Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Installed gold battery terminals and tucked power wires for clean install

So I am trying to clean up my engine bay and what better way than tucking away the power wires to my amplifiers for a clean install and at the same time getting better connections with gold plated terminals which will never corrode.

Here is how it looked before with the power wires hanging off the bolt and probably not the best but the only real good place to connect them.

This is how they are connected now i cut the ends off the terminals and stripped the wires and are connected directly into the battery terminal. The wires are now going to be run down the back of the battery so are not visible in the engine bay for a cleaner install.

I had the grind down the plastic/metal of the fuse panel to accommodate the wider battery terminal.

And heres the end result.

I was going to do the negative terminal as well but i couldnt take the terminal off without taking off the strut bar and i left some of my tools at the shop. Hopefully tomorrow i can get that one on and install my ground wire kit.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Looks great! Would this also eliminate or significantly diminish corrosion if everything else = stock? I get quite a bit of corrosion.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Which battery brace? Stock?
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Where did you purchase them from? Can they be bought from any Auto Parts?
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Looks great .

However, gold can still tarnish to a certain extent.

The only thing that causes standard terminals to corrode is the terminal not being sealed correctly which is not much of a problem as it was once was. It certainly is not a problem with your Optima.

Gold electrical contacts against anther gold contact is great of course but, when you pair gold against another metal in an electrical circuit , it can actually cause some corrosion as the metals react against each other

Also, if the battery terminals are not also gold, what is the point? If corrosion is indeed a problem, they will still corrode.

Anyway, they do look nice.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Thanks I got it mainly for looks, i think if anything it does help give a better connection for my stereo power wires cause I bypass the ring terminals and go directly from the bare wire to the battery terminals. I payed about 11 dollars for them on ebay if you do a search there are many different styles and availability for those looking to do the same mod.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote