Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Ryan042

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS Hatchback
MT-90 in the cold

Hey guys, I noticed in the winter time my transmission was really hard to shift with MT-90 oil into first gear. Even right now there's definitely some resistance shifting into the first gear. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or have a different oil recommendation that would help? I am using the under hood short shifter kit without the bracket, but even before it was brutal to move in the winter.
Ryan042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan042 View Post
Hey guys, I noticed in the winter time my transmission was really hard to shift with MT-90 oil into first gear. Even right now there's definitely some resistance shifting into the first gear. Does anyone else have this issue, and/or have a different oil recommendation that would help? I am using the under hood short shifter kit without the bracket, but even before it was brutal to move in the winter.
Yes, sometimes I have to double clutch in the winter to get into first. For some stupid reason I thought the car would shift better with mt-90 in the cold but it was worse. I think I will be changing it before next winter. To be fair this winter was insane in upstate ny. Once the temps were 20-30 degrees, I still had plenty of resistance pushing into first but it was much easier shifting than in the sub zero temps I experience for most of the winter.

Edit: just to clarify I'm using the fahrenheit system

Last edited by GrayYaris; 04-26-2014 at 08:48 AM.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
I've had the same experience with MT90 in colder weather. Takes longer to warm up.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Isn't 75-90 the Toyota Specification?
I have both the under-hood and in-cabin shift kits installed and have absolutely no shifting issues running 75-90 Synthetic.
Shifts are crisp and clean.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I am using AMSoil 75w90 synthetic, and no issues.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MTGQT-EA

I always have some resistance when shifting in 1st on a rolling stop, but it's never an issue when i'm stand still, although shifter might seem stiffer under extreme cole (10 to 0F)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Ryan042

MT-90 is 75w90 synthetic GL-4, it shifted great before the winter. The -40C weather must have killed it.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46

I may look at AMSoil, does anyone have any other suggestions? I was going to look and see what Motul has.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
I've been using Royal Purple for years and it did seem harder to shift this winter. Never had an issue before or with other cars. Switched to Valvoline Synthetic because of cost when I did my clutch recently, hafta see how it goes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
BobTheYaris

Drives: '08 Yaris HB 2 dr
MT-90 in the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I am using AMSoil 75w90 synthetic, and no issues.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MTGQT-EA

I always have some resistance when shifting in 1st on a rolling stop, but it's never an issue when i'm stand still, although shifter might seem stiffer under extreme cole (10 to 0F)

The resistance while coming to stop is from Toyota being cheap and not putting a synchro between 1st and 2nd. Took me a few months to unlearn that habit.

BobTheYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Ryan042

Could my resistance be from a master or slave cylinder gone bad? It seems to be pretty notchy. Is there a way to test the cylinders? I was looking at motul and found one that looks pretty good but is GL-4/GL-5 does anyone know if this will work?

https://www.motul.com/ca/en-US/produ...%5Brange%5D=25
Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
GrayYaris

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan042 View Post
MT-90 is 75w90 synthetic GL-4, it shifted great before the winter. The -40C weather must have killed it.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46

I may look at AMSoil, does anyone have any other suggestions? I was going to look and see what Motul has.
Weird now that it's warmer I haven't experienced any problems.
GrayYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYaris View Post
The resistance while coming to stop is from Toyota being cheap and not putting a synchro between 1st and 2nd. Took me a few months to unlearn that habit.

No it isn't. First gear is not designed to be shifted into anywhere above 10 miles an hour. It is geared to be almost useless outside of starting. There might not be a syncro there, but that doesn't matter, the gear is almost useless.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Ryan042

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayYaris View Post
Weird now that it's warmer I haven't experienced any problems.
It's not as bad as during the winter but there's more resistance there. It was silky smooth before the winter.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
No it isn't. First gear is not designed to be shifted into anywhere above 10 miles an hour. It is geared to be almost useless outside of starting. There might not be a syncro there, but that doesn't matter, the gear is almost useless.
can't agree more with that. But, i've also found that when the engine is still cold, it could be hard to shift in 1st, since the idle is over 1000rpm!
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYaris View Post
There is most definitely a synchronizer between 1st and 2nd gear. You wouldn't be able to move the lever into first while moving at all without girding the piss out of the gears otherwise without rev matching the input shaft to the output shaft.

A synchronizer is like a brake that acts between each gear. As you apply pressure to it, it slows/speeds-up the input shaft to the same speed as the output shaft to allow the gears to mesh. Some gear oils are too slippery and thick for the synchronizer to grab the input shaft and spin it up to speed, and that's what makes it difficult to shift into first while moving.

If you put it into neutral, let the clutch out and blip the throttle, then quickly put the clutch back in and shift to first, you help the syncro out by manually speed up the input shaft with the engine.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
Ryan042

I'm gonna try switching over to Amsoil MTG eventually, I'll let you guys know if it helps.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
JDMeg

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I put mt-90 in my hatchback over the winter. Had a lot of -20 days. I found it just slightly harder to shift into first the first couple of shifts, but it felt normal by the time the cool light went off. Stock transmission fluid did the same thing. Made my shifts way smoother feeling overall, and cleaned up a lot of an ongoing issue I have downshifting into second gear.
JDMeg is offline   Reply With Quote