Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
yariseggvvti

Drives: Yaris Hatchieback
battery light on and off

I got my alternator replace and the battery light on and off. Battery with 100% good. The vehicle running find but the light is on and off. when the light is on kinda blinking dim. Any idea??? Thanks!!

2007 hatch with 72k now. What else I need to check. Ground cable is good.
Autozone alternator is good enough I think. I am going to order one from Toyota. I am going to install it this weekend. Hopefully the solve the problem.

Last edited by yariseggvvti; 11-28-2012 at 02:27 AM.
yariseggvvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariseggvvti View Post
I got my alternator replace and the battery light on and off. Battery with 100% good. The vehicle running find but the light is on and off. when the light is on kinda blinking dim. Any idea??? Thanks!!

Autozone alternator is good enough I think. I am going to order one from Toyota. I am going to install it this weekend. Hopefully the solve the problem.
That seems to be a common problem with aftermarket alternators. They don't seem to properly output the signal to the cluster. Have you measured the voltage with the engine running to see what the actual output of the alternator is?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:

This happens here in the UK with some aftermarket alternators not only on Toyota but other makes as well. If bought from a reputable supplier, usually OK but there seem to be a lot of cheap rebuilds which are not OK. I think the quality of the components used is not up to the mark, particularly the rectifier and regulator. Just one leaking diode will create the problem you describe.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
yariseggvvti

Thanks for you time CTScott and Geoff Peace.

your information helps a bit. I am going to replace OEM Toyota alternator. I hate the light come on the off. It makes me feel annoying. Lucky I purchase the alternator with 28% off the list price. Dont trust any none OEM replacing parts.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
yariseggvvti

Finally got the factory alternator in now. Running fine and no more battery light on and off. Spend little extra money taking care the problem is worth.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Finally got the factory alternator in now. Running fine and no more battery light on and off. Spend little extra money taking care the problem is worth.
What did you do with the bad one? I'd like to take a look at one of the aftermarket ones to see why the heck they all act this way.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Next time go to the on line junkyard and get an OEM part.with 30k miles on it.

The alternator, water pump, calipers, master cylinder, exhaust system and in fact everything but the MAF and brake pads/shoes on my sons 2000 ECHO with ~180,000 k miles on it are origional.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
yariseggvvti

I return it back to Autozone. I am using it for about two weeks.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Ecoman44

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback Manual
Reviving an old post because I have a similar issue. I have an aftermarket alternator, but it's been in the car (2007 Hatchback) for over a year now with no issues until now. Occasionally, the battery light and airbag light will flash on then off (sometimes just the battery light). When it happens, I can hear a difference in the load on the engine (slight, but it's there). When running, volt meter on the battery reads 14.5v +/- and when not running it reads 13.3v +/-. Could this be the same corrosion issue with the regulator?
Ecoman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoman44 View Post
Reviving an old post because I have a similar issue. I have an aftermarket alternator, but it's been in the car (2007 Hatchback) for over a year now with no issues until now. Occasionally, the battery light and airbag light will flash on then off (sometimes just the battery light). When it happens, I can hear a difference in the load on the engine (slight, but it's there). When running, volt meter on the battery reads 14.5v +/- and when not running it reads 13.3v +/-. Could this be the same corrosion issue with the regulator?
Could be intermittently sticking brushes - easy enough to check if you're up for dismantling the alternator.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes. The alternator is definitely bad. Many of the aftermarket ones are just refurbished or recycled OEM ones. I have a couple of spare alternators on hand if you need one.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Ecoman44

The one I bought had a lifetime warranty, so let me see what I can get accomplished that route, then I'll contact you if I need one CTScott. Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The one I bought had a lifetime warranty, so let me see what I can get accomplished that route, then I'll contact you if I need one CTScott. Thanks!!
There you go - Definitely hit up the lifetime warranty.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yeah, for alternators, I would check locally to see if you have a rebuilder nearby. Then, take your original and have it rebuilt, or have them install one they rebuilt. With aftermarket quality varying greatly, Napa has been up and down on quality as is with O Reilly's. But never want a pump (power steering/water/any) or (starter/alternator) electrical motor from AZ or ADV. They are mostly junk, hence the lifetime warranty.
The absolute best route is a local rebuilder, we have one in town and they are great.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Ecoman44

So, since I hate it when folks don't come back and report on what fixed the problem, here I am. Replaced the alternator, under warranty and at no additional cost, and all is well. We do have a shop here that I have had rebuild starters and alternators before, but I went this route as it was the quickest way for me to get my dependable mode of transport back on the road. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
So, since I hate it when folks don't come back and report on what fixed the problem
+1
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 PM   #17
Miryai

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris HB
Quote:
I hate necro'ing a thread, but it seems I'm having a similar issue.

I just replaced my alternator (I'm on my fifth one...in about 2 years.) I've replaced the battery recently. I'm getting the battery light, my airbag light and my power steering light on.

All 3 lights will go away after awhile, but whenever the power steering light comes on, even going 40mph+ the wheel will lock up, and I can't move it. It's becoming more of a safety concern now.

I've also noticed that my headlights will also be quite a bit brighter.

I've had the alternator and battery tested in the past week and everything is "functioning" as it should. All the numbers match up to what should be standard. All the mechanics I take it to, think I'm crazy, until I show them the videos I've taken of it happening.

I've also recently blown threw a new set of headlights. All 4 filaments were burnt out, but no fuses needed to be replaced.
Miryai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miryai View Post
I hate necro'ing a thread, but it seems I'm having a similar issue.

I just replaced my alternator (I'm on my fifth one...in about 2 years.) I've replaced the battery recently. I'm getting the battery light, my airbag light and my power steering light on.

All 3 lights will go away after awhile, but whenever the power steering light comes on, even going 40mph+ the wheel will lock up, and I can't move it. It's becoming more of a safety concern now.

I've also noticed that my headlights will also be quite a bit brighter.

I've had the alternator and battery tested in the past week and everything is "functioning" as it should. All the numbers match up to what should be standard. All the mechanics I take it to, think I'm crazy, until I show them the videos I've taken of it happening.

I've also recently blown threw a new set of headlights. All 4 filaments were burnt out, but no fuses needed to be replaced.

Do you have any way of measuring the voltage when the car is running? You can purchase the little volt meters that plug in to the lighter outlet for about $5 on ebay, if you do not. It would be interesting to see what your alternator is putting out. From the behavior you describe it sounds like it may be running over voltage instead of under.

Are you are purchasing aftermarket alternators?

Also, have you checked the ground straps between the engine and chassis? Since the engine is mounted with bushings, those straps are the only ground for the alternator.