Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Ilovemyyaris

Drives: Blue 5 door hatchback Yaris
Question The most economical speed for the Yaris.

Hello everyone. I was reading some comments on yahoo news about saving gas and I was reading the comments when I ran across a comment that said this

Quote:
i love it when people who know nothing about cars and physics write articles on fuel consumption. your manufacturer can recommend a cruising speed to optimize your fuel consumption. not all vehicles will get better mileage by reducing speed. . . and according to the article. . . reducing speed from what base speed? not all vehicles (with different weights, consumption and compression ratios) are going to get the same mileage at the same speed. some of which you might not being driving fast enough, for instance a heavy vehicle may need a faster speed to maintain momentum versus its compression ratio.
And followed by other commenters.

Quote:
Here's an experiment I did with my '96 Honda Accord 4 cylinder going from Los Angeles to Mammoth Lakes, about 300 miles one way through the desert.

65 mph - 30 mpg
70 mph - 32 mpg
75 mph - 33 mpg
80 mph - 32 mpg
85 mph - 26 mpg
90 mph - 21 mpg
Quote:
Since then, I NEVER drive faster than 80... I try to go in the 70 mph range depending on traffic and conditions... YMMV...
Quote:
To say it another way, at say 2000RPM, a given engine in going to use "x" number of gallons per minute, regardless of how fast the car is going. Depending on what gear you are in, your care may able to go say 45mph, 55mph, and 65mph all at 2000RPM. Simple math will tell you that if you are going 65mph at 2000 RPM, you will use less fuel than if you are doing 45 at 2000.
Quote:
My pick-up gets the best gas milage at about 53 MPH. It up shifts between 50 and 55, and I can maintain 53mph, with an RPM of about 1200. I let the RPM drop a little, and I down shift, RPM jumps to about 2000, and I settle at about 51mph.
Quote:
JohnA-you are wrong. I have monitored my gas, I absolutely get better mpg at 65 than 55. Seventies is even better. This was confirmed when I asked my mechanic, and he said the car was designed to travel at higher speeds.
Quote:
Exactly. My 2011 Diesel F250 in 5th gear at 40 mph gets about 14 mpg and after hitting 50 mph and it shifts into 6th gear it gets about 20 mpg.
So I was wondering is there a specific speed for the Yaris to achieve the most optimal mpg?
I know it's low RPM in the highest gear right? My Yaris doesn't have an RPM gauge so I can only tell by how loud the engine sounds and I can't really tell. I think I hear it the softest at 45-50 mph I generally go about 55-60 on the highway.
Ilovemyyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Do you have a Scangauge? It would in an invaluable tool for this, as it can tell you instantaneous MPG as well as RPMs

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
heres what i usually see on the hwy

75 mph - 36 mpg
80 mph - 36 mpg
85 mph - 34 mpg
90 mph - 32 mpg
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
A single speed is not the best way to get the best gas mileage. I assume you have an A/T though. Hypermiling is a term you want to get familiar with for the best gas mileage. Now how far you are willing to go is a different story.

I do agree getting a Scangauge is the first thing you should do to get better gas mileage.Scangauge from MI.

The check out all the threads in the Fuel Economy forum. There is a ton of stuff their to help you get better gas mileage.

Tags
yaris fuel economy speed