Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
How Do These Spark Plugs Look?

I pulled out my OEM spark plugs last week at 69958 miles. I replaced them with some NGK Iridium premium plugs (didn't feel like waiting until 120k miles). How do the stock ones look? The right two (cylinders 3 and 4, right?) looks like it's has more deposits/wear on them than the left two. What do you guys think, anything I should be concerned about?

First pic is of all four. The second and third pics are the left two cylinder's plugs and the right two, respectively, with flash. The last two pics are the same, but without flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (101.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.jpg (87.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (78.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (115.2 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.jpg (114.4 KB, 192 views)
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Some other info:

I use only Chevron gas (87 most of the time, and 91 once a month), with the exception of the gas that came with the car, and the couple of tanks that this company filled up when they took my car in for repairs (third party power package). I've used Seafoam once, and some fuel injector cleaner (Chevron) once or twice. Bought the car new back in October of '06.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
They look about nomal for the amount of time they were in service.
I pullled the stock NGK iridium plugs out of my Celica at about 60k miles and they looked like yours or possible a bit cleaner.
However, it was a comuter car and ran 40 miles daily at highway speeds.

The fact that they have a bit uneven deposit is not a concen in itself and is not that uncommon.

BTW I would never leave a plug in for 100k miles either and your plug pics clearly illustrate why.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
normal wear to me also.. nothing to be worried about.. You would be suprised how long OEM toyota sparkplugs last. going over 100k is pretty common for toyota plugs.

I mean, if they really wanted to make money off us, they can easily say R&R every 30k miles. I feel technology these days has definitly improved within the last 15-20 years. Oil changes are now every 5k, T-belts 120k also now. Fuel filters are never changed cuz now most are in the tank. No more distributors. I think Toyota is nice enough to not rip us off that bad =)
my 2cents
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
ecc_33

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris
nice, now put them back in and run them until 120k lol
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Thanks for the info, guys.

lol, I actually threw away the OEM plugs. I probably should have kept them and gave them to someone. hahaha. Oh well, they saw their fair use. hahaha
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
normal wear to me also.. nothing to be worried about.. You would be suprised how long OEM toyota sparkplugs last. going over 100k is pretty common for toyota plugs.

I mean, if they really wanted to make money off us, they can easily say R&R every 30k miles. I feel technology these days has definitly improved within the last 15-20 years. Oil changes are now every 5k, T-belts 120k also now. Fuel filters are never changed cuz now most are in the tank. No more distributors. I think Toyota is nice enough to not rip us off that bad =)
my 2cents
Actually no.
Auto maufactures are always telling the public that their cars are more maintenance free than the compitition's. It just plain marketing.

This is why they are all telling owners to leave things like oil and plugs in a bit longer than they should. Those are the two main engine maintenance items.
Once one maufacturer does,they all have follow to stay competitive.

Yeah, modern oil and plugs have a longer sevice life than in the past.
However, the maintenance schedules are pushing the limits a bit....IMO
Maintenance schedules are designd fot "normal" driving but, few cars fit that catagory exactly.......more marketing.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-20-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Actually no.
Auto maufactures are always telling the public that their cars are more maintenance free than the compitition's. It just plain marketing.

This is why they are all telling owners to leave things like oil and plugs in a bit longer than they should. Those are the two main engine maintenance items.
Once one maufacturer does,they all have follow to stay competitive.

Yeah, modern oil and plugs have a longer sevice life than in the past.
However, the maintenance schedules are pushing the limits a bit....IMO
Maintenance schedules are designd fot "normal" driving but, few cars fit that catagory exactly.......more marketing.
Yea, in a way i do agree its a marketing thing, and they may be pushing the envelope a bit on certain things. I would have to say when I was a Toyota tech and then a Lexus tech, when doing certain maintenance stuff like your 120k and 150k, you get to see how long oem stuff lasts.

another example, O2 sensors are disigned to be replaced every 30k miles (I think its actually 15k but I know its a rediculous now number). Who actually does that until they go bad? How long has your o2 sensor been on your car?

Hell, now toyota has a the Pink coolant that you are to NEVER flush. There is no interval for coolant replacement. It lasts as long as the car does, and i have seen the same stuff in a 120k car (with little to no problems)

IMHO, I feel technology has made a huge jump. I've seen it with my own eyes and I am confident in leaving my oil in my car for 5k miles or even 10k miles, with a filter change every 5k.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

As for the coolant, mine has dried up once (Toyota tech said that it's normal for it to evaporate over time?).
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
As for the coolant, mine has dried up once (Toyota tech said that it's normal for it to evaporate over time?).
Yes, it's normall for it to "evaporate" over time.

The reson is, glycol will leak out of the smallest path were plain water will not. Even a tiny. undetectable leak will make the coolant level go down over time.

However, the amount should be small and nothing should "dry up" over the course of say, a year.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yes, it's normall for it to "evaporate" over time.

The reson is, glycol will leak out of the smallest path were plain water will not. Even a tiny. undetectable leak will make the coolant level go down over time.

However, the amount should be small and nothing should "dry up" over the course of say, a year.
Oh, it wasn't a year, it was at least three years. lol. I guess I never noticed it when ever I worked on my car until the day it was a little below low.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
A crazy little tidbit is that I recall back in 95 I was at work with my parents 86 corolla and I kid you not...187k on the car with factory plugs. I go out to the car to start it at 2a.m. after my shift is done (thankfully during the summer in Northern Maine) and it wouldn't start. Come to find out part of the porcelain on a couple of the plugs had just about turned to dust. I was floored that my dad never checked them at all in the life of the car to that point, but he said he never did cause he believed in Toyota quality...what a hoot!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

^ hahahaha