Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
kaymm

Drives: Yaris Liftback 3dr (Silver)
Question about lights

Do the tail lights turn on automatically when you drive at night? I was driving home last night and some guy told my lights were off. I know my front lights were on. But didn't notice my rear lights. I assumed all new cars turned on the lights automatically and also turned it off when you shut off the engine.

In my old car, I had to turn a knob to turn on all my lights (front and rear).

What is the knob on the left side of the steering wheel for?

Thanks.
kaymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
ketel0ne

Drives: 2007 Liftback Blazing Blue
No and this is a reason some are doing away with the DRL's, the speedo and radio are all lit up, the "headlights" are on, and then you get pulled over for no tail lights. Because you haven't turned the switch on for all the parking and tail lights, and the dash lights go dimmer, and I suppose the drl's change.

With DRL's its like the lights are on, and some have had a hard time getting used to having to turn everything else on.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
kaymm

Drives: Yaris Liftback 3dr (Silver)
So i have to turn the knob to get my tail lights on. I rarely drive at night so I didn't notice. You know I got pulled over by a cop in the first week I drove the yaris at night and he didn't mention anything to me about the tail lights, he was wondering why I was so slow, stalling and stuff, I was still getting use to a manual stick. hehe

So when I shut off my engine, do the tail lights stay on till I turn the knob to turn it off?

I forgot a few times on my old car and battery went dead...
kaymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #4
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
No and this is a reason some are doing away with the DRL's, the speedo and radio are all lit up, the "headlights" are on, and then you get pulled over for no tail lights. Because you haven't turned the switch on for all the parking and tail lights, and the dash lights go dimmer, and I suppose the drl's change.

With DRL's its like the lights are on, and some have had a hard time getting used to having to turn everything else on.
if the light knob is switched to OFF, are all of the interior lights on, such as the HVAC lighting?? the speedo is optitron, so its always lit. are the radio buttons lit as well, or just the screen. i am a little confused by this post. if the light knob is switched to OFF, then only the DRL's, optitron speedo, and radio DISPLAY should be lit, correct??

--B
Old 04-20-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
On mine there is a head light icon indicator when turned on.
There is also a switch under the parking brake that turns the lights off if the brake is engaged. Otherwise as soon as I start the car the headlights come on - I disabled this switch. My lights ONLY come on when I turn them on intentionally.

Edit: all my lights are LED. Including my Headlights - 5500k, Daylight.