I go up north as much as I normally do.... it can get pretty damn nasty!!

I saved my OEM steel rims to outfit a set of snow tires. There were some pretty revealing tests done in Consumer Reports rating All Season and Winter tires . Since I will be in snow country and can afford it I figure safer is better. Most all season seem to have less traction over a wide range of conditions when comparing traction in winter conditions.
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Bidoup

well I finally decided to buy 4 goodyear Nordic(175/65/r14) from Canadian Tire, my friend has them for 2 years and he loves them, for the price i'm sure I can't go wrong. It cost 415$ (CAN) with the installation

I'll let you know how it handle on my Yaris.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
I had the nordic track on my old car, there where ok, but they can't handle heavy stuff. Bidoup if you go up north alot like tremblanc, la tuque, vald'or etc. like i do sometime then you need the Hakkapaliita Nokia series. For me i get winter tires from countries that have long hard winters, if they can survive there they will do fine here like. But it my opinion.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #11
Bidoup

well i mostly do city driving so they should be good for me. Maybe I'll go in Abitibi during christmas time to see some family but that's it.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
I would like to and plan on getting my snow tires in January.

Want to get the Michelin X-Ices. I hear they are really excellent. ^5
Old 03-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
I second the perelli's, I pick up an almost brand new set a few years ago for my Mk1 CRX and they were the best I've used so far. I stay away from Canadian Tire's brand of tires, even though they are produced by other manufacturers because I have owned some on several occasions and was plagued by sidewall failures and other quality issues.
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote