Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
final installation of nology hotwires

alright guys well I got around to remounting the nology hotwires yesterday. I have also included some pics of the engine i recently purchased after taking a few things off. first off though i will start again with the picture of the engine bay the way nology says to install them.

now i will walk you through the steps of installing them the way I did in case you like the looks of my engine bay, I apologize chino its still not clean haha
First I started by removing the wiper cowl, which consists of popping off the wiper arm covers and removing the 14mm nut underneath, pull off the wipers and remove two plastic screw pieces on the far ends of the cowl, then just pull up and remove, remove the wiper fluid line and you can pull the cowl off and set it aside. From there I drilled two holes in the bracket supplied from nology for the ignition coils and I drilled two holes in the wiper cowl. Take care in measuring the distances to make sure the holes will line up the first time. I then just took two scrap pieces of a 90 degree angle about an inch in thickness and drilled two holes in that. After bolting each ignition coil to the bracket continue to then bolt the bracket to the 90 degree elbows and then to the wiper cowl. Here is a close up to give an idea at least.

Now on to the tricky part, luckily the engine I bought had extra igntion coils harnesses. This made it easy to run the wires before having to cut into the existing ignition harness run 4 wires for each it is easiest to get 16 different colors, but it is doable with 4. The white wire in each is actually a ground so what I did was splice into each of these wires and did a nearby ground wire connecting to the bolt securing the bracket to the wiper cowl.

It is easiest to wire everything up first as far as connecting all the wires before you try and hide the wires and everything, I added about 2 - 2 1/2 ft of wire I kept them together and straight out to make the wiring job easier.

After this I just soldered the wires together and wrapped them all in electrical tape making sure to cover the connections with shrink wrap as well. After that I just tucked the wires underneath the main harness and used black electrical tape to hold them in place. This is the final result before installing the engine cover.

once that was completed and the wires were connected to the ignition coils you can reinstall the wiper cowl. Oh I forgot to mention but before you tape everything up its a good idea to start the car and make sure all your wiring is done correctly. You do need slight modification to the stock engine cover. You are required to take a small portion off of the back drivers side of the engine cover it is easily done with a hacksaw or air body saw if you have, the plastic is very easy to cut, here is just a shot of the quick cut, it doesnt have to be cut pretty because it isn't possible to see this part of the cover.

and here is the final result

I wrote this over a decent amount of time and lost track of my thoughts a few times, if there is a step you feel i have missed or need more explaining just feel free to let me know. Also here are two pics I took while taking the extra engine apart last night

turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
turboyaris

p.s. i installed the TWM short shifter yesterday as well... Very nice I love the feel a lot better, kinda reminds me of my 240 with a B&M shifter. I got the bushings as well and it definately removes a lot of the squishiness in the shifter. Definately a good mod, only thing that gets me is I set real far back from the steering wheel and its a little more of a stretch then stock, but when I get some different seats in the car it will be lower and the reach will be just right.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
sorry to ask such a newbie question but what exactly do these do?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
sorry to ask such a newbie question but what exactly do these do?
Provide more spark to the Engine!

Tell us more about these Wires...

How much did they cost?
How long did the Installation take?
Has there been a noticable difference in How the Yaris responds?

Please more info!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
damn..thats alot of messing with engine...

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
turboyaris

original post
here is the original post it should answer more of your guys questions sorry I forgot to include it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
questions answered. Thanks and keep up the good work
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
turboyaris, what model year engine did you get for the spare? i went to pick up the echo engine from the junkyard but i didn't trust the guys there when they said they had done a compression/leakdown test.

so i asked them if i could get my leakdown tester and do one before taking the engine and they got all mad about me wasting their time. so i walked out.

anyways does it look exactly like the yaris'? or at least be able to swap it out once is build?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
Holy Chain guide and tensioner, Batman! Those are frickin long.... maybe I am just a noob to imports, never see em that long on domestics
Old 04-18-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
That is a long ass chain......something you'd see wrapped around snoops neck....
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
turboyaris

haha my 240sx had chain guides and a chain of about the same length so I don't think its anything too crazy, it's just a lot of people arent used to seeing the chain anymore everyone has a belt. As for the engine its out of a 2005 scion xb yes the engine looks exactly the same, it is the 1nz-fe only thing i would guess is different is maybe the cams. Esp. since the engine is out of an auto and my yaris is manual. After it is built though it will make no difference castings are probably exactly the same.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #12
turboyaris

i also didn't really care about doing a leakdown test or compression test, however the place I got my engine from was a very upscale junkyard (if you can believe) they had everything for almost every car, front clips for porsches stuff like that. They actually had a startup warranty on it, not too sure about the details cause once again I didn't really care because it was all being dismantled and taken apart. There are a few very upscale looking junkyards in the pittsburg area I don't really know where in OH you are but I would just go to www.car-part.com and see if the junkyard has a website, just to get an idea of what level of junkyard they are.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
turboyaris

good place to start http://www.all4n.com/homepage.htm warranty and a free delivery to anywhere in OH
Old 04-19-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
thanks man. i checked that link and it says they have 3 in stock for $250. great deal.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Have you taken your car to the dyno once again to see actual numbers?
nice DIY but kinda a lot of work messing with cables an others.

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I'm not very clear on how "more spark" is supposed to help combustion any? If you have a bucket of gasoline, it's gonna blow up the same... doesn't matter if you use a torch or a match to set it off. Can someone explain?

~YR
Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Cool project! And if you got that new of a motor for only $250, I think you did good. So what are the plans for the new motor?

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #18
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
The re-route looks great. And you making me more and more jealous with your setup. Stop upgrading already!!! Seriously though, nice work.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote