Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
paulyd0021

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatchback
HELP!? HORRIBLE drive home during first REAL Snow in Michigan

Hey guys, so tonight I was driving down M15 from Davison to Clarkston and it had been snowing for a long time before I started driving and was just starting to rain and sleet. Anyways there was about 3 inches of fresh snow on the roads and its 2AM so no plow trucks have really come through yet.

I was a little nervous to venture out, but also a little excited because this is my first winter with my 07 Yaris Hatchback and the first time I've driven it in the snow. My last car was a Hyundai TIburon and that thing was awful during the winter.

So my drive home...was GOD AWFUL. I expected the yaris to not handle that well in the snow, but man, this drive home was like a drive through hell if it had frozen over. I could barely keep control of the car. Literally if I went over 35 I had major problems keeping her steady or from drifting.

The roads were bad, but not bad enough that I should have to drive under 30 mph in order to avoid certain death. Every time oncoming traffic neared me, I was half way sure that my life was about to end, especially where there had only been one path carved out by cars so both directions were using it.

SO basically I'm hear to ask for any help and advice you might have for me on how to "winterize" my yaris. After tonight I'm definitely thinking about investing in a set of good snow tires. Any suggestions on which or any other ways to not make driving this winter a death sentence?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
paulyd0021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ice, snow, tires, wet, winter