Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
paulyd0021

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatchback
HELP!? HORRIBLE drive home during first REAL Snow in Michigan

Hey guys, so tonight I was driving down M15 from Davison to Clarkston and it had been snowing for a long time before I started driving and was just starting to rain and sleet. Anyways there was about 3 inches of fresh snow on the roads and its 2AM so no plow trucks have really come through yet.

I was a little nervous to venture out, but also a little excited because this is my first winter with my 07 Yaris Hatchback and the first time I've driven it in the snow. My last car was a Hyundai TIburon and that thing was awful during the winter.

So my drive home...was GOD AWFUL. I expected the yaris to not handle that well in the snow, but man, this drive home was like a drive through hell if it had frozen over. I could barely keep control of the car. Literally if I went over 35 I had major problems keeping her steady or from drifting.

The roads were bad, but not bad enough that I should have to drive under 30 mph in order to avoid certain death. Every time oncoming traffic neared me, I was half way sure that my life was about to end, especially where there had only been one path carved out by cars so both directions were using it.

SO basically I'm hear to ask for any help and advice you might have for me on how to "winterize" my yaris. After tonight I'm definitely thinking about investing in a set of good snow tires. Any suggestions on which or any other ways to not make driving this winter a death sentence?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
paulyd0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
good snow tires are the most important thing to consider IMO if you live in an area that gets much snow/ice
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Same here. Get yourself a pair with a good set of teeth!
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
get studded snow tires for all 4 , not just the front . If had to stop sudden it makes for uneven braking that may cause your rear end to kick out .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
get studded snow tires for all 4 , not just the front . If had to stop sudden it makes for uneven braking that may cause your rear end to kick out .
Studded tires work great on ice,not so good in snow and terrible on dry roads,good snow tires will out perform them on anything but ice.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Studded tires work great on ice,not so good in snow and terrible on dry roads,good snow tires will out perform them on anything but ice.
Not to mention Illegal in some areas!!!!!!!!!
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Slush, which is the bulk of what you were driving through, is the hardest for the Yaris as it is so light that it "floats" on the stuff rather than biting into it. It is disconcerting at first but if you learn to relax, and to not force the exact line you want to be on all the time, that the car will track fairly well. You'll learn that swinging a few inches in either direction really isn't that big of a deal, especially since you're in a narrower vehicle to begin with.

That said, the proper speed during inclement weather like that is a maximum of 35 MPH, and you found out why. Stick to 30-35 MPH next time and you'll do fine.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Did you check your tire pressure?

I know I forgot to check mine when the temperature dropped, but luckily the dashboard light woke me up :)

I my Yaris
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
snow tires would help a great deal,

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Are there any low cost yet good snow tires? I cannot afford to outfit my car with something $300-400 in the horrible money sucking month of December.

My first drive was horrible too, first snow in my 09 and at one point I went through a slow motion slide towards a railing on a turn... I heard a crunching noise (idk, maybe the snow, or the car?) and the brake pedal felt like it wasn't going down.. is that normal..?

Thankfully, it was so slow and the car stopped right before the railing.. I get paniced thinking about driving to work now, before I couldnt care less about the car I drove during other winters.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
Are there any low cost yet good snow tires? I cannot afford to outfit my car with something $300-400 in the horrible money sucking month of December.

When it comes to prices for snow tires whats you and your families life worth?
Get some Bridgestone Blizzaks for about $75 each.
And paulyd0021 did you really think you could get through a northern winter with no snow tires?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
In that kind of weather, why would you want to go faster than 30 anyways? It's better to make it home later than to not make it home at all, ending up with a busted vehicle and a headache from getting it fixed.

I drove home last night around 1130 from Ann Arbor to Garden City, I don't think it was as bad as your drive up there but it was still a good amount that was coming down. I wasn't sure how my car would handle due to this being the first winter with it being lowered with shocks, springs and thick rear sway bar (last winter only thing done to my car was a TRD sway bar, this time I have the UR 23mm along with the suspension mods). Also the thing I wasn't sure about was how the car would react since I changed those rear axle bolts up to the higher placing since doing that the cars reaction when steering is much more responsive and direct.

Overall, I'd say my car did better than I thought it would. Better than when it was stock height I dare say.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
You started out nervous and expecting the ride to suck and it did... surprise! Seriously you gotta relax somehow and the car will handle better if your not all uptight. I lived right next to lake michigan for 20+ years and know the conditions well. Best advice is to make sure the tires are in good condition and inflated to what the manual says. Too low and they float too much and too high and the snow traction sucks. This is not the time to be squeezing out every psi for hypermiling. Take the car out somewhere safe and spin it a couple of times and you will get the feel for it and better know when you are about to loose it. Beyond that sometimes you just have to drive slow and carry a bucket of kitty litter to throw on the snow if you bury a tire in a drift and can't get out. (having some spare gloves hat and a flashlight aren't bad either) good luck.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
snow tires >>> all seasons
Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
If you were running on the OEM mexically all-seasons your observations are no surprise.
Buck-up for some WINTER tires pronto.
Adding a rear anti-swaybar will help it cope with the heavy crosswinds which I'm sure could send a OEM shod Yaris completely off-course and with little chance of timely recovery, which may be disastrous.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Adding a rear anti-swaybar will help it cope with the heavy crosswinds which I'm sure could send a OEM shod Yaris completely off-course and with little chance of timely recovery, which may be disastrous.

I drive in an area that sees hurricane-force winds and not once have I ever been pushed out of my lane, or even come close to it, even in the depths of the biggest winter storms up in the mountians.

Save your money and some resources and don't bother with a sway bar.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

I drive in an area that sees hurricane-force winds and not once have I ever been pushed out of my lane, or even come close to it, even in the depths of the biggest winter storms up in the mountians.

Save your money and some resources and don't bother with a sway bar.
Our Canadian air must be more dense.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Someone just told me to buy the heaviest salt bag and put it in the trunk to make the car heavier and to have incase you get stuck in snow. Wonder if that would fit in the hatch and be worth it.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice, snow, tires, wet, winter