Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #73
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I just bought a cabin air filter I'm not sure how it goes in.

In this picture it has an arrow pointing up:

And on the filter I bought it also has an arrow, do I install it so that the arrow on the filter is also pointing up?

I would assume so but I'm confused because one side of the filter is furry and the other side has plastic mesh, so yeah I don't know which way the air is flowing and whether the furry or mesh side should be getting the flow of air.

Little help?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #74
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Arrow goes up on the plastic cover, down on the filter itself. Filters are labeled for direction of air flow.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #75
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
The filter that I bought at the dealer was square. Plus I do not remember seeing any arrow. Do it yourself after buying a new one to use as a cut guide sounds OK to me. It looked to me like you could install the OE filter any old which way you want and the filter would clean the same. The basic filter is good for catching lung cancer causing soot from trucks. You really need a HEPA filter to cut allergens. So you may live a little longer using the air filter. I think that activated carbon air filters are over rated. You need a chemically reactive filter to have real impact reducing toxic road fumes. Those types of filter have a heavy use life of 4 hours. Some air filters for house units have a metal wire backing to support the air fliter. The metal wire backing must be installed toward the unit.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #76
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Arrow goes up on the plastic cover, down on the filter itself. Filters are labeled for direction of air flow.
This is true. If any of you look at an air filter, you'll see a difference in texture and appearance. Air filters that are not just a basic pad of cloth are supposed to be installed a certain way, as they will catch more dust, allergens, and other pollutants. Special HEPA filters meant for a house's air circulation system can catch debris up to half a micron in size, which would include paint and metal vapor.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #77
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
I just bought a cabin air filter I'm not sure how it goes in.

In this picture it has an arrow pointing up:

And on the filter I bought it also has an arrow, do I install it so that the arrow on the filter is also pointing up?

I would assume so but I'm confused because one side of the filter is furry and the other side has plastic mesh, so yeah I don't know which way the air is flowing and whether the furry or mesh side should be getting the flow of air.

Little help?
The air flow is going down. I always install my filter with the furry side up since that is the side that will come in contact with the air first.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #78
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The arrow on the cover is only there to indicate how the cover goes on.

Air flow on the cabin filter is from top to bottom.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #79
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Just for grins, I finally got around to looking for my filter. Nope

So, I guess I will find that DIY on filter making.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #80
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
Our 07' sedan didnt come with one and my 09' liftback did not have one either(still needs one)
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #81
amtoro

Drives: 2009 3LB Metheorite
I discovered mine had the filter missing too and I consider that unacceptable; it is like like telling you that the gas cap is optional if you want to avoid the fuel going away in the air... I went to the dealership and after showing them the manual where it says (paraphrasing) " Do not operate the A/C system without an air filter installed or damage may occur to the system" the service department said I needed to call Toyota and get a case # from them and if they get a service order from Toyota they would give me one.

Not happy with that, I talked to the sales manager, he gave me a "We Owe" note to take to the service dept.
They gave me the filter and I installed it in about 30 seconds.
amtoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #82
ivanivanix

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback White
My experience with Toyota Mall of Georgia was totally negative. After reading this thread, checked and there was no filter. Bought my 5 door a month ago. Called my salesman, he told me it's the first time he ever heard about it, but "no problem, come to service dept. and they will install it for you. If they refuse, have them call me!"

We agreed on the time, I came and Service denied my eligibility. "Well, call my sales guy, he will tell you" - "We already did, and he says the same thing". Ticked off at the futility of my visit, I rush off to work and give him a call. That's where the denial starts: "I told you that I didn't know anything about it." - "Why didn't you tell me your opinion over the phone not to come for nothing?" ...more denials in reply.
Gave a call 800 number and they were very surprised at my experience and told me that the matter will be straightened out through the dealership customer relations manager. Let's see what happens. By the way, this particular dealership also screwed up a guy who referred and brought me them, denying the referral payment saying that they "discontinued" it, then sending me an invitation later to refer somebody for a reward. Not the nicest experience around.
ivanivanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #83
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanivanix View Post
My experience with Toyota Mall of Georgia was totally negative. After reading this thread, checked and there was no filter. Bought my 5 door a month ago. Called my salesman, he told me it's the first time he ever heard about it, but "no problem, come to service dept. and they will install it for you. If they refuse, have them call me!"

We agreed on the time, I came and Service denied my eligibility. "Well, call my sales guy, he will tell you" - "We already did, and he says the same thing". Ticked off at the futility of my visit, I rush off to work and give him a call. That's where the denial starts: "I told you that I didn't know anything about it." - "Why didn't you tell me your opinion over the phone not to come for nothing?" ...more denials in reply.
Gave a call 800 number and they were very surprised at my experience and told me that the matter will be straightened out through the dealership customer relations manager. Let's see what happens. By the way, this particular dealership also screwed up a guy who referred and brought me them, denying the referral payment saying that they "discontinued" it, then sending me an invitation later to refer somebody for a reward. Not the nicest experience around.
That sounds like a dirty group of people. Not sure if I lucked out but I've had really good service for a year and a half at both dealerships I've dealt with here. Always friendly, never got ripped off. Very fast when ordering parts as well. Hopefully you have another dealership nearby you can go to as an alternative to that place. They're only hurting themselves by treating their customers like that.
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #84
ivanivanix

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback White
Update: that 800 number (800-331-4331) is really effective putting the dealership's attitude straight - not 3 hours passed and a manager from the dealer was on the phone with me saying "I've checked and indeed you were supposed to get a cabin filter. Was it not there when you checked? Let's set up an appointment for you". Looks like they really listen to their corporate HQ for one reason or another. May have to do with perks and awards when the time comes.
ivanivanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #85
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
I'm going to check for the filter and of course it won't be there. Then I will call my dealer and see what happens.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #86
toddo

Drives: 2009 LB
Thanks to this thread I checked for the filter and of course it wasn't in there. I went back to the dealer, the sales manager saw me first and asked if he could help me. I told him about the missing filter and that the manual states you shouldn't operate the a/c without it. He drove the car around to the service department and brought it back with the filter installed. No questions asked and an apology on his part. I wonder if it was because I left a piece of paper on the passenger seat with "Toyota Customer Service 800-331-4331" written on it
toddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #87
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I have no AC so no air filter, cost 5$ at walmart for a furnase (sorry my spellink suk tonight!) and you cut it in 4 pieces so 5$/ 4 = freaking cheap filters!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #88
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
So I was looking through the owner's manual and saw this:

So does the arrow on the filter go up or down?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #89
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Interesting. Maybe the OEM filters are labeled opposite of airflow to make it match the arrow on the cover. Aftermarket ones are definitely labeled for airflow and therefore should be installed with the arrow pointing down.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #90
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Hey everybody. Just thought I would chime in on the DIY filter thing. My '07 with A/C did not have one, so thanks to this thread I bought a furnace filter and made some up. I then made myself a note to check it it 90 days. Man, it was black! Of course I changed it right away. Now, I'm not out in the country or anything, just out in the burbs of a small city. Couldn't believe how dirty the thing was.

I don't know if this tip is of any value to anyone, but I used one of the 3M Filtrete filters--the 600 rated one in the light blue package. Even though it has an aluminum mesh reinforcement I was concerned of the possibility that, since it was cut into pieces, it might collapse and fall down into the distribution tubing. I wanted to find something to slip in there to support the filter to prevent that. In our garden shed we had a few of those black plastic trays that garden centers give you to carry small potted plants--they're maybe 30" long and about 16" wide, and have like a criss-cross mesh bottom to them. I took one of those and cut myself a mesh support for my air filter and slipped into the filter housing. It works perfectly. There's still plenty of space to slip the filter in and I never have to worry about it collapsing and getting sucked down into the distribution system. This way I don't bother trying to tape up the edges of the cut filter, or taping cardboard to it to strengthen the edges. I just slip the cut filter in there and I'm done.

There are probably a lot of other things you could use the make a support, but that's what I had on hand.

FWIW...
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote